• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Needing info on Goffins

Yabiwheeler

Moving in
Today a co-worker of mine asked if I could consider taking his Goffin too since he knows I have parrots. I currently have a sun conure and cockatiel but have never worked with a cockatoo. I have been doing research since he asked but I'm torn on if it's the best choice. Can you guys with Goffins tell me some of your personal experiences with them?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Can you visit the Goffin at their home for a bit? That would be a very good idea.
My G2 has been with me about 35 years and was wild caught. So, I think he has some differences from store breeder birds.
But some things will be the same, such as:
He gets up with the sun and stays busy all day.
He likes to invent games, chew wood, shred cardboard, and take things apart.
He is an escape artist and so there are 5 padlocks on his cage. He's out within seconds if any one isn't locked. He chewed 2 window frames and a skylight before we figured that out. He has removed bars of his cage also, so a strong cage is needed.
He has his set times when he likes to "sing the song of his people" but other times he's quiet. Unless of course he is given an excuse to yell, like the FedEx truck, a deer, another of the flock yelling, etc...
Not really food motivated, likes drama rewards and scratches better.
Is independent and not as clingy as some larger cockatoos become. He play, visits, then leaves again to do something else. Not a long attention span unless he is destroying something.
You really do need a good HEPA air filter!

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Can you visit the Goffin at their home for a bit? That would be a very good idea.
My G2 has been with me about 35 years and was wild caught. So, I think he has some differences from store breeder birds.
But some things will be the same, such as:
He gets up with the sun and stays busy all day.
He likes to invent games, chew wood, shred cardboard, and take things apart.
He is an escape artist and so there are 5 padlocks on his cage. He's out within seconds if any one isn't locked. He chewed 2 window frames and a skylight before we figured that out. He has removed bars of his cage also, so a strong cage is needed.
He has his set times when he likes to "sing the song of his people" but other times he's quiet. Unless of course he is given an excuse to yell, like the FedEx truck, a deer, another of the flock yelling, etc...
Not really food motivated, likes drama rewards and scratches better.
Is independent and not as clingy as some larger cockatoos become. He play, visits, then leaves again to do something else. Not a long attention span unless he is destroying something.
You really do need a good HEPA air filter!
You covered everything I was going to say :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I agree with @MommyBird . :) What do you know about this bird's history, age, etc. And importantly, why does he want to rehome his goffin? My goffin is also wild caught. I don't know much about his history other than he's been through multiple homes before mine. Goffins are crazy smart. Almost to the point it's scary. My goffin is busy all the time. ALL THE TIME. He destroys at least a toy a day. (It becomes a pretty big expense.) He too can and has escaped from his cage. He loves to fly and play and will literally fall over from exhaustion before he will willing go to bed. He also isn't food motivated but responds to attention and praise. I have found that keeping him on a schedule has greatly diminished the screaming. He knows when he's going to get out of his cage and when he's not. I would love to be more spontaneous with him but it results in screaming when I'm not home which drives my fiancé crazy. He is pretty independent but I too think that has something to do with him being wild caught. He'll do about 10 minutes of head scratches a day, if I'm lucky. The rest of the time he's too busy. But he is sweet, and funny, and playful and smart. But also destructive and really can't be left unsupervised at all. (I have chunks taken out of door frames and cupboards as a result of lack of supervision- like a couple minutes of lack of supervision). Also, I currently have 2 cockatiels in my house. I don't let them out with my goffin. I don't think he would deliberately hurt them but the size difference scares me. I love my goffin and think he's an incredible bird and certainly don't want to paint goffins in a bad light but just want people to have an understanding of what they're getting into. (And I do think females are a bit more laid back then the males. Is this bird a male or female?)

