• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
You may feel better getting a second opinion at this point.
I have an appointment at 18:30 today at the first vet. For sure I would not have slept a wink tonight if I did not make an appointment and things got worse.
At this point, the first vet always seemed likeable since he also has an Alexandrine parakeet. It is not normal to dismiss me like that when I am so concerned for her. I know some vets must be busy, but I just want some answers because I do not have the medical knowledge that they have.
How is it normal for her to walk with the foot like a fist? I know the difference between tucked in and what she looks like right now. It does not even look like a foot. I am just baffled since they are supposed to be the best at treating exotic animals. I would pay hard money for her to get better. It literally breaks my heart seeing her like this. I am just thinking at night, when I lay in my bed, what if I wake up tomorrow morning and find her dead because I did not do the best for her and the vet dismissed? It scares me the most just to think about it.
I know I'm probably exaggerating but I this whole situation put a toll on my mental health and on her own health.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My heart goes out to you. There's nothing worse than to see our bird suffering.

At this point, the first vet always seemed likeable since he also has an Alexandrine parakeet. It is not normal to dismiss me like that when I am so concerned for her. I know some vets must be busy, but I just want some answers because I do not have the medical knowledge that they have.
I agree. Your other vet may be the best reviewed but they are not the best at caring and concern. I would much rather work with a person that cares about my bird and will work WITH ME to have the best possible outcome. Good luck with your appointment. I am so hoping they will have good options for you.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
You may feel better getting a second opinion at this point.
Update : I have got really bad news. I am writing this in tears and my heart broken.
So her fingers are pretty much gone. She doesn't feel anything in them. She has feeling in her leg, but down her fingers she doesnt have any reflex. And it is actually starting to necrotize in some of them. The vet told me he also has never seen something like this before and that they could possibly save two of her legs.
I have got an appointment sometime tomorrow to do something about it. Also, the vet I saw today he told to come back to him after this to look for solutions.

I just wish this happened to me instead of her. My heart is hurting so much for her. I can't believe this happened, I just ruined her life.I just want to dig a grave for myself and jump in.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry. This is so heartbreaking. I am hoping that the new doctor is able to save as much as possible. Birds are very resilient and once she heals she will learn how to get around.

No doubt you will do everything in your power to assist her. You have done a phenomenal job caring for her and have been very intuitive that something was wrong.

I am hopeful that tomorrow brings better news and the new doctor will have a plan to help her.

:bighug:

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I’m so sorry. This is so heartbreaking. I am hoping that the new doctor is able to save as much as possible. Birds are very resilient and once she heals she will learn how to get around.

No doubt you will do everything in your power to assist her. You have done a phenomenal job caring for her and have been very intuitive that something was wrong.

I am hopeful that tomorrow brings better news and the new doctor will have a plan to help her.

:bighug:
Well, I am going to the vet I went yesterday for the ring removal to demand some answers as to what tf happened in there and see what's there to be done. I literally hate them so much right now.
The vet that I went today told me that he is available anytime to come up with solutions after I deal with the vets tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do believe you will have recourse with the vet that did that damage. Keep all your documentation. What happened is just terrible and they were potentially making it worse by telling you, oh nothing to worry about, nothing to see here just wait.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I have the documentation and the vet I saw today made a copy of that documentation.
I'll also be asking to be seen by another vet in their clinic and an explanation to be given to me by that vet yesterday, verbally and written.
I just cannot comprehend how this happened. No matter how much self-mutilation there is, it isn't plausible for me that she somehow bit her leg to cause this much damage. The one I went today told me that even her ligament was not ok.
I just think that what went on that day needs to be clearly explained face to face, not via phone call.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I can't help but think that the vet did the damage removing the band. The initial picture shows an awful lot of damage for her to have done before anyone noticed.
I am thinking the same and even the vet I went yesterday probably thought the same, even though he said he is not accusing anyone.
I am ready to confront the vet because I do not believe the bs he told me. At first when he told me that I was like "Ok, that sounds like something she would do", but then when I saw the leg the way it was yesterday I clearly do not buy it.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Sorry, forgot to update, it was a long day.
So I have been to another vet thinking that he may actually fix anything just to be told that I should be seen by the one who did the procedure.
So, got home, waited some time, went to the clinic just to be told that she needs to get an x-ray of the hole body to see the state of her heart and kidneys and some other organ, just to be sure she did not have any pre-existing conditions.
He told me that he does not know why her foot did not decompress correctly so thats why her foot looks this way and he wants to rule out any pre-existing condition.
Also, the surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, sadly they will have to amputate it.
I hope she pulls through it, but I am scared because I do not know how to take care for a only one legged parrot, and an untamed one. I do not know what things to get her to accommodate. I am literally so scared for the future.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry Adelina. Sending all my best that Yoko has a successful surgery tomorrow. I am going to tag a few members that may be able to offer suggestions and tips for how to set up Yoko's cage to make things easier for her to access everything.

@ncGreyBirdLady
@taxidermynerd
@Zara
@Birdbabe

Also this thread may be helpful:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am scared because I do not know how to take care for a only one legged parrot, and an untamed one. I do not know what things to get her to accommodate. I am literally so scared for the future.
Try not to be scared. Your bird will adapt, they are very good at that :)

First, you may want to be sure to line the cage floor with a non pilling blanket, vet wrap perches/platforms to make them more plush and softer, you may want to look at a platform food bowl as it will be easier for her to eat. Add rope perches/boings. She may enjoy something soft to sleep on... maybe a platform perch up high with fabric vet wrapped to it.

I remember seeing a thread about setup help, I will see if I can dig it out.

I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow :hug9:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Found it;
there is an interesting pillow thing that may be good for you;

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That pressure mattress is awesome!
I made a perch for Adelie that was like a pillow but because she is a lovebird I used a stuffed toy. It wouldn´t work as good for an IRN as they would just destroy it.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm so very sorry for what you and your baby are going through.I pray that the surgery goes well. I also think that the damage was done when they removed the band and to put him under twice-THAT is criminal in my book! Please dont be so hard on yourself-none of this is or was your fault.You have been such a great Parront through all of this. Once he gets home and feels better-he will surprise you at how well he manages.Zara has given you some really good ideas.He will use his beak to climb and swing etc etc-The beak is like a third foot and believe me they will learn how to go anywhere and do anything he wants to.When My Gemini was a baby I did not know if she would ever be able to get around a cage so I used ladders throughout her cage leading to platforms,food and water toys etc etc.
I did pretty much the same for Knuckles(he has no toes) This picture is later after he learned to climb the rope and the cage bars to go everywhere in his cage Budgie cage possibility
He had spent years in a guinea pig cage and never knew the joy of getting around. Please let us know how the surgery goes :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At this point, I am thinking of going to the first vet and asking for a second opinion.
I'll probably just be dismissed as usual if I call them again.
They should never dismiss you, ever, its they're oath.theyre job, to help! That cone looks way too big, it should be small enough to keep her from picking at the foot. But also small enough to let her eat and drink normal..

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, forgot to update, it was a long day.
So I have been to another vet thinking that he may actually fix anything just to be told that I should be seen by the one who did the procedure.
So, got home, waited some time, went to the clinic just to be told that she needs to get an x-ray of the hole body to see the state of her heart and kidneys and some other organ, just to be sure she did not have any pre-existing conditions.
He told me that he does not know why her foot did not decompress correctly so thats why her foot looks this way and he wants to rule out any pre-existing condition.
Also, the surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, sadly they will have to amputate it.
I hope she pulls through it, but I am scared because I do not know how to take care for a only one legged parrot, and an untamed one. I do not know what things to get her to accommodate. I am literally so scared for the future.
I'm so sorry honey, she will adapt, I hope the surgery goes well and shes given pain meds and antibiotics..prayers,,

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Oh no, what a hard week for both of you. You’ve been such a good advocate for Yoko through just one thing after another.

Others have posted some really good advice for setting up the cage for a special needs bird. I just wanted to say that I had a budgie who lost a leg, and she adapted very well. It took her a few weeks to adjust and she always had one quirk- she liked to lay down on her tummy with her one foot stretched out behind her. I gave her lots of ladders to get around, and platforms so she could rest her little foot in the position she liked. Wish I had a picture but she was very camera shy.

Best of luck to both of you. I hope everything goes smoothly from here :sadhug2: