• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

need suggestions for a few bird supplies

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! It's going to be almost a week since I have travelled and I miss my bird terribly. I am having an amazing time here with my family though and they too have two cockatiels, one which my cousin got just today so I'm definitely not "bird deprived." LOL.
My husband sends me pictures and videos of Coco every day and updates me about how she's doing which is satisfying so I feel okay. Can't wait to get back to her to be honest.
As I am now in a different country, there's a lot of places where I can get bird related things from. Compared to where I live, they have more variety here. I have already bought like fifteen different toys for Coco along with a few perches and next in my list is a harness, a travel bag and a bird warmer.
Can someone please guide me about which ones I should order from Amazon because that's where I'm planning to get the above mentioned things from. I am trying to find something that doesn't cost a lot and is still good enough for my bird. Apparently, the aviator harness is the best one out there but I do see a lot of other, cheaper options. Can I get any of those? Is there something I should look out for specifically when getting a harness for my bird? I also plan to get the K&H bird warmer but I would love to know if there is another option out there that costs less and works just as well. I also see random transparent pet carriers which have some pretty good reviews but I'm not sure which one to get from all the options which seem of equal good quality. This is where all my research ends, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also see random transparent pet carriers which have some pretty good reviews but I'm not sure which one to get from all the options which seem of equal good quality
I personally prefer a small cage for a travel carrier, or a bag. I´m just not a fan of the acrylic clear ones. (If I´m thinking of the right thing you are describing).

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I personally prefer a small cage for a travel carrier, or a bag. I´m just not a fan of the acrylic clear ones. (If I´m thinking of the right thing you are describing).
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. Now that I think of it, a small cage is definitely a better option rather than a "bag" since I will have to train my bird for it first. If it's a cage, my bird will already be used to its structure and it will not be a complete new thing that I have to make her familiar with. I think I'm going to cut travel bag from my list and just get a small cage that is easy to carry.

Any suggestions for a harness and a bird warmer?

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
I believe I'm going to get the K&H bird warmer as that is the only one I feel would be worth it and of course the safest for birds as it is literally made for them. I am not going to risk getting any other one that I'm unsure of.
Leaves me with the last item that is a harness, could someone suggest a good one?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe I'm going to get the K&H bird warmer as that is the only one I feel would be worth it and of course the safest for birds as it is literally made for them. I am not going to risk getting any other one that I'm unsure of.
Leaves me with the last item that is a harness, could someone suggest a good one?
The Aviator bird harness is well-known and beloved by many. My macaw had one and did very well with it.

However, with small birds like Coco, I would suggest against bringing him outdoors in a harness. Little birds are an easy target for predators, and we've had a member here whose bird was taken by a hawk straight off their shoulder. When going outside with little fids, small cages and carriers are a better option. My cockatiel has an A&E Voyager carrier and has never had any issues getting used to it. There are also bird backpacks by Celltei like the Pak-o-Bird which, while pricey, are very high quality.

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
The Aviator bird harness is well-known and beloved by many. My macaw had one and did very well with it.

However, with small birds like Coco, I would suggest against bringing him outdoors in a harness. Little birds are an easy target for predators, and we've had a member here whose bird was taken by a hawk straight off their shoulder. When going outside with little fids, small cages and carriers are a better option. My cockatiel has an A&E Voyager carrier and has never had any issues getting used to it. There are also bird backpacks by Celltei like the Pak-o-Bird which, while pricey, are very high quality.
Thank you!!! I will look into the carriers that you’ve mentioned.