Yabiwheeler

Moving in
I agree with @MommyBird . :) What do you know about this bird's history, age, etc. And importantly, why does he want to rehome his goffin? My goffin is also wild caught. I don't know much about his history other than he's been through multiple homes before mine. Goffins are crazy smart. Almost to the point it's scary. My goffin is busy all the time. ALL THE TIME. He destroys at least a toy a day. (It becomes a pretty big expense.) He too can and has escaped from his cage. He loves to fly and play and will literally fall over from exhaustion before he will willing go to bed. He also isn't food motivated but responds to attention and praise. I have found that keeping him on a schedule has greatly diminished the screaming. He knows when he's going to get out of his cage and when he's not. I would love to be more spontaneous with him but it results in screaming when I'm not home which drives my fiancé crazy. He is pretty independent but I too think that has something to do with him being wild caught. He'll do about 10 minutes of head scratches a day, if I'm lucky. The rest of the time he's too busy. But he is sweet, and funny, and playful and smart. But also destructive and really can't be left unsupervised at all. (I have chunks taken out of door frames and cupboards as a result of lack of supervision- like a couple minutes of lack of supervision). Also, I currently have 2 cockatiels in my house. I don't let them out with my goffin. I don't think he would deliberately hurt them but the size difference scares me. I love my goffin and think he's an incredible bird and certainly don't want to paint goffins in a bad light but just want people to have an understanding of what they're getting into. (And I do think females are a bit more laid back then the males. Is this bird a male or female?)
He says the bird is a male and about 20 years old. He doesnt know a ton of history so I am assuming he has had a few homes already. He is currently being feed only seeds and fruits. He is also cage territorial but I'm told once he comes out on his own is a sweetheart. At this point it's all I really know.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Taking in a Too has been life-changing for us, and I'll never regret it! They are worth the hard work, and some days, it is HARD.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He says the bird is a male and about 20 years old. He doesnt know a ton of history so I am assuming he has had a few homes already. He is currently being feed only seeds and fruits. He is also cage territorial but I'm told once he comes out on his own is a sweetheart. At this point it's all I really know.
Well, although fruit is better limited, at least he's not eating all seeds. If he's eating fruit, my guess is it should be pretty easy to get him to eat vegetables too. Even if at first you make "chop" mixing fruits and vegetables. I think most birds are cage territorial. I always let my cockatoo come out on his own. And 99.9% of the time he wants to come out, so that's not an issue. He is completely fine with my hands in his cage but he doesn't like other people's hands in in his cage. I think that partially is a trust issue. But cage's with feeder doors eliminate a lot of that problem. The good thing about his age is he's well past puberty. So you wouldn't be dealing with that issue. So 20 is probably about middle age-ish for a goffin. So you're likely looking at least another 20 years with him. I would meet him and see what you think.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Goffin is 25 and USA bred and born.
Pretty close to what Mommybird said about hers, but not quite as independent.
Wants where I am much of the time, and has a repetitive call that lets you know you're ignoring her.
Sweet, a cuddler, not really a biter unless being told to go back to the cage and doesn't want to.
Mine is not too much into wood, but loves to shred and dismantle things.
Holes in clothing are a fact of life with a mine. Holes in furniture (not the wood part) are another trial.
Good eater, not too picky.
Plucks. :( Sadly it's worse as she gets older.
Used to be seasonal, but now her tummy and legs are bare.
It's hard to give a Too what they need. And that's constant companionship of a flock.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Today a co-worker of mine asked if I could consider taking his Goffin too since he knows I have parrots. I currently have a sun conure and cockatiel but have never worked with a cockatoo. I have been doing research since he asked but I'm torn on if it's the best choice. Can you guys with Goffins tell me some of your personal experiences with them?
Taking in this bird is going to be a huge challenge no matter what stories or experiences are given. You have some small bird experience so you won't be flying totally blind but this is a whole new level of bird ownership. (If you have a child you have a pretty good comprehension of the commitment because it's on that level).

So what this really boils down to is are you in a position to do this. Resources. Space. Time. You have found the right place for support and will get lots of help along way should you decide to do this but only you know if you've got the what it takes and what is needed going forward.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Well, although fruit is better limited, at least he's not eating all seeds. If he's eating fruit, my guess is it should be pretty easy to get him to eat vegetables too. Even if at first you make "chop" mixing fruits and vegetables.
WIth a Goffin , if you buy one of the bird kabobs available at many vendors and hang in cage with raw veges on it (corn rounds, carrots, pea pods, peppers, broccoli, etc) he will at least shred it up and quite possibly learn to eat some in the process. They can't resist something that needs to be taken apart.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I had three of them foraging toys or a must to cut expenses on the chewing I would buy macaw toys

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't have anything to add for a G2 other than this fun video I watched a long time ago when I was looking for bird bread recipes. Thought you might enjoy watching this active little helper. He reminds me of my little Ruby ( crimson belly)... but she would have been on that bowl in a heartbeat trying to eat every ingredient.... she's like a little rat on speed trying to get into things... especially food!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think there are cockatoo people and then there is everyone else. You probably won't know if you are a cockatoo person until you have been around them and possibly seen them at their worst. You can probably count on a difficult acceptance period. It might not happen right away, but at some point during the first year, you'll likely have a few months of aggression issues. My goffin's went from fairly sweet and mild tempered to trying to attack my face. If you handle it right, that phase might be brief. Depending on what behaviors the bird learned from its previous owner. If the bird has a long history of being a brat, then it might be harder to overcome. You have a conure, so screaming apparently isn't a turn off for you. Mine did some screaming right after I got him, but it was mostly because his previous owner covered him at night, and he seemed to think he needed to always be covered by a certain time. He's gotten over it...eventually. Cockatoos are not always good with multiple family members. They are prone to choosing a favorite, which may or may not be the person that actually wants the bird. Cockatoos have a special talent for causing upheaval within the human family that causes the bird to be rehomed. Usually its screaming or attacking certain family members. Make sure any other humans you live with are fully on board. I don't think cockatoos are all that difficult, but most other people do. Mine has yet to ever really make me bleed and I've only been bit a few times. He went through that 3 month phase halfway through his first year here, but I must have done something right as he's rarely had aggression issues since. Quite a few goffin's pluck. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do about it. Some people have a hard time looking at a bird that is less than beautiful, so make sure you can handle that. If the bird plucks now, don't count on being able to fix him. Sometimes you can reduce plucking and sometimes not.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't own one, but I interact with them frequently. Many of the descriptions for certain birds perfectly, and I've come across some that are polar opposites of the descriptions. I work part-time in an exotic bird store, and we get them as surrenders. One we've had for months and can't find the right home for him. He's cage aggressive. Very high energy, and very loud. He wants attention but doesn't want to be touched. He came in with a female goffins that was best described as bi-polar. She could be very sweet and affectionate, but other times she was downright evil. You never really knew which personality you were going to be dealing with. She could step up and come out of her night cage without a problem. The second you put her down and turned away, she would jump on you and bite your neck. Other times she would just climb up her rope and scream. Sometimes she could be sweet and not biting at all. We had another female that went home today. She was completely different. She was very sweet, very laid back, and quiet. No biting at all, and she loved to just have her head scratched. Three birds, and three completely different personalities. My suggestion is to spend time with the bird. Maybe you will be able to form a bond and be a good fit. Maybe you won't. It's worth trying to see how it goes. There may be personality quirks that work for you and aren't an issue. It can't hurt to try though.