• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some...not so bad vibes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am not saying this to be mean or harsh because there are some people who are good owners and genuinely need the help of rescue. But, I have to be honest, I don't play games with people at all anymore. The deal is, if you want me to take over the responsibility of caring for an animal and finding it a home, not to mention financial responsibility, then I am doing THEM a favor and I am not about to jump through hoops for them. I love animals deeply and I will do what I can to protect and take care of them but I won't play games with people who may or may not want to relinquish animals. This comes from 20+ years in rescue. I just don't have the patience for it. I am not rude or mean to people but if they aren't sure, or want to start making unreasonable demands then I will just say "fine, forget it" at which point they usually realize that if they want my help they need to be reasonable because there are plenty of animals out there that need help and I (or any reputable rescue person) doesn't need to waste our valuable time. I know I don't need to tell you this and you know what you're doing, but don't feel guilty if you can't take this bird under her terms and keep in mind that you are doing HER the favor.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Document everything, take pictures of the condition the bird is in before you do any type of grooming of the nails etc. If you can get pictures of the cage it is living in do that too. Ask to take the cage even if you have no plans to use it save it for proof. Document, document, document

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yea I know. Its just...ugh...I dont know how to say it. Im worried for the bird to stay. And worried to just be boarding. Its like a total catch 22. My boarding isnt in place for this type of situation. Its more for the people that have to move, or college and would rather not rehome, but are unable to house it for a short period ya know?

Yes, it makes sense. And, I am sure that you would only accept boarding clients that are good owners and have certain standards for the care of their birds.

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
It really is as simple as that, if you have possession of the bird, you have documented the condition it is in when you receive it and you don't sign any agreements when you take the bird.

Another operating rule is to always let the other person start any legal actions. If the bird is in your possession without any written agreements to the contrary, the bird was given to you.

Last action is to offer to call the police (if the bird really is in bad shape) and tell the past owners that you intend to file animal abuse/neglect charges against them. Been there, done there and it works.
ML
So are you saying I shouldnt take contracts with me?

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
I am not saying this to be mean or harsh because there are some people who are good owners and genuinely need the help of rescue. But, I have to be honest, I don't play games with people at all anymore. The deal is, if you want me to take over the responsibility of caring for an animal and finding it a home, not to mention financial responsibility, then I am doing THEM a favor and I am not about to jump through hoops for them. I love animals deeply and I will do what I can to protect and take care of them but I won't play games with people who may or may not want to relinquish animals. This comes from 20+ years in rescue. I just don't have the patience for it. I am not rude or mean to people but if they aren't sure, or want to start making unreasonable demands then I will just say "fine, forget it" at which point they usually realize that if they want my help they need to be reasonable because there are plenty of animals out there that need help and I (or any reputable rescue person) doesn't need to waste our valuable time. I know I don't need to tell you this and you know what you're doing, but don't feel guilty if you can't take this bird under her terms and keep in mind that you are doing HER the favor.
I know you arent being harsh, this is a sucky spot to be in. I wont know what to do fully until I am at her home tomorrow.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Document everything, take pictures of the condition the bird is in before you do any type of grooming of the nails etc. If you can get pictures of the cage it is living in do that too. Ask to take the cage even if you have no plans to use it save it for proof. Document, document, document
Always have my handy dandy camera with me :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I know you arent being harsh, this is a sucky spot to be in. I wont know what to do fully until I am at her home tomorrow.

It is sucky:( Hopefully, once you are there everything will fall into place or at least make you feel more comfortable about stuff.

Years ago I took in a dog whose owner was homeless but was going to a shelter and desperately wanted to keep her dog. I took care of him for three months and she would come to visit him and everything. After three months she got a place and was back on her feet and she came for him. A year later she was homeless and they were both living in her car and she asked if I could help. I said I could but that she would have to let me take him for good. He was 15 years old at that time. She agreed and I neutered him, did his teeth etc. I placed him (with someone who wanted to adopt him the first time he came through) and he lived to be 21 years old! With this bird, maybe she really is in a bad way or maybe it is time for her to let him go. I think you'll know tomorrow when you see him:o:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
It is sucky:( Hopefully, once you are there everything will fall into place or at least make you feel more comfortable about stuff.

Years ago I took in a dog whose owner was homeless but was going to a shelter and desperately wanted to keep her dog. I took care of him for three months and she would come to visit him and everything. After three months she got a place and was back on her feet and she came for him. A year later she was homeless and they were both living in her car and she asked if I could help. I said I could but that she would have to let me take him for good. He was 15 years old at that time. She agreed and I neutered him, did his teeth etc. I placed him (with someone who wanted to adopt him the first time he came through) and he lived to be 21 years old! With this bird, maybe she really is in a bad way or maybe it is time for her to let him go. I think you'll know tomorrow when you see him:o:

See THAT is what my boarding is for.

Yea I know Im just stressing about the *unknown* right now. Im not a good one to *wait* I like to know and have things settled ASAP lol.

Like I said, Im taking all my forms, boarding and surrender. With hopes I can tell her its better for the bird if she surrenders.

Thanks everyone for their advice and such. I will be tossing and turning in bed tonight. :p

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Good luck with whatever you do! Keep us posted tomorrow with updates.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I don't understand something. Why is it that if you take the bird and when they try to get it back they could demand money or get the police after you~ and if someone has their bird stolen, there is nothing you can do to get your bird back legally unless it's chipped?
Btw, sending good vibes that all works out for the benefit of the bird.:hug8:

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I look forward to updates. I'm with Vicki though. If they won't sign it over, I won't touch it. No matter what shape the animal is in. They either want what's best for the animal, or they want a free ticket and someone else to spend the money and the time to fix it up so they don't have to, and when he's all prettied up and behaving well, they'll remember how much they love him and just have to have him back. Not worth it for me, and ultimately, added stress on the bird.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I read this after reading the other thread...so glad you have that poor baby...I would not have been able to walk away...

Status
Not open for further replies.