• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Some Body Language Basics- First Time Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkuris

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kayla Kuris
I'm in the process of trying to get a green cheek conure (See Here)
After looking on Craigslist one little guy really caught my eye
However, the current owners want someone who knows how to read bird body language. I have never had a bird, but I have done endless amount of research for several months now, have saved up $800 and have a list of supplies and a cage already.

So, in hoping I can sway them, can you give me some basic tips on body language? What specific signs will tell you when he/she does not want to be touched or given attention to?

Thanks in advance

Peanuts

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hana
Well, If he opens his beak and looks at you, you'd better back off. xD Also, my conure makes a distinct sort of quacking noise when he doesn't like something, that's sort of a warning before he bites. I'd think he isn't a special case, but the way your bird warns you might be different than mine. ouo

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
When my GCC is uncomfortable or upset, he crouches down and squeaks. When he wants me, he bobs his head up and down while leaning in my direction. If he is tired or relaxed, he fluffs up and holds one foot up in his feathers. When something is scaring him, he does an alarm call and dives into the nearest hiding place.
All birds are different...this is just what mine does. It takes time to start reading their body language and, after a while of owning a bird, it comes naturally. I was never taught how to read my birds body languages. I researched amazon habits and signs before I got Tico, but he ended up using very different warnings than I had expected. Now, because I have bonded with him and know him, it is very easy for me to tell what state of mind he is in.
I think it will take time for you to learn any birds body language. Because they are all different and all express their feelings in different ways. But if you can learn the basics, you'll have an idea of what to expect.

Willison

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
William
I've only had my GCC for about 5 days now, but I'm beginning to understand his body language. If he leans his head downwards, near his perch, he's content/relaxed (this usually happens during scritches). He also makes a little pig noise whenever he wants some attention, like a "Look at me! I'm running all over the room!"
He also makes a bunch of quiet, little squeaks when he gets upset that I'm keeping him awake past his bedtime (his cage is in the TV room).
This website has some general bird body language guidelines: http://www.avianweb.com/communicatewithyourbirds.html

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
If the feathers on the back of the neck stand out, but the top of the head is flattened and they are standing very tall, they are FURIOUS.
Eyes "pinning" - pupil is tiny, large, tiny, large... fairly nervous. Stop doing what you're doing because they could bite if you lean into them and don't see this going on. |

bobbing is always fun. They either want you or something you have.
Bobbing with EYE PINNING... wants to eat your face

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
I'd strongly recommend buying Barbara Heidenreich's DVD, Understanding Parrot Body Language (you have to scroll down; it's at the bottom of the page). Having those visual instructions are much more valuable than trying to translate a written description into the real thing. Like they say, "a picture is worth 1000 words." A video must be worth millions, then!

Status
Not open for further replies.