• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Hi everyone :)
So my Alexandrine parakeet had some problems about a week and half ago with two of her nails. One of them got broken and resulted in her getting a bandage at the vet. Next day, I went to the vet to remove her bandage and noticed some drops of blood and by the time I got to the vet it bled quite a lot. The vet told me that the nail was completely ripped off and it remains a mystery (either it got caught in the other bandage or she just felt like ripping it off). So, no more bandages for her, just to giver her the antibiotics. Gave her the anitbiotics for a week, until last Friday. Everything was going well that Friday, until later that evening she messed up with the wound of the first nail, bleeding started again. On Saturday, throughout the day, the wound was ok. Came back from a walk and noticed blood and most likely was from a small clot from where she ripped. From then until now, there has been no bleeding and the wound seems to be healing, I hope.
On Saturday, I have made an appointment at a another vet on Wednesday, to a place farther away.
I am in a bit of dilemma. On one side, she does seem to be better, but I do not know if she will start nipping at her wound again and that concerns me. On the other side, she is not hand tamed and it is quite the stress for me and for her to catch her and I am also afraid that once she is inside her carrier, she will start panicking and start prodding at the scab and eventually start another bleed. Another thing I am afraid is that if the vet puts a bandage around her wound, she might start picking obsessively at that or at the toe with no nail or at a completely fine toe. I know the vet could put her a collar, but I read that they cannot raise the wings, balance or climb and since she is wild/not hand-tamed and doesnt have an adequate place to stay to fit her need, I wonder if there is a need for that.

Sorry if it is too long to read, but I need your advice.

20200810_183830.jpg . 20200810_183741.jpg 20200810_190958.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a bandage would be a good idea. The vet can put some extra tape on it as a decoy for her to chew.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I think a bandage would be a good idea. The vet can put some extra tape on it as a decoy for her to chew.
Would the bandage need to be taken off after a while? Or will she take it off by herself?
If she only needs the bandage and for it to be taken off, I am thinking of cancelling the appointment and going to the first vet since he is closer and knows how to do it too.

Reactions: Ali

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
One more question. Should I also ask the vet to remove the ring if he can? She seems to obsessively pull at it and I think it makes her even more agitated. Also, the feathers on her leg seem to be missing so I am thinking she may be quite bothered by that ring.
I asked the first vet if there is the need to remove the ring and he said no, but observing her daily it clearly stands out to me that she does not like that ring for one bit and I certainly would not like if I had one around my leg.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I noticed in the video that it did seem to be bothering her. If it were me, I would request it be removed.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Update : Still at the vet, got her twice on anesthesia to remove her ring. She woke up from the first anesthesia and her first instinct was to bite at her leg so they had to put her under again. Now she is awake and has a collar, a bandage and needs to take an analgesic until Monday.
I hope everything is going to be fine, I am quite worried about her since she tends to get stressed.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know what you’re saying, I’m a worrier too. It’s never pleasant to see them upset.

I hope her recovery is a fast one and once her foot is healed she won’t be inclined to fuss with it. Thank you for letting us know how she’s doing.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
This day has taken the turn for the worst. I am literally on the verge of tears.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, I'm so sorry. Her foot does look very sore. I hope they have some answers as to what happened and most important some solutions. Possibly a soft collar would also make her feel better. Prayers and good thoughts for you both!

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I am on my way back home.
The thing is she bit her leg bad when she woke up from the anesthesia, which is not normal.
Now she has a bigger collar so she can't reach at all at her feet and bite.
I have to giver her the analgesic and put Bepanthen cream on her leg twice a day.
The question I have is : should I let her in the travel cage since it is lower and easier for her to stay and walk and easier for me to catch her and apply the ointment and give her the med? I know it is smaller than her normal cage, but I don't think I have a choice.

Attachments

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would keep her in the smaller cage while she is being treated for her injury. It will save her the added stress of being chased around inside a large cage when you need to apply medication.

She can go back to her larger cage when she is more healthy.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely! Do what will make it easier for the both of you while she heals, which I hope is real soon.

EDIT: I looked at the picture again and I see the neck collar is sticking out through the bars of the cage. I'm wondering if when that happens if it will stress her; it may stop her from getting to het food dish depending on where she gets stuck. What do you think about setting her up safely in a clear plastic bin so that collar can't catch on anything?

Last edited:

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Absolutely! Do what will make it easier for the both of you while she heals, which I hope is real soon.

EDIT: I looked at the picture again and I see the neck collar is sticking out through the bars of the cage. I'm wondering if when that happens if it will stress her; it may stop her from getting to het food dish depending on where she gets stuck. What do you think about setting her up safely in a clear plastic bin so that collar can't catch on anything?
That sounds like a good idea, except I do not know how to prevent her from trying to escape. You are referring to a rectangular clear plastic container, right?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina

Should I also forego the perches?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds like a good idea, except I do not know how to prevent her from trying to escape. You are referring to a rectangular clear plastic container, right?
Yes, they do come with lids and you would have to add air holes. The only thing that I would be uncertain about is the air quality of having her a plastic bin for an extended period of time. I don't know if they off-gas?? @JLcribber Give that some thought. Maybe other members will post their thoughts. I have a large aquarium glass tank, which I refer over plastic, that I have set up. I think a low perch would be fine as long as she can't get the collar hung up on it.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Yes, they do come with lids and you would have to add air holes. The only thing that I would be uncertain about is the air quality of having her a plastic bin for an extended period of time. I don't know if they off-gas?? @JLcribber Give that some thought. Maybe other members will post their thoughts.
I have bought a plastic container that has a lid that retracts half-way from both ends, but I do not know how to drill holes for a perch. Also, would she be tempted to somehow fly if she sees that half the lid is open?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
What container is it? The particular material will affect how to add holes.