• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need Some Help (Baby Conure Not Taking Handfeedings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevele

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello there,

I have about 5 years experience with hand feeding parrots,

I do not have any parrots of my own but recently I purchased a red sided conure.

It was listed as a sun conure x green cheek hybrid but I doubt it, anyways...

This baby conure was sold to these young girls unweaned, they posted it online and I seen it was being handfed. I offered to purchase him/her but when they delivered it to my house they looked very unexperienced with birds and said they had no time for it. I gave them the money and they left, he was not moving a lot but I thought it was from the long drive but boy was I wrong. The first day his he had a good feeding response, now about 3 days later I have to force feed him with a tubed syringe just so he gets full. His crop does empty every 3 hours then I feed him again.

I don't see him gaining much strength, I don't know if he has a crop infection or what. I'm currently jobless and don't have enough money to take him to the vet right now. He's not wheezing when he's breathing and he's still pooping well but he is very weak but still tries to jump and move around. Does anyone have any suggestions please! I'm also trying to contact a local breeder I know, if she can help me out I will even give her the conure free I just want him to get better. I usually have $500 to $600 put away every month.. of all the times I don't have money now... :(

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Is there an avian vet near that would allow you to run a balance so you can get the birdie seen? He obviously needs to see a vet; there is something very wrong. Could it be he was starved from the girls not knowing how to feed him? I hope you report the breeder to the local authorities, selling unweaned birds.

Good luck on getting your little bird healthy. I am sending positive energy and warm fuzzies.

Some places have charity help funds as well.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, he needs to be seen by a vet. He may have a crop infection that causing him to not feel hungry. Are you weighing every morning? Do you have him in a brooder for warmth? Handfeeding formula at 105-108F? Do you know how old he is? Can you post a picture? He may be dehydrated and just not have strength to feed. I hope your breeder friend gets back in touch with you and is able to take him.

Nevele

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you both for the information,

Unfortunately the little guy passed away last night before I was able to take him to the vet. I was in tears and am now heart broken, I hope the breeder who sold this baby unweaned to those girls gets in trouble. I still have the leg band number so hopefully something can be done. May my little conure rest in peace, this could have been prevented.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I'm so sorry for your loss :hug8:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Sorry for your loss, atleast you tried to save the little guy :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:( I am so very sorry. RIP little one.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you did the best you could..so very sorry for your loss

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my, so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for trying to help this little one. Shame on the breeder.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Matt

Status