• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some help from African Grey owners

afcon

Moving in
Hello, after wanting a Congo Grey for 30 years I've finally decided to get one. Perfect timing right? Prices are ridiculous compared to a few years ago.... I put a deposit down on an egg/baby back in April and now my future baby is 6 weeks old and looks healthy in the videos I've seen. I'm aware of Bird dust but I came across two videos recently that have me concerned. Can anyone confirm or deny if African Greys are as dusty as these two videos make it seem? Your help would be appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not sure what’s in the videos but Greys are very dusty birds, one of the dustiest there are.

You’ll want to invest in a really good bird safe air purifier (maybe more than one) and also make sure you can vacuum daily, wet wiping surfaces over as often as possible will also help as well as regular bathing of the bird.
For your own respiratory health you certainly want to make sure you have measures in place to remove as much excess dust as possible.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes they are. I have a CAG & a U2. The CAG puts off more dust than the U2 does. Power dust form parrots is sort of like talc powder. You will need to invest in a top of the line true HEPA air purifier. One that has 3 or more filter stages. Ours is an older model Hunter brand. It has a metal mesh filter with a foam sheet inside that is washable. The other filter is 3 stage. We vacuum that filter off to make it last longer. There are many brands of air purifiers that will work & be safe, but never use the ionizer/ozone option, as it's not safe for parrots. You should get one of good size, as it will do better at cleaning the air.

I also have asthma, COPD & I have a lot of allergies to pollen's, etc., but the bird dust doesn't really bother me since we have the air purifiers running 24/7. I have one setting by the CAG's cage & the other by the U2 cage. Our birds get showers in the tub on a stand perch. I give them a good rinsing & you can see the dust flow off them.

If you don't think you can handle the dust then you should rethink getting a CAG.