• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures NEED URGENT ADVICE!!! Newly adopted 6 month old lovebird

C2H4JOY

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, everyone!

I am quite new to this forum and this is my first post :D
To give a short introduction: I have a 1-year-old lovie named Watermelon and a newly adopted 6-month lovie named Papaya.

I recently adopted Papaya about a week ago because I wanted a friend for Watermelon, but I noticed that she is often puffed up and isn't as active as my older lovie. Papaya isn't too fond of hands due to mistreatment from her previous home, but we're slowly working on our bond. Papaya often chirps when she sees me or hears my other lovie, other than that, she isn't that active. They have not fully met yet due to her 30-day quarantine, and I thoroughly wash my hands after handling one bird before another. So I doubt my older lovie has spread any diseases.

This morning I came to change her water, and I noticed that her poop colour and texture suddenly changed. They went from a brownish colour with white urates to green-green colour with green urates. From the time she has been living with me, I have not changed her diet at all. Her droppings have a bit of a smell, whereas my other lovie's droppings are relatively odourless. However, I'm unsure if their varying diets play a role in that. I feed my 1yr old a mixture of seeds, fresh vegetables and fruits, and I've been incorporating pellets recently in his diet as well. My 6month has only had the "Harrison's Bird Food High Potency Super Fine" pellets, along with other treats, from my knowledge.

I want to take her to the vet for a check-up but my father keeps dismissing my concerns. I cannot drive myself to the vet, but I am deeply concerned for her health. I will be attaching photos of her and her droppings below. Am I being too paranoid, or are my worries valid? Could this behaviour be due to stress from a new environment? Someone, please quickly respond with advice and thoughts on this situation :(

tempImageuol76k.png tempImagedD2caP.png tempImagebztft0.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If she's truly eating just pellets it's odd that she's got green poop. The fact that it is smelly makes me concerned.

If it's only one or two poops that are "off" without an explanation, or only the first morning poop that stinks, I wouldn't be worried. But "consistently inconsistent" as I saw stated on the forum earlier, where it's off for 24 to 48 hours, especially with an odor, would have me at the vet to investigate a possible bacterial infection or other cause.

49428990_1184479985035863_4735612601059246080_o.jpg 57328196_1262106260606568_8577636412709404672_n.jpg

C2H4JOY

If she's truly eating just pellets it's odd that she's got green poop. The fact that it is smelly makes me concerned.

If it's only one or two poops that are "off" without an explanation, or only the first morning poop that stinks, I wouldn't be worried. But "consistently inconsistent" as I saw stated on the forum earlier, where it's off for 24 to 48 hours, especially with an odor, would have me at the vet to investigate a possible bacterial infection or other cause.

View attachment 384559 View attachment 384560
Thank you so much for replying!!! Hopefully, this will suffice to convince my dad to take her to the vet with me. I truly appreciate your quick reply.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Good luck talking with your dad. Try not to panic, remain calm. As a side note, a vet check up while the new bird is in quarantine is always recommended to be sure they are illness/disease free before introducing the birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, if he pushes back just let him know that he could have diseases/illnesses that could spread to your other bird, and then you'll have to treat two birds instead of one ;)

C2H4JOY

Welcome to the Avenue :)

Good luck talking with your dad. Try not to panic, remain calm. As a side note, a vet check up while the new bird is in quarantine is always recommended to be sure they are illness/disease free before introducing the birds.
Thank you for the reassurance!! I tried telling him that we needed to take her to the vet when we took her in but he dismissed me then as well. :sad11:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try to put down some clean white paper for her to poo on. That will allow you to see the droppings more clearly.

As the others have said, if the droppings are like this for more than 24 hours, I would get her checked out. Green faeces and urates can indicate a serious illness and it's vital that you know what you're dealing with, especially as you have another bird.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Welcome to the avenue!
By now I hope you already went to the vet. But if you didn’t, you could call your vet. If they say you need to come in, maybe that convinces your dad.
Show the vet the pictures of the droppings as well. My vet was so happy when I showed him my pictures of poop. It tells them a lot!