• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neighbors...

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad to hear you've made progress towards a permanent solution. Unfortunately they sound distinctly like the kind of people who'll never be satisfied. Once they can no longer hear the birds, they'll find something else with your or another neighbour to whine about.
I'm sure they will. I forgot to mention that someone filed a complaint with the city that we are running a commercial breeding operation on the property. While I'm a hobby breeder, I'm nowhere close to being a commercial scale breeder. I reviewed the complaint and the ordinance it mentions and we are well within the legal parameters to breed macaws in our backyard. It's not like we're breeding pigs or cattle.

Once construction is done, they are going to get a certified letter with a legal notice to never contact us again. I spoke to the community liaison officer for the police department and that was their suggestion. Any additional complaints or contact from them would be considered harassment. Unfortunately, she's exceeded my capacity to be polite and the legal notice will keep her at bay until we decide to sell this place and move.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Buying a house is such a gamble in terms of neighbors. The night before I made an offer on my house I knocked on every door on the both sides of the block in an attempt to gauge the feel of the neighbors. I was only able to speak to one or two people.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buying a house is such a gamble in terms of neighbors. The night before I made an offer on my house I knocked on every door on the both sides of the block in an attempt to gauge the feel of the neighbors. I was only able to speak to one or two people.
With the exception of this couple , the rest of the neighborhood has been amazing. No one has an issue with the birds and some enjoy the sounds. I’m not the only one who is not birds either. I think we’re just the current target and some of the neighbors feel that there is a mental health issue at play as well.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We got a notice from the city that the complaint was closed with no violation found. I'm glad, but it makes me wonder what the next ploy will be from those two. Construction starts on March 22nd and we're having some preliminary work done this coming Friday. I've asked all of the contractors to be as loud as possible during the permitted construction hours.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got the best news on Friday. Our horrible neighbors have a for sale sign in their front yard. Everyone is thrilled to death. We may have a block party when they leave.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You know Brian, I'm totally on your side about this. But there could be an angle or a way that walls come together that make the sound louder on her side. You might walk over there just to double check. Perhaps take your noise meter with you.

Reason I'm saying it, I live on water. One neighbor has parrots outdoors.....11 of them. Another neighbor complained. I was standing at the complainant's house one day when the birds became raucous. It was shockingly loud. Even louder than when I'm in the first neighbor's living room and they start up. It's the way sound bounces off the water.

Anyway, I don't mean to insult you at ALL and I do support you 100% but knowledge is power. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

The rest of that story though is we do not have a noise ordinance. So neighbor #2 called the neighborhood code enforcement, and eventually the police. They did show up but stated they cannot do anything. Hopefully this is the case for you as well and everything will settle down soon.

Things like this are so stressful.
I think you made a very good point, sometimes we have to literally go over there to see it from their view. There are times we all get fustrated at poeple when they do something, and we forget to get the closest point of their view we can. Sometimes there is something we are missing, or something someone has that we can't possibly understand until we experience it as well. You could be very well be right about your neighbor exaggerating, or looking for drama. But there is still that small possibility there is something we are not seeing, and causing this problem :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you made a very good point, sometimes we have to literally go over there to see it from their view. There are times we all get fustrated at poeple when they do something, and we forget to get the closest point of their view we can. Sometimes there is something we are missing, or something someone has that we can't possibly understand until we experience it as well. You could be very well be right about your neighbor exaggerating, or looking for drama. But there is still that small possibility there is something we are not seeing, and causing this problem :)
They have been unpleasant with everyone around them. I feel that we tried to do everything we could, but she couldn't even acknowledge that we were trying. In my own experience, when someone has a problem with everyone else, it isn’t everyone else that is the source of the problem.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can your neighbors please take our neighbors along with them? :D