• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

needing some cockatiel help!

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
so just recently i bought a hand fed whiteface cockatiel. we have been really happy and he would come to me a lot; but recently he has made to discovery of my bedposts/bed rods. when i want tell him to step up he does and then he just flies back to the bed post

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
So he likes perching on them? Maybe just let him hang out there for a bit too? If you want him to hang out somewhere else you can reward him for being in the desired spots with treats, or make the spots you want him to be more inviting with food and toys. Alternatively you can cover the bedposts with a blanket.

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
yes he just perched there and i would love to reward him but 1) he hates spray millet 2) he hates fruits and vegetables. it's like the only thing he will eat is seed so for now i just praise him but my praising isn't doing anything. i don't want this to become permanent

dumpling98

Walking the driveway
Does he like sunflower seed? Does he like toys? I think tiels don't know what they like and they change their mood very often. My second tiel didn't like spray millet and didn't touch it at all for 2 months, but suddenly after seeing my other tiel eating eat, he started eating too and now he loves it.

Maybe you tiel has other likes! You need to pay attention.

If anything else fails, you can study his seed feed. Take some out, and put all seeds in little groups on a table/ hard surface. (ex: sunflower seeds, millet seeds, saflower seeds etc.) and check which seeds your tiel eats first and second. After you see that, you take those particular seeds out of his seed diet and keep them as treats. Your tiel will still eat the second type of seeds and the rest.

Or you can try rewarding and playing with him with his favorite toy! Since your tiel is still new, you still need to discover a lot about him!

I would let him stay on the rods and chill. He is still too new for him to want to spend all his time with you. So he needs his space. You can try target training for your bonding session, and after that you let him chill and do his bird things for the rest of the day.

Ashtyn Mccoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashtyn Mccoy
Does he like sunflower seed? Does he like toys? I think tiels don't know what they like and they change their mood very often. My second tiel didn't like spray millet and didn't touch it at all for 2 months, but suddenly after seeing my other tiel eating eat, he started eating too and now he loves it.

Maybe you tiel has other likes! You need to pay attention.

If anything else fails, you can study his seed feed. Take some out, and put all seeds in little groups on a table/ hard surface. (ex: sunflower seeds, millet seeds, saflower seeds etc.) and check which seeds your tiel eats first and second. After you see that, you take those particular seeds out of his seed diet and keep them as treats. Your tiel will still eat the second type of seeds and the rest.

Or you can try rewarding and playing with him with his favorite toy! Since your tiel is still new, you still need to discover a lot about him!

I would let him stay on the rods and chill. He is still too new for him to want to spend all his time with you. So he needs his space. You can try target training for your bonding session, and after that you let him chill and do his bird things for the rest of the day.
yes i do watch what he eats and i try to introduce him to new things but he's very picky. he hates sunflower seeds and completely ignores them in his food bowl. i don't have another bird so he can't see them eat. i used to have a luring cockatiel and he was always with me and i know not to compare birds because they are all so different but i guess it's alien to me. my bed is also a cube shape made of metal rods so it's like a gigantic perch for him, i just didn't think of what you guys said so thank you!