• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need tips - perch mounting

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Good afternoon everyone!

I've recently been trying to find a good set up in my birds' cage. I find myself moving the perches around, seeing which they prefer, what overlaps and is in the "drop zone" etc.

Something I have found challenging is trying to hold the perch in place while I secure the screw fixture on the outside.

The cage is somewhat large and my arms simply aren't long enough to reach through the door all the time to hold the perch in place. I do use the small bowl doors when i can, but it's not always within reach.

I've had some success putting the dowel rods the cage came with up temporarily to hold the perch in place, but doesn't always work.

I fear i may give my birds a heart attack if another perch falls and clangs on the cage bottom. I feel terrible when that happens.

How do you guys hold perches on place when mounting in a difficult area? Or also removing them for cleaning without letting them drop?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zip ties sometimes, but usually I just make my husband hold them while I do my thingy lol

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I hang something from the ceiling of the cage and lay the perch on it until I can get it situated.

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Thanks for the suggestions! I have some twine and binder clips, maybe some clothes pins. I'll have to rig up some sort of cradle net thing.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I agree with Mizzely a second person is most helpful. But if a second person is not an option, I take a broad, long perch and use it as an extension of my arm to prop up and position the perch I'm trying to secure.

LovieLouie

I’ve often wondered how someone who is alone with a large cage does these things because I’m a disaster and my cage isn’t even that big lol...i really need someone else’s help. but I do like some of these suggestions... I probably would still need another person to help me though :roflmao:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
1usually I just make my husband hold them while I do my thingy lol
Yup! For the goffins girls' cages I can just recruit hubby's arm, but I have to wait 'til @Xulta visits to rearrange the macaw boys' cage. We take out the trays and she just climbs right in! :roflmao: Not very practical at all.

If anyone comes up with a great solution, please post pics and/or diagrams here! Or if you invent a tool, become an AA vendor so I can buy it.
:merlieshops: