• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need to rehome B&G

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Pittsburgh is gorgeous and would love to spend a 5 month vacation there!

My team is trying to find a facility that will accept my case. Apparently because of the PH and the HP... bahahahaha... never noticed that! One is pulmonary hypertension which I inherited and the other is the hypersensitivity pneumonitis that simply will not resolve, no matter what the Drs and we try. I need both a heart and lung and having gotten so bad so fast, not many transplant facilities will accept me. We have one here in Omaha Ne and they do a great job with many kinds of transplants, and it would be wonderful if I could stay here and have that happen, however, it is believed that I am too high risk and my best bet is AZ where they tend to take high risk heart and lung patients. The problem with being so far away, is finding caregivers that can travel there to be with me. I just don't know that many bored people!! And I can't fly, and traveling is difficult with such high oxygen and problems with edema. I am on 10 lnc at rest so we will see what happens. And maybe I am not supposed to have a transplant. I just don't get to see the future.

We have met a wonderful couple who are interested in both our birds and they are returning to meet them for the second time this Sunday. So we are hopeful. Yes, tearful and angry that we have to give them up, but hopeful that this couple will do a wonderful job. Both our parrots have made wonderful leaps and bounds in bettering their behaviors and developing confidence. They have brought us much joy and laughter, and sometimes frustrations and tears. And many of you helped us through all of our times of hormones and bad behaviors when we were at our wits ends. We are grateful.

Its hard to imagine our lives without our fids. But it simply needs to be. Never imagined wanting pooping birds in the house. Now I am not sure how we ever thought our lives were fulfilled without them. I do hope we are making the right decision.

There is much to keep my mind occupied these days, with all that is going on in our politics and country.

Thank ALL of your for your kindness.

sherri.
I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that once you get them rehomed that some hospital can help you get a transplant. If it turns out to be Pittsburgh, there are great transplant surgeons over there.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No pity, but I wish you strength and courage and the very best of medical care. I hope your birds find someone who will love them just as much as you do.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I hope everything works out! You should tell them about AA so you can still check on your birds from time to time. Hopefully, they keep in touch with you.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
So after being gone for a month, no improvement in my lungs and my heart is also taking its toll. We did find a most wonderful home for Baloo, but now comes the time for us to rehome our precious Koko, a 30 yo female B&G who is so gentle, sweet, and rarely every does anything wrong. And Rio, our 2 1/2 yo male Goffins who is so entertaining, 50% sweet and 50% ornery!

We had meant to have our parrots for our lifetime, we just never imagined mine would be here so fast. Appears I now need a heart and lung transplant and because of the complexity, only a few facilities will even look at me. We have tried everything we could to keep them, but no facility would consider transplanting me if we had any birds anywhere in our home, no matter how separated they are from me. And we have not fully decided if we actually want a transplant. We are using this time to find the right fits for our fids. so if you know of anyone close to us, or maybe not so close but willing to travel... as I cannot due to being too ill.

No pity allowed, just trying to find wonderful homes for wonderful birds. We really lucked out when we bought these two. We were rather ignorant, studied hard, and these two parrots evolved into wonderful pets that have provided our home with entertainment, love, and in the beginning, a lot of frustrations as we tried to reach, reassure, and teach these two about trust and love.

sherri
[/QUOTE I met Sherri and Larry well over a year ago when I saw she had a bourke to re-home. They are the most genuine and caring people I have ever met. We drove 2 hours to their house to get Sky, the bourke and starting talking about each others parrots. They asked us all about our amazons and I asked about Koko and Rio. They started coming down to our house or we would go to theirs and talk no-stop about our birds. You could tell how much they loved them, making toys, reading everything they could find on macaws and cockatoos and asking questions on this forum. Sherri's health suddenly got to the point where a transplant was her only option. They knew the bird's would have to be re-homed and it broke their hearts. If someone was interested in Rio or Koko they had them come spend a day with them, they wanted the best for them. The first time I saw Koko I was amazed at how gentle she was, the first time she stepped up for me I was more than a little nervous, pretty soon everytime we would go down she'd see me and put her foot up. I was smittened with her but never pictured me having a macaw, until the last time we were there. She would start to get off me then climb right back on. In the car my husband said I should get her but I needed more time to think about adding a member to my flock. We talked and talked about it, when I told Sherri I wanted to adopt her she thought I was doing it to help her and not because I wanted Koko. The truth is I wanted Koko, she's been with us 3 weeks now and is doing great. The day we bought Koko home Sherri ended up in ER with respiratory distress. She's still undergoing test after test to see if and when she will get put on the transplant list. Please keep her in your thoughts..

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I know it meant the world to Sherri for you to take Koko under your care. God's blessings for you and especially for Sherri as she battles her illness.

lilparrots4me

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Have they all found a home?

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
How is Sherri doing? Any updates?

Sending healing thoughts!
Sherri was put on the transplant list but taken off when they found problems with her liver. They are still trying to find a doctor who is comfortable doing a liver biopsy because she is high risk.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sherri was put on the transplant list but taken off when they found problems with her liver. They are still trying to find a doctor who is comfortable doing a liver biopsy because she is high risk.
I'll add her to my prayers.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:o: Disappointing indeed! I'm sorry, continuing to send healing thoughts from here.