• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some advice on perches

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm getting a new bird and I need some perches, I have a limited amount of money, and I need a place with good, varied perches that aren't too expensive. The perches are for a conure.

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
I purchased some perches from Seriously nutz. I thought that the pricing was very good and the perches were really nice. There was a good variety to choose from as well and I was able to pick the approximate diameter.. I think I purchased birch and applewood for my conure .. Ill try to snap a pic for you...

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
7CA57966-09C9-4F29-8914-9254E0651326.jpeg
8AFF1BF1-D44C-4E63-B819-D4B824561507.jpeg
the blue arrow is the applewood perch
red is birch I wanted to try to get a pic of the bird on it for reference but he doesn’t cooperate when he sees my phone lol
I also had a ton of questions when ordering and she was super patient and very helpful while answering all of them ..

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
View attachment 382704
View attachment 382705
the blue arrow is the applewood perch
red is birch I wanted to try to get a pic of the bird on it for reference but he doesn’t cooperate when he sees my phone lol
I also had a ton of questions when ordering and she was super patient and very helpful while answering all of them ..
Thank you, I'll check it out

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had custom made applewood perches from @JLcribber The bonus to this is that if you're in the USA, you'll benefit from your dollar being worth more than ours.

Mine are beautiful. He can make you anything & the prices are unbeatable. I got to choose my diameter, etc.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here are pictures of the pine platform perch he made & the largest diameter applewood perch I chose. Don't mind Aurelius & Winston - they're scared of my phone, not the perches & toys. :)

Pine.JPG

Applewood in the foreground, with Winston & Marzipan the nosy neighbour photo-bombing.
Apple.JPG

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I was wondering how you get them and much they cost, I'm having trouble figuring out.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tag him for you. @JLcribber If you're not a minor, you should PM him (minors can't PM).

Mine were a great deal, even compared to pet store prices. I forget exactly, but they were a great deal & look way better (as in no contest for looks or price!).

Also, the conversion rate is real. Americans save a lot!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I was wondering how you get them and much they cost, I'm having trouble figuring out.
I have a store but there are no perches in there at the moment. I have a $20 +S minimum order for anything. Tell me how long and how thick and how many you want.

Ingenarel

Meeting neighbors
When using perches, it's best to use a natural tree branch. I myself use lemon, bamboo, and bilimbi branches as a perch for my budgies.(i dunno whether bilimbi wood is safe though.)

the following list includes wood that’s definitely safe for parakeet perches:

Almond
Apple
Ash
Bamboo
Beech
Birch
Cottonwood
Crab apple
Date
Douglas fir
Dracaena
Elm
Eucalyptus
Fig
Ginkgo
Grape vines
Hawthorn
Hibiscus
Hickory
Larch
Lemon
Lilac
Lime
Maple
Mountain ash (rowan)
Mulberry
Orange
Palm
Poplar
Rose
Rubber plant
Spruce
Sycamore
Tree fern
Willow
Yucca

The following species have been implicated in parakeet health problems, so don’t use any of these as perches:

Alder
Apricot
Azalea
Box elder
Boxwood
Buckthorn
Burdock
Cedar
Elder
Heather
Holly
Horse chestnut
Huckleberry
Hydrangea
Jasmine
Juniper
Laburnum
Laurel
Mango
Myrtle
Nectarine
Nutmeg
Oak
Mistletoe
Oleander
Peach
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Sage
Tobacco
Walnut
Witch hazel
Wisteria
Yew

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
How many could I get for 12inch long an .5thick? I might order some from Amazon, but If I get a really good deal most likely I'm going to buy from you

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
When using perches, it's best to use a natural tree branch. I myself use lemon, bamboo, and bilimbi branches as a perch for my budgies.(i dunno whether bilimbi wood is safe though.)

the following list includes wood that’s definitely safe for parakeet perches:

Almond
Apple
Ash
Bamboo
Beech
Birch
Cottonwood
Crab apple
Date
Douglas fir
Dracaena
Elm
Eucalyptus
Fig
Ginkgo
Grape vines
Hawthorn
Hibiscus
Hickory
Larch
Lemon
Lilac
Lime
Maple
Mountain ash (rowan)
Mulberry
Orange
Palm
Poplar
Rose
Rubber plant
Spruce
Sycamore
Tree fern
Willow
Yucca

The following species have been implicated in parakeet health problems, so don’t use any of these as perches:

Alder
Apricot
Azalea
Box elder
Boxwood
Buckthorn
Burdock
Cedar
Elder
Heather
Holly
Horse chestnut
Huckleberry
Hydrangea
Jasmine
Juniper
Laburnum
Laurel
Mango
Myrtle
Nectarine
Nutmeg
Oak
Mistletoe
Oleander
Peach
Plum
Privet
Rhododendron
Sage
Tobacco
Walnut
Witch hazel
Wisteria
Yew
Thank you so much for working so hard on this list! I think my favorite kind of perch is grape vine, so twisty

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How many could I get for 12inch long an .5thick? I might order some from Amazon, but If I get a really good deal most likely I'm going to buy from you

I wouldn't waste your money @ amazon. I now have perches from Sarah's shop "Seriously Nutz" & John's shop "Parrotparaphernalia".

You will actually save money. Both will extensively take you to the best perches for your bird & their needs. I thought I needed a 1" for Buddy & a 1/2 to 3/4 inch is better for his feet. Buddy has some disability issues where he needs very stabilized perches (His sight is bad). Was able to do that with a Manilla rope perch & a zip tie from Sarah's @Macawnutz shop. The 3rd one I bought from her isn't up yet, but here are pics of the applewood 8" I bought. Tonight is Buddy's 1st night & he's very happy as you can see.

20210515_201418~2.jpg

20210516_222009.jpg

As for John's @JLcribber perch, I was strapped for money. I wanted the double landing perch but wasn't sure my budget could afford it. John took me to the single landing perch. Buddy doesn't fly much so his exercise is mainly climbing, & hanging. He loves John's perch & its been a great investment that I'm sure will last many years. It's beautiful & well thought out. This is my favorite perch!

20210225_121134.jpg 20210318_132802.jpg

I was slow to perchase from our AA vendors. I've had Buddy since 3/2017. He's excelled because of the excellent products that our vendors carry & their great customer service.

I wasted hundreds of dollars on stuff from Amazon. I now wish I could go back in time & change my shopping methods. It would've saved me money & polluted the world a little less because of having to throw out items because they were not proper, were seriously cheap in being made, or like a few supported rope perches (w/ wire inside) broke almost directly out of the packaging. There may be a little more money spent initially on cost buying from our vendors but you will have longevity on your side as long as you properly maintain them. Plus, our vendors take the time to answer your ?'s & find the best fit for your species of bird. It's a win-win. That money you do not spend throwing stuff out, can be put in the bank for when your bird ages & needs more vet care.

:hug8:Rain

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
If you could estimate, how much from each perch. All my money goes to my birds and it's limited, so I just need to know how much per perch.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you could estimate, how much from each perch. All my money goes to my birds and it's limited, so I just need to know how much per perch.
They’re $20 each. If you buy 3 I’ll throw in a 4th one for free.

Shipping would be somewhere in the range of $25.

1/2” perches are too thin even for budgies. Also too small to work with. Perches are 3/4” and up.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm very sorry, but I think thats too expensive for me.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I'm very interested, but I'm having trouble finding it. Sorry it's because no matter how I write it all I get is baby toys