• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing to remove carpet

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
The carpet in the room we rent out will need to be replaced. The room itself is at back right end of the house 1st floor and Echo's room is upstairs right front end of the house. We're trying figure what's the best/safest flooring, that's low voc, doesn't off gas lo, ect. Does anyone know what would be the easiest/safest? Also something relatively inexpensive would be good too.
@JLcribber

Urg! I'm so stressed about this house, it needs so much work done to it. And my father left us with a lot debt when he died so financially we aren't good. :sad1:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
A big problem is where to take him. He currently on antibiotics for a sinus infection. My vet could potentially board him. He is their best behave avian patient, so she's quite fond of him. But I'd have to supply a cage which is difficult, but possibly doable. I'm dealing with alot chronic pain which makes things more difficult. Its just really been a lot lately

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You can keep doors closed between him and the new flooring. He doesn't need to boarded elsewhere.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
You can keep doors closed between him and the new flooring. He doesn't need to boarded elsewhere.
That would be great if I didn't have to take him anywhere. I definitely keep him upstairs and away from the room. I'm worried what we might find under the carpet. Right now we are leaning towards either vinyl or laminated

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
After going thru moldy bathroom twice in year. I can add some tips. Put Echo in the furthest away room possible, set at least one air purifier with new HEPA filter in that room. Close the door tightly and cover with sheet plastic and painters tape all the edges no gaps, on the day the remove that carpet. If possible put another air purifier between the room Echo is in and the one losing the carpet. Once the carpet is out sweep out that room with N-95 dust mask on you. Get a box fan in a window pointing outside. You can buy furnace filters for exhaust fan if extremely dusty moldy. Just duct tape the filter in place on the box fan. Close the door to that room seal it with painters tape and plastic. Leave it that way for at least 12 hours. It should have all nasties sucked out by then. Just to be safe I would change out any clothing you wear and decontaminate in shower.
When they repaired my bathroom ceiling they covered the walls be scraping the mold down but left bathroom door wide open. I ended up needing a nebs for my asthma and horrible sinus headache. Bebe was locked in my bedroom door plastic and taped shut for the entire time.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks @rocky'smom for sharing. Hopefully whatever we find won't be too bad. I really the whole unknown of everything at this point. I only have one air purifier. Just recent got a new filter for it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The carpet in the room we rent out will need to be replaced. The room itself is at back right end of the house 1st floor and Echo's room is upstairs right front end of the house. We're trying figure what's the best/safest flooring, that's low voc, doesn't off gas lo, ect. Does anyone know what would be the easiest/safest? Also something relatively inexpensive would be good too.
@JLcribber

Urg! I'm so stressed about this house, it needs so much work done to it. And my father left us with a lot debt when he died so financially we aren't good. :sad1:
Vinyl plank flooring goes down without glue and you can find it reasonably priced.

It doesn't really matter if they use adhesive or not. It's all about ventilation. You put a big fan in the window of that room and you point it "outside" so it acts like an exhaust fan and creates negative pressure in that room. Any smell will go out the window while "drawing" fresh air from the rest of the house. Leave that fan on for as long as needed.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I think my mom has settle on a wool carpet. I don't think carpet is the best option for a rental but she's pretty convinced. The good things are is that its 2 years old so it's been it's been off gassing all that time and there will be no glue or adhesive just staples. Plus it's in sale.

Thankfully our current renter is only here part time so she's ok being away for awhile. We think we can probably get installed on Tuesday. The bad thing is moving all the furniture out. I can help out a little bit but I have a bad back and dealing with a injured shoulder and elbow. Back we're hoping to have a friend help us. So as long there nothing super nasty under the current carpet we should be good with air things out and keeping Echo while away from that room.

@Macawnutz and @JLcribber Is there anything we're missing?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Macawnutz that room is BEAUTIFUL!

You need to post updated photos of your house sometime!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Right now the plan is to replace the carpet on Thursday. Hopefully things will go ok

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Right now the plan is to replace the carpet on Thursday. Hopefully things will go ok
Did the renter like the new carpet? I always thought wool clothes were itchy. Never considered what carpet was made from though.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
She seems fine with replacing it. Its quite similar to what's in there now, much lighter colour thou. I find wool clothing itchy too. Its a wool poly blend. It's sort a short compact sturdy type on carpet.

We have neighbour's kid and his friend to move things out tomorrow. Hopefully it will all go ok. The whole house stresses my out currently. Things are all over the place since my dad died. Lot of stuff we got rid of, but the still more purging, sorting, organizing and cleaning to do. :eek:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Dont forget to put towels at the bottom of the door

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
New carpet is going in tomorrow. The door to the room is taped up covered with a plastic sheet. Two fans in the windows. And the a new replacement filter in Echo's Austin air purifier. Plus there's two other doors we can keep close. I'm still nervous but I'm a complete worry wart but hopefully all will go well. :fingerscrossed:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up!