• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Pre Prep Food Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Indy came to me on Living World Premium Small Parrot Food (premium seeds, fruits, nuts and tropican granuals), but Ive been thinking for the last week or so that it has a lot of peanuts and sunflower seeds in it, which Im not too happy with him eating in large quantities.
Hagen Tropimix Super Premium Small Parrot Bird Food 80642 - 4.4 lb - Discounts at Smarter.com
Today when I went out I got Tropican Lifetime Formula, my first reaction was that it smelt like fruity chewing gum! but it still contains peanut and sunflower kernals, which Im not sure of either.
TROPICAN LIFETIME FORMULA
And I also got a bag of Tropimix Small Parrots Food Mix, which has fruits, nuts legumes and Tropican (the same as the Living World) this one looks to have a better variety of ingredients but still has peanuts and sunflower seeds.
Hagen Tropimix Small Parrot Food 1.9 Lbs-Bird Foods
It looks like its made by the same company as the Living World food.
Can anyone shed any light on this, as I dont know if Im making things worse or better, or should I just leave him on what hes on now?
I just dont want him to end up with Fatty Liver Disease or anything else if I can prevent it now.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think it's hard for us to help because the products are so different in the UK. Does he eat fruits and veggies?

Can you get Roudybush or Harrisons or Tops pellets there? Usually there sold from the vets office.

The other alternative is to pick out most of the peanuts and sunflower seeds and hold those back for treats and training.

Ginger

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
He eats fruit and veggies, I can get Harrisons from the vet but hes not keen on eating them, and I dont really want to pay such a huge price if hes just going to waste the things, thats why I was looking for an alternative.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
It took Truely over a year to eat her Harrisons, but then I switched to the pepper and she loves it. When I was trying to get her to eat it, I just put a few cubes in with her regular food. Now that's what she goes for first. I crush up a couple cubes for Trinket and sprinkle it in his regular food and he likes the pepper as well.

Ginger

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Ive been putting the cubes in Indys food for a few months now but he never touches them, he has when Ive been holding them but other than that nothing.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would crush them up and sprinkle on his regular food. Sometimes it's the presentation.

Trinket didn't eat one fruit or veggie until I figured out that he liked paper thin slices.

Ginger

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I even tried with a pestle and mortar but he just seemed to work his way through the crumbs to whatever else was in the bowl. I guess its back to square one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Eating is a social activity. Birds learn what to eat, how to eat it and where to find it from the rest of the flock. We are now that flock. So it's up to us to teach our bird those things by example. That means showing them good foods and eating them in front of them and including them in our family meals. They do not learn what to eat by simply putting some food in a bowl in the cage and just expect them to try it or eat it. You may have to eat a few pellets or at least pretend to. :D

Feeding Our Parrots Well

Tips for Finicky Eaters

But he doesn't like it!

Try some of the ideas in these articles.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Eating is a social activity. Birds learn what to eat, how to eat it and where to find it from the rest of the flock. We are now that flock. So it's up to us to teach our bird those things by example. That means showing them good foods and eating them