• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEED TO RESCUE !

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
Hope everyone is feeling well,I live in S. CALI,I rescue from owners myself.I have been asked to take 50 finches.I can handle the birds,my concern is of course New Castle I have 12 birds of my own.u know my concern.What is ur suggestions? I need to save these finches if at all possible,but defiantly not at the cost of my birds health.HELP!

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Hi Christine, I'm not sure I understood. Is New Castle a place? Regarding the rescue, is there any way you could reach out to other rescues in your area? I think 50 finches for one person/household, especially if you have birds of your own, would be too much to handle, for everyone's sakes. At any rate, I do hope they find a new forever home soon!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's very good of you to want to help these birds. Do you have a separate space to quarantine? I'm not sure how the disease is tested for. Can you call and vet and ask perhaps?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Were they kept inside or in an outdoor aviary. The risk is much lower if they were inside and never had contact with poultry. Regardless though, you should quarantine. As in use gloves and shoe covers and an outer layer of clothes you can take off before going in yo your flock. Newcastle is nothing to mess around with and if you have any doubts, better safe than sorry.

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
I know an no Perches it's a disease,u need to look it up,Bad news, cali is losing birds fast! I am afraid off it,its worse than Parvovirus in dogs. I guess I'm trying to ease my mind,or have enough people tell me NO DONT RISK UR BIRDS.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I know an no Perches it's a disease,u need to look it up,Bad news, cali is losing birds fast! I am afraid off it,its worse than Parvovirus in dogs. I guess I'm trying to ease my mind,or have enough people tell me NO DONT RISK UR BIRDS.
No. Don't risk your birds.
If it were me in your shoes, I would put a complete stop to bringing in or even interacting with other birds outside my own flock until this newcastle outbreak has run its horrible coarse.

I get it, Christine. The compulsion to rescue, rescue, rescue is a strong one. There will always be birds in need, there will always be another situation to pull at your heartstrings. But you can't do it all.

There have been many needy birds pass through my home. I have overextended and consequently overwhelmed myself before and have learned the hard way that I need to give myself a cap. My limit now is one foster at a time. Otherwise I could easily end up doing more harm than good, and so could you.

It hurts to say no and feels like it goes against everything we as rescuers want to do - feel in out hearts we need to do. But sitting on our hands is sometimes the best we can do. The birds you have now must come first.

Newcastle is nothing to sneeze at and 50 finches is a massive responsibility and commitment. The odds are stacked against this one.

Walk away.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel you; it's a struggle when you have the chance to save lives, but doing so poses a danger to your flock.

A few months ago, I was asked if I could take in a beautiful greenwing macaw with PBFD, and although it made my heart ache to pass her over, I absolutely could not risk bringing her into my home. Quarantine would have been an option, but it was not a chance I was able to take in good conscience.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What an awful situation for you to be in but I think you are right to be concerned and hesitant. The health and safety of your current flock is your first responsibility and if you can help others without harming or risking harm to them then great help away but this situation will be a massive gamble for your current birds. I do not think you should take this gamble with your current flock. The others have said it all much better than I am able to but I think you can tell we all think you are awesome for wanting to help and we are all backing you up for passing on this one with good reason to do so.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
Thank god for birdies,my word for us that are really into raising birds. Y'all have convinced me.In my gut it was a no,but I just hate knowing there out there in a not so good situation an I could save them.I spent the day w my birds really thinking if I had to watch my babies suffer an die,wooo that would scare me forever.So now I have to make that difficult phone call. I know if turning my back on them I can come here and y'all fully understand.Thank u so much for caring about us,the advice I get here helps me sleep.Plus I know Feather would come after me if I did this lol Thx Feather for always reading my post an giving me great advice and ideas!

Cberry77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christine Berry
U know now I see it more clearly,thanks so much, I just hate to leave them.Although if I had brought them home an one of my babies got sick,I would never forgive myself plus all of mine will get it if even one comes down sick,it's so contagious! Beware S. California bird owner,its in every county,just not active.