• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
That should be pretty easy to drill through, just make sure that you have it tipped on the side you want

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
One more question for who can answer. She keeps the injured foot like a fist and stays with it like that and even on the towel she stays like that Could it be that it hurts and it is trying to protect it?
My mom checked to see if she opens it and curls it and she does that.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too. She's probably keeping it close to her to protect it. It's probably sore and feels better if she doesn't put weight on it. I hope she feels better soon. You're doing such a good job taking care of her.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too. She's probably keeping it close to her to protect it. It's probably sore and feels better if she doesn't put weight on it. I hope she feels better soon. You're doing such a good job taking care of her.
She keeps staying like this with it.

Attachments

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the picture. It's been a rough day for her and it may just feel good to her to keep it balled up like that. If in a day or so if you don't see her hold the digits out in a more normal position I would send that picture to the vet. He may want to bandage the foot in a normal position so it doesn't stay like that. If it were me I would be sure to reach out to the vet by Friday so you don't go into the weekend with any more worry than need be. This will allow time for her to be seen Friday if he did want to bandage. Poor baby looks so tired. I hope she's feeling better soon.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I'll observe her tomorrow and if it's not ok until tomorrow evening, I'll call the clinic and ask what to do. Thank you for taking your time

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I was reading the medical paper about her examination and at the end of it, at the recommendations part I saw that is says (rough translation) :
"
(......)
Follow-up on Monday
Observing her general appearance ( appetite, urine, defecation)
It is possible that Yoko may be more stressed for 24-48 hrs until she is more comfortable with the collar. Also, due to her wounds on her leg, she may use it a little bit harder/sloppy for 2-3 days."

Should I still inquire the vet by tomorrow evening if her foot doesn't stay the normal way? Even if they told me that it may be harder to use it.

Also, should I call them in case she doesn't want to eat or drink?

Today, she did not really want to touch anything, probably due to the stress and manhandling. Kept throwing the food and water bowls. Would really need some advice on how to feed her if she doesn't want to eat her normal food. I have bought some organic purees that are made for babies, fruit ones and vegetables ones, and some organic juice. Also, a spoon for babies.

I'll probably have to painstakingly wait for the day to pass and hope she does not do anything foolish.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are concerned about anything I would recommend you call on the vet. I would rather double check than wait too long.

Yes, do anything you can to get her to eat and drink. Hand feed her all her favorites and make sure her dishes are under her beak. I don't know what she normally eats or likes, but some ideas are:

I'm thinking warm, soft

Mash some warm cooked sweet potato with orange juice or almond butter.
Oatmeal with a fruit puree
Corn, Peas
Warm cooked Pasta with some vegetable puree over it
Toast with almond butter

I have had success adding a little apple juice to water to get them to drink for me when they're not feeling well. So try that with the juice you have.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I have tried feeding her from a baby spoon and giving her water mixed with juice but the only success I had was with the water. She won't even stay and try. She just runs away
Should I catch her and try to feed her?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
I have called them to inquire about her foot and they told me that the effect of the medicine (Meloxoral) would be noticeable when 48-72 hrs have passed and that she should use her leg like normally, and if by Saturday she doesn't improve I should go back. It seems to me like a long time to wait.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If I was you I would call as soon as possible to ask them to reassess the situation. I always call them back if I am concerned even if it is just for some peace of mind. If the behaviour you describe to them is what they expect you should be seeing then all good and if it is not what they were expecting then I hope they would ask you to come in earlier.

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
If I was you I would call as soon as possible to ask them to reassess the situation. I always call them back if I am concerned even if it is just for some peace of mind. If the behaviour you describe to them is what they expect you should be seeing then all good and if it is not what they were expecting then I hope they would ask you to come in earlier.
Yes, I have called them and they told me that her keeping her foot like that is to protect herself (but it seems weird to me that she walks with it like that) and that the medicine should help her in 48-72 hrs (until Saturday) and she would start using it normally and if by Saturday morning she is still not using her foot normally, I should call and come that day.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I still would call back one more time and emphasize that she is walking like that. Just ask for verification again that it’s OK that she holds the foot like this and walks like this. Let them know that she has not opened up the foot one time since she has been home.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, I know the situation has been very hard on her and on you. You may have to think about taking her back in today or tomorrow so that they can see what you’re seeing.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may have to. I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it must be its exasperating to not be getting the answers and care you feel she needs. Is she doing any better today?

squishy_bub

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adelina
You may have to. I'm sorry you're going through this. I know it must be its exasperating to not be getting the answers and care you feel she needs. Is she doing any better today?
She is sleeping like a lot and I am not sure if she is in pain or not.