• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some ideas of flight gear....

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

Ok, so I am working with Lola and as of (hopefully) springtime she will gain her flight! I am wondering what style of flight suit I should use for her. Does anyone have pictures of their Macaws in their flight gear? Also, I am wondering which is durable against that beak. I understand getting it on her in general will be fun since she is almost 2 and never has worn one before. But I want a durable one if she chews may hold up a tad better.
Any Ideas?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I recommend the AVIATOR instead :) My scarlet wore an XLarge.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I recommend the AVIATOR instead :) My scarlet wore an XLarge.

HMM...Ok. How large was your scarlet? In comparrison to a BGM? Grams? Height..LOL. Sorry just wondering what size I should purchase

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
Ok, so I am working with Lola and as of (hopefully) springtime she will gain her flight! I am wondering what style of flight suit I should use for her. Does anyone have pictures of their Macaws in their flight gear? Also, I am wondering which is durable against that beak. I understand getting it on her in general will be fun since she is almost 2 and never has worn one before. But I want a durable one if she chews may hold up a tad better.
Any Ideas?

Good Question!! I have been wondering the same thing for my Stitch. You just saved me a post!:lol:

cmoore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cmoore
I use the Aviator with my two caiques, and it's been very durable! I also know of several people who use them with large macaws (B&G and scarlet). I can't help with sizing, but wanted to chime in with my vote for the Aviator. It is a great harness!

I believe there's sizing info (by bird weight) on the Aviator's website. The folks who sell it are great at answering sizing questions, too.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
My vote also goes to the Aviator. I have one for Chewy, my U2.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Everyone I spoke with, including my vet, recommend the Aviator. The company web site is good and they're great about emailing back and forth if you have questions!

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Ray has a flight suit, actually all three of my birds do. He can't get out of it, it's durable, easier to get on him than a harness (that was a disaster) and he really looks stylin in it - but he doesn't really LIKE to have any of those things put on or taken off, once it's on, he forgets about it completely. Plus, the diaper thing is awesome.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Any Ideas?
My rehomed (age 4 1/2 and 5 th home) biting macaw learned to wear a flight suit AND a harness at age 7. She did well with the flight suit. The harness she wore was the Kaylor collar which was out before the aviator harness. We did a few trials with the aviator before they went out in packaging and general sale. Because I had a variety of sizes of birds I gave it a bit of a try. For small birds it was good as I like the lightweight material. My tooz must be watched intently as they can easily chew the leash at the metal crimp.

The Kaylor collar is the one most of mine prefer. Putting it over and taking off over the head is an easier task than with the aviator. Mine play with the slide more on the aviator more and I am not sure if it is because of the positioning.

what works best......what ever you can easily get on your bird and your bird is comfortable in.

Peggy

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I am really liking these flight suits. My U2 is doing great with hers but I tried the AVIATOR on my Ekkie and about got my hand chewed. Off I couldn't figure out how to get it on right and she was fighting my and getting tangled it it. UGH it was a horrible experience. The flight suit was pretty easy for my and Marie didn't freak out to much. She only chewed on it a couple times and it didn't harm it at all.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Thanks everyone for all of the input. She is now FLYING so woohoo..come on spring time!!!!! I am ready to do this. I cannot wait til she is able to fly outside ...I know it will take time for her to get used to being in such an open space...BUT WOW. I want her to be able to get some of that Blue and Gold energy OUT each day. I am excited for HER!

Status
Not open for further replies.