• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Reccommendations for a No Dump Food Bowl and Holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
:omg: Truely's on a roll. All this week she's discovered the joys of food dish dumping in her sleep cage, and today she put her beak through the lanai screen. :eek:

Any hoo, does anyone have any kind of reccommendation on a undumpable food bowl and holder?

Ginger

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
These are great! they're made by midwest metal and I LOVE MINE we use them for food, or water or Even bath tubs for the tiels, lovebirds, budgies and conures They can NOT get them out of the holder

the only thing I had to do when I started using them was spread open the holder a little bit (stretch it out) the dish was hard to get in and out

We gave a couple to my b/f's sister who has 3 cockatoos NONE were able to get them out :D

here's the website for them on Midwest metals, if you scroll down just a bit there's a few stores on the right hand side that sell them.

Snap'y Stainless Steel Bowls, Midwest Snap'y Fit Bowls

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Cool Beans. Thanks.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This is why I barelly put food in their food bowls. I ONLY put enough food that my birds will eat per meal.

Which means they get 2-4tablespoons of DRY food in the morning(2 tablespoons for moby as he is housed seperately, and Bokka and Opa are together so they get about 4 tablespoons), and THATS IT. And in another dish, a HEAVIER dish, a ceramic dish, is their veggies for the morning (or birdie bread or whatever I dish up for them). They have seed/dry fruits/nuts in their foraging toys.

Then when I get home they get dinner around 5:30-6pm.

They learn that they much prefer to eat what they have then to dump everything.

I prefer ceramic bowls over SS because they are heavier, and bird typically dont tip them also.

So heavier bowls, and not filling the dish all the way up and only feeding enough PER meal, helps a lot.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
gotta love that Truely!!

sounds like she is redecorating for spring!!

those snap bowls look great!

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Oooohh I so need these. Jack loves the dump and run concept. Crazy boy! Thanks for posting a great solution

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
Lok Croks work pretty well for some. Ray learned how to twist those off though so all of these types are only as good as your "mechanic" -

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
This is why I barelly put food in their food bowls. I ONLY put enough food that my birds will eat per meal.

Which means they get 2-4tablespoons of DRY food in the morning(2 tablespoons for moby as he is housed seperately, and Bokka and Opa are together so they get about 4 tablespoons), and THATS IT. And in another dish, a HEAVIER dish, a ceramic dish, is their veggies for the morning (or birdie bread or whatever I dish up for them). They have seed/dry fruits/nuts in their foraging toys.

Then when I get home they get dinner around 5:30-6pm.

They learn that they much prefer to eat what they have then to dump everything.

I prefer ceramic bowls over SS because they are heavier, and bird typically dont tip them also.

So heavier bowls, and not filling the dish all the way up and only feeding enough PER meal, helps a lot.:hug8:

I put little food/veggies in Piper's bowls and she STILL dumps them.:eek::eek::eek:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
These are great! they're made by midwest metal and I LOVE MINE we use them for food, or water or Even bath tubs for the tiels, lovebirds, budgies and conures They can NOT get them out of the holder

the only thing I had to do when I started using them was spread open the holder a little bit (stretch it out) the dish was hard to get in and out

We gave a couple to my b/f's sister who has 3 cockatoos NONE were able to get them out :D

here's the website for them on Midwest metals, if you scroll down just a bit there's a few stores on the right hand side that sell them.

Snap'y Stainless Steel Bowls, Midwest Snap'y Fit Bowls
Tika learned to snap that bowl out of it's holder in about 20 minutes.

This is the only kind of bowl I've found that is not dumpable. It has a full thread underneath to screw it on.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Where did you get that John?
Don't know anymore. I bought 3 or 4 of them many years ago and I haven't seen them since. If I remember it was Hagen brand.

drop

Rollerblading along the road
I have similar to John's, also Hagen. They come in 3 sizes. Here is a link for the biggest one. I think the other sizes are 10oz and 20oz.

Hagen Stainless Steel Parrot Cup With Attachment 32 Oz-Bird Cage Cups

A friend's Macaw ripped a few from the welds though, so they are not foolproof for the tough guys. They may be making them cheaper then before, seems to be the case with many things unfortunately.

Last edited:

whitewolf3307

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle

I use the quick lock ones with mine. They are easy to remove and lock in place so they can't be dumped.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

I use the quick lock ones with mine. They are easy to remove and lock in place so they can't be dumped.

i have those my teils figured out they could go under it and nibble away at the clip and then they're worthless

how they managed it I don't know but leave it up to them to figure out how to destroy something and make a nice big mess for me

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Are you kidding, Cockatiels do that kind of destruction? I have a Macaw that it takes her some doing to mess it up. Those crocks are pretty dang durable but that section is the most vurnable part of the whole thing. I wish they would sell just the bottom part without the crock but if they destroy or widdle away at the little section that locks it into the slot, then you have problems with it staying on tightly and I have many that are loose when twisted into place all the way but that is mainly due to when the crock is not in place then they widdle on the slot part of it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have similar to John's, also Hagen. They come in 3 sizes. Here is a link for the biggest one. I think the other sizes are 10oz and 20oz.
Hagen Stainless Steel Parrot Cup With Attachment 32 Oz-Bird Cage Cups

A friend's Macaw ripped a few from the welds though, so they are not foolproof for the tough guys. They may be making them cheaper then before, seems to be the case with many things unfortunately.
I may try one of those. Maybe I can get my neighbor to reinforce the welds. To date I haven't found any feed cup that Hank can't destroy. The quick lock one he just pulls on until he breaks the crock out of the holder (breaks not twists). The heavy crockery ones he removes and tosses. The coop cups he breaks the welds on the metal holder. I have the feeders on their AE cage wired in with stainless steel wire. It's a pain to do and undo twice a day, but I don't have a choice.
ML

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

i have those my teils figured out they could go under it and nibble away at the clip and then they're worthless

how they managed it I don't know but leave it up to them to figure out how to destroy something and make a nice big mess for me
Yea. If they cant figure out how to nibble them loose, they start to use force and just break them. There is no bowl that is completely TOO proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.