• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Update : So the surgery went well. She was kept under supervising for about 8 hours. She seems to be doing good, she was given a strong drug so she is sleepy, but as soon as she heard the rustling of the Nutriberries she woke up. She is eating and drinking.
Well, the X-Ray did reveal something disturbing, which I take responsability for it. She has heavy metal poisoning, which explains why she kept prodding at the foot with the ring and why she bit her leg. I think it caused changes in her behaviour. I believe it is due to the her cage, since I bought the cage from the same person that sold me the bird. I saw her chewing sometime, but I did not consider it being of importance. So, now she is on CaEDTA treatment for 28 days and psyllium seeds. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory is to be given but no more than 3 days because it can exacerbate her kidney function.
Her foot is expected to heal in 14-21 days, but I have to go a follow-up after 10-14 days if everything is going well.
She seems to adapt already, she is using the stub too.
After 3 days I will introduce her to a perch.
Now I have to find a suitable cage for her and make some adjustement to her perches or buy new ones from somewhere.
I thank all of you who have helped me, it is a great moral support for me.

(Would it be okay if I keep asking you for advice about some products in the future? Since I do not know how suitable they would be for her and you have more experience than me.
Also, the site from where I am buying the cage is northern parrots.)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m glad all went smoothly :)

as soon as she heard the rustling of the Nutriberries she woke up.
of course she did :rolleyes: :loveshower:

Now I have to find a suitable cage for her and make some adjustement to her perches or buy new ones from somewhere.
I would make the cage priority.
It´s good you got a diagnosis so can make changes.

Would it be okay if I keep asking you for advice about some products in the future?
Post as many questions as you need. This is what AA is for and we are all here for each other :) :hug9:

@Hankmacaw

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adelina, overall that is a good report and treatment sounds promising for a good outcome.

Please stay and get to know everyone. We would love to follow Yoko's progress and would be more than happy to help with suggestions.

What cage are you thinking about getting at Northern Parrots?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
wouldn’t a smaller cage be safer for her to move around?
Actually, a small cage is not a good idea as she will likely fly to get around and will need space to flap her wings.
She may cilmb with her beak, but she really needs that space for her wings too. Flapping wings help maintain balance.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For cages, wouldn’t a smaller cage be safer for her to move around?
Not definetly.

With lots of platform perches and ramps to get around a large cage would be fine. Maybe even better as it will help him get used to a single leg.

Sadly all the cages you posted have too-wide bar spacing.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Actually, a small cage is not a good idea as she will likely fly to get around and will need space to flap her wings.
She may cilmb with her beak, but she really needs that space for her wings too. Flapping wings help maintain balance.
I was thinking about that too.
If someone could recommend a cage from that site it would be great. My maximum budget would be around 300 pounds, I don't think I could afford a pricier one.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Dakota looks nice. Is that 300 pounds? Is the bar spacing suitable?

Reactions: Ali

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What is the correct bar spacing for an Alexandrine?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does this mean I cannot proceed with the purchase since I am not form UK?
It looks that way. You may have to buy from a site from your country.