• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some weening advice please !!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeesKnees

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lindsey Champine

Sozzie has started the process of weening, I am almost positive, but since this is my first baby macaw, I'd like to know if this is normal.

He is starting to refuse feedings? This morning he only took 50cc (normally a feeding for him is 110 cc). Why would he do this? He hadn't eaten since late last night? He is certainly starting to take to other foods too....

So, is all of this normal? Do I back off on how much I am giving him per feeding? Do I do smaller feedings more frequently? What does a mom do???
:confused:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He's probably trying to lighten up to take his first flight. Let him dictate what he does and doesn't want as far as formula is concerned and make sure that he always has a variety of fresh food and pellets to choose if he wants to.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He's still pretty young if I remember right. Not even all his feathers in yet, right?

I doubt he's weaning this early. How old is he now? Is he on fresh foods at all yet?

Have you ever hand raised a Macaw before, and do you have a mentor or close avian vet to go to with questions?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Generally when mine do this I continue with the same number of feeds but only give them as much as they want. Its normal for them to loose some weight. If you chase him around trying to make him eat, you'll really slow down his progress and likely cause some problems. It can be kind of alarming at times. Especially if they go through a phase where they don't want formula, but they aren't eating much adult food and all they want to do is flap and fly and destroy stuff. You just have to have faith that its a phase. You will eventually notice a lot of crushed pellets and mushed up soft foods and evidence that he's really eating. If he really cuts back on formula, drops a bunch of weight and doesn't start eating, sometime you can adjust the timing of the other feedings so the next one comes earlier. I have noticed a lot of times at this stage, they'll guzzle a little bit of formula and then go right to their adult food when you put them back in their cage. Or if they aren't interested in formula, give his a couple hours with some warm or fresh soft foods and then try the formula again. If he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it. His body will tell him what he needs.
Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.