• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
About the cage, the transaction was already finished when I sent the order, because it already took money from the card.
Also. She really hates standing in that small travel cage and I don't know what to do. She just waddles in it and becomes agitated and starts hanging by the bars. I have taken the carpets out and I am thinking about making some sort of enclosure in my room to let her walk, but I think she will most likely try to fly. She is already using her stub so should I do this or not? And of course I'll watch her, but I am not sure how much I should let her walk.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact the seller to cancel the order. Hopefully it won't have been dispatched yet.

Reactions: Ali

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Contact the seller to cancel the order. Hopefully it won't have been dispatched yet.
Well, sadly, it is already dispatched :(
I'll just wait some months and buy her a new cage some other time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When asked what I do over if I could, it's exactly this! Spend right the first time and you save money.
Yea, I think it´s so easy to think either ¨this cage is ok¨and later it turns out not to be... or more commonly ¨I´ll just get this cage for now, then get a better one next month¨(or some other time not far off).. The problem is later, you look back and think aww man I wasted a few hundred on something I won´t get anything back on.

Well, sadly, it is already dispatched :(
This just happened to me the other week but with a makeup order. The order I wanted to cancel (because I reordered with stuff I had missed on the first order) got shipped before they even read my email and IG message. I called them (in Italy lol) and they said I had to accept the correct order, and refuse to accept the incorrect one, which would then go back to them unopened and untouched and they would issue the refund.. I had no issues and the delivery guy was fine about it too. Got my money back and got the order I wanted :)

It is worth calling to ask if you can refuse acceptance. Once you sign for it, they may have a no returns policy in place due to current world events.

Reactions: tka

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just went back and actually clicked the link for the cage, and I see you ordered from Zooplus. Call them and explain you ordered the wrong cage and want to order the other. Their customer service is very good. I ordered the Julius K9 harness for my friend because she loved mine, and when it came she didn´t like the size, she prefered mine that was a little larger. So i contacted them and they fixed the problem very quickly. I actually got to keep the smaller size harness which I gave to my brothers pitbull, but I´m sure they would want their cage back.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I just went back and actually clicked the link for the cage, and I see you ordered from Zooplus. Call them and explain you ordered the wrong cage and want to order the other. Their customer service is very good. I ordered the Julius K9 harness for my friend because she loved mine, and when it came she didn´t like the size, she prefered mine that was a little larger. So i contacted them and they fixed the problem very quickly. I actually got to keep the smaller size harness which I gave to my brothers pitbull, but I´m sure they would want their cage back.
Well, there is a problem with the space. We are 5 family members (my parents + my grandparents) and all the rooms are occupied. My grandma does not want under any circumstance to use the livingroom as designated space for the parrot. Yoko lives in the same room as me and I already plan to move some things in my room to make a bigger space for the cage, but I cannot go even bigger than that. I do have an apartament left by my paternal grandma and it is currently being renovated. The plan was to let other people live there, but I could move there by myself in a few months and have much more space.
EDIT : Forgot to mention. The livingroom is also not a great place for sleeping since my grandpa loves to watch his movies late at night. There is no other way to place Yoko in a bigger space without her being constantly disturbed by noise or light. I also have an open kitchen, so definitely no.

Last edited:

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
How is Yoko doing today?
Overall, she seems to be doing fine for what she went trough. She is walking with her stub, but she prefers to keep it up when sleeping, I guess there is discomfort there. She is eating all sorts of stuff (Nutriberries, Harrison, cashews, almonds, pine nuts, hemp seeds, vegetables puree, hates the psyllium seeds) and drinking and likes to take her medicine with some juice. She is quite upset sitting in that travel cage, everytime I open her door she makes a dash for it or becomes restless after I close it. She even escaped from my hands while I was trying to clean her collar and change her bedding.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sure it's difficult seeing her distress trying to exit the cage. Can she be let out safely to just spend time in your bedroom supervised to spend time on a play stand or a play area?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I'm sure it's difficult seeing her distress trying to exit the cage. Can she be let out safely to just spend time in your bedroom supervised to spend time on a play stand or a play area?
I could let her on my bed or down on a blanket, but I am afraid she'll try to fly and just fall and I don't want her to put so much strain on her injured leg.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would agree, no flying for right now. It's most important that she heel. Glad she's eating well for you.

I know it's so hard when we can't give them what they want. I'm hoping her new cage arrives quickly!

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
She does not want to eat all her psyllium seeds. The vet told me that they might taste bad. Does anyone know how I can convince her to eat them all? I only have to give her a quarter of a small spoon.
I have tried giving them with almost anything (with juice, with mashed pear, with mashed pear and Nutriberries, with warm vegetables puree and some juice), but nothing seems to make her eat them all. She will take small bites and then throw them away.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Sorry for the long talk about the cage and its size. I actually got confused about what parrot she is. In my country, when you say Alexandrine, we have two versions, the small and the great. But when you search for Alexandrine parakeet, it is actually the great one (Psittacula eupatria). On her chart, her official name is Psittacula krameri, which is the Indian Ringneck. Sorry for the confusion, I got confused myself

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she doing?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
How is she doing?
Hi, she is doing fine, just annoyed with that big collar. She eats just fine, she is just pickier with her food (still eats just only what vegetables she wants, mainly corn), drinks water just fine. Her foot seems to be doing ok, she just avoids using it that much. The good thing is that she sits on her perch, even sleeps on it at night. She likes to hiss at me even more, she thinks she is threatening or something. I dont thinks there is something wrong, but I have noticed
a couple of days ago under her right wing, when she stretched it upwards, a small spot of skin. Don't know if it was there before or not.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hi, so I have been looking for things to accommodate her cage. The only things I found available are the vet wraps for the perches and the rope perches/boings. Those I can buy. But I do not seem to find any platforms for her to sleep or stay or for her to eat comfortably. I found instead some sort of tent that she can stay, but it is no platform. What should I do about it?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, so I have been looking for things to accommodate her cage. The only things I found available are the vet wraps for the perches and the rope perches/boings. Those I can buy. But I do not seem to find any platforms for her to sleep or stay or for her to eat comfortably. I found instead some sort of tent that she can stay, but it is no platform. What should I do about it?
Try searching rodent platforms, many are designed for both rodents and birds, so maybe you’ll have some luck there

Reactions: Ali

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Is it possible to make one? Maybe try to make a platform/resting area with the rope perches. I'm thinking you would be able to get creative with something like this as a base:

View attachment 351928

That sounds like a good idea. I am thinking of buying two or three like that one.
Also, about the vet wrap. I went to a vet clinic about the vet wraps and they told me they do not sell them and that I should find them at a human pharmacy. I was told there is no difference between vet ones and human ones, but I have a little bit of doubt.
So I went and bought these kind. Are they any good?

Edit : Would these be okay to use as rope perches instead of the one you showed me? I can order that one too, but I was considering how long it would take to ship.

Attachments

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The rope perches look great! You should be able to do quite a bit with them. The wraps you show are fine too. The "vet" wrap can be purchased from a pharmacy or discount store. A discount store will usually market it under "Sports Wrap". A pharmacy will usually charge more and it is a wrap bandage that sticks to itself and is marketed under different names.

I can see you making quite a nice comfy platform resting area for her using the rope perch and the vet wrap!

Last edited: