• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need your good thoughts.. Something wrong with Higgins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Something is wrong with Higgins. I think its the friggen horrible wing trim job they gave him at the pet shop. I've been so careful but i think he fell and hurt his keel bone. Above his vent it looks a really dark colour. Hes still eating and making noise but he's not as active and he's poofed up alot. His vent is always messy. (more so that before - it always has been because his feathers are so long, and I've heard its normal with english budgies.. but the poops looked normal before. These ones dont look too bad but not normal.

He's got a vet app. but they couldn't take him until friday. I am so worried i keep crying.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Emmily, he can't wait till friday! Tell the vet it is an emergency! I hope he is ok.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
They're closed now. Oh, god.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I know how you feel Emily! I am praying that Higgins is Ok!:hug8:
I agree with Judy, keep us posted on how Higgins does please!:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A bird so small really needs to see the vet immediately.:(

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
look up on the internet and see if you can find out when they open in the morning so you can call the vet and tell them that it is a emergency and he needs to be seen ASAP.

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
Em, i had a similar experience with Waddles and we all know how that ended. Call them in the morning and tell them it's an emergency. There's nothing you can do tonight except keep him in a small carrier with a towel and sprinkle some seeds on the bottom.

Let me know how he goes :( poor Higgins <3

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Are you keeping him warm?

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Do you have an emergency hospital near you? If not, I would take him first thing in the AM...our vet always squeezes us in if we tell them it is an emergency...

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Its super warm in my room. I dont have a hospital tank. I have lowered Everything in his cage. I'll call first thing in the morning.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
do you have any other vets around you could call maybe get in sooner?

When it's all done and he's home and better, take a pair of small scissors that is sharp(like brand new hair cutting scissors - I got mine at the dollar store) and Trim the vent feathers We do it with all our English budgies we trim them very short and only the ones around the vent (not the belly or any where else) this way the Poop doesn't get stuck to the feathers and yes that is very common with English budgies which makes it hard to determine if they're ill or not (another reason we keep ours trimmed)

it doesn't hurt them what so ever, Trust me We do it all the time, as long as you don't poke them with the scissors or accidentally get skin (which is hard to do) because your just going to put the scissors over the feathers and trim, and keep trimming down until it's short enough

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I will do that Kelli thank you. There isn't another vet. There are only two vets here that will take birds, and one of them i do not trust at ALL. he'd probably take one look at Higgins and either tell me its nothing to worry about or tell me he needs to be put to sleep.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
As long as it's warm, he should be okay. I hope he's better soon! :hug8:

MollyMouse

:hug8: Sending healing thoughts your way Emily. I hope Higgins is going to be okay.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thanks guys, I dont think they'll take him any earlier. I have to wait for the bird vet to be in.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sending postive thoughts Higgins will be just fine:heart::heart:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I will do that Kelli thank you. There isn't another vet. There are only two vets here that will take birds, and one of them i do not trust at ALL. he'd probably take one look at Higgins and either tell me its nothing to worry about or tell me he needs to be put to sleep.
your welcome, and trimming their vent feathers help a whole lot, Specially with my Ariel who loves hanging upside down , well you can imagine the mess on her when she hangs up side down just about 24/7 and she Poops while hanging upside down as well LOL

I feel your pain on no vets, We have NO avian vets in town only far away, one vet see's birds, I refuse to step foot in that office ever again!

we don't even really have any good cat/dog vets that I've found, I mean they know what they're doing (better than the one who sees birds) BUT They just don't have a very good attitude

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
we dont have a certified av either but this girl i go to is the best around here for birds.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'll be thinking of you two...feel better Higgins!

Status
Not open for further replies.