• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would think it's pretty normal for them to fuss and pick at a scab. I know if I have a scab on my arm it doesn't stand a chance with my parrot. If it were me I would observe her for a few more days. She may let it continue to heal and begin using it again. Keep an eye on her that she doesn't begin to mutilate, like she did before. If she does, you'll have no choice but to get her the vet immediately. I hope she settles down and lets this heal.

Edit : Also, how long does this process of healing of an amputated leg lasts, in general?
I don't know. I hope someone else may have an idea.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hi, I looked at John's site and he has some amazing stuff and I am really torn on what to buy from him. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi, I looked at John's site and he has some amazing stuff and I am really torn on what to buy from him. Any suggestions?
You could speak with @JLcribber , explain your needs and ask what he recommends ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes, I will do that, thanks for answering :)
:) How big is your credit card? :D You obviously must have at least one of everything. :hug8:

Only you would know what your bird likes or needs. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have noticed on Monday that she removed a little bit of the scab and then the next days she seemed not to pay attention to her leg. I was out for a walk this evening and when I came back home, it seems that she removed the entire scab. She doesn't want to use her leg at all. I don't know if it bothers her because it is sore or hurting. I do not know what to do. Observe her for a few more days and see if anything improves/worsens? I do not know what the vet could do for her except putting the collar again. I don't think that a bandage could solve anything since she will just remove it somehow and I clearly do not want to see her with a collar since it clearly bothered and irritated the skin around the neck.
I am just so tired. Everything seemed to be going just fine and now there is a setback.

Edit : Also, how long does this process of healing of an amputated leg lasts, in general?
This all pretty normal in the process of things. Whenever there is surgery on anyone, the third or fourth day after is probably the worst because of swelling and just general trauma to the area. It always feels worse before it gets better. This was major surgery. You can reasonably expect it to take a number of months before there is any real normalcy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@JLcribber I had suggested a platform that has a bowl in (or two if you were going to custom build it) to make eating and drinking easier. I posted this as an example of what I was trying to explain. I don´t know what size platform an alexandrine would need to be able to move around etc on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber I had suggested a platform that has a bowl in (or two if you were going to custom build it) to make eating and drinking easier. I posted this as an example of what I was trying to explain. I don´t know what size platform an alexandrine would need to be able to move around etc on.
Ah yes. The cage mounted swimming pools. They go as fast as I make them. I make them any size from 4" bowls to 10" bowls. Platform can be any size if ordered.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hi, sorry for being inactive and thanks for still answering this thread :)
Sorry for not ordering the woodwork from John. I am still undecided about a few things.
Also, my grandpa cut this section of a walnut tree, which is quite thick and round. I was wondering if I could use it as a platform. I have already cleansed it with F10SCXD cleanser and disinfected it with F10SC.
I have searched about walnut toxicity, but some lists do have it on the safe list and other do not.
If it's not good, I'll just order the flat perch that will be restocked from northenparrots or I'll just make an order from John.

Edit : The walnut tree was from the countryside and was not sprayed with anything from my understanding.

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think if there's any debate about safety, I wouldn't use the wood. There are alternatives that are definitely safe.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Update : So, I know I haven't been active on here, I am sorry for that. About Yoko's foot and her general status.
Well, she still doesn't use her foot to walk, she keeps it behind the perch sometimes and most time hidden. The skin on her foot is also kind of red, almost irritated looking. She has this kind of reaction with it, like when she is bothered by it she will back away, even bend on the outside and then has the urge to chew on something like a maniac.
Also, I think it is tied with the leg problem, the fact that she started plucking her small chest feathers almost a week ago, and she even has a spot where you can see the skin.
I think that this might be the case where I started wondering if she still has heavy metal intoxication, which I think she does based on her behavior. I think I might have to buy another cage because she might have chewed on the bars and they might have not been safe.

So, I have an appointment at the vet on Tuesday to do some blood work for lead and zinc intoxication. I hope I am doing the right thing and not a mistake.

(I am trying to upload a video and it is taking too long, so I might post it later today or tomorrow.)

Attachments

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I have an appointment at the vet on Tuesday to do some blood work for lead and zinc intoxication. I hope I am doing the right thing and not a mistake.
Thanks for updating Yoko's progress. It does sound like she's experiencing some discomfort. Let the vet know all your concerns regarding the appearance and carriage of her leg during your visit. He/She can advise and may also prescribe some pain meds. I'm hopeful she can be helped.

I think it's a good idea to recheck and see where her lead levels stand. Is this the new cage that you think is suspect for lead?

Please let us know how she does on Tuesday. Good luck!

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Thanks for updating Yoko's progress. It does sound like she's experiencing some discomfort. Let the vet know all your concerns regarding the appearance and carriage of her leg during your visit. He/She can advise and may also prescribe some pain meds. I'm hopeful she can be helped.

I think it's a good idea to recheck and see where her lead levels stand. Is this the new cage that you think is suspect for lead?

Please let us know how she does on Tuesday. Good luck!
Yes, it is the new cage, unfortunately.

I will let the vet know the condition of her leg and I will even try to show him the video that I took and am posting here too.

Thank you for the encouragement, I really hope it goes well.❤

(Here is the video in case someone wants to watch it : 20201015_210838.mp4 )

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hi, I know it has been a long time since I last wrote here, but these past few months have been really busy for me. Sorry for not writing back :(
I wanted to share some updates and I also need some advice, again, since the my vet's email seems not to be working.
So I went to the vet and got some bloodwork done for lead and zinc intoxication but they all came back in normal limits and the vet told me that the feather loss on her chest may be due to a behavioural issue.
A few weeks passed and I noticed some changes in her feathers, meaning they started growing back on her chest and I noticed on her leg too, that some pin feathers started to appear. Days later, pin feathers appeared near her face and on her head, and now they are starting to be more obvious. So I am starting to think that her feather loss on her chest could have been the start of her moulting, but I am not sure.
Also, about her normal leg having too much pressure and causing some sort of bumblefoot, he told me to remove the flat perch from her cage and that she needs to have different sized perches (that has something to do with her center of balance constantly moving) and also wrap them with something soft (which I already did those two things). The problem that I have with this is that he told me to remove the flat perch and all the parrot owner's post I have read all say to have a flat perch to rest. I have removed it then, but I put it back today and I want to order a new one soon. I think her foot got some sort of bumblefoot , but its not that noticeable and I have always cleaned her perches and vet-wrapped and put something soft on them and switched their places. It seems not to suffice.
I also bought her a T-stand for her to sit outside, but I am not sure if she will manage by herself outside. And she has a tendency not to go back in her cage and sleep outside, so I am a bit reluctant letting her out in her condition. But also she doesn't get much exercise in the cage and she gets bored easily so she resorts to shredding the vet-wrap until there is nothing left, even though she has foraging toys and chewing toys.

I wanted to hear your opinions about her possible moulting, her foot and letting her outside since you are all more experienced than me.

Attachments

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I haven’t read your full post yet- just the beginning and your most recent post. Sorry if I am missing or repeating anything.
I have a IRN who also had/had foot and ankle damage due to a possible fracture and imbedded ankle ring (She also has a torn nail). Warm epson salt foot baths helped and I bought her a heated perch for heat therapy. She has access to her heated perch whenever she wants it. When she first went to the vet she had lost 80% function of her foot. Her last visited the CAV couldn’t believe her improvement. She still favors her foot- why we think it was a fracture. Depending on how friendly and tame your bird is I think warm epson salt baths and a heated perch maybe something to consider.
I also gave her a Timothy hay grass hut(large) to be able to go into to helprest her leg. She ended up sitting on top of it and eventually taking it apart. I found sea grass huts for rabbits on amazon which Ill eventually replace the Timothy grass hut with. I bought the Timothy grass hut (large) from Petco but had them match the online price (15 dollars vs the 30 dollars in store price).

Last edited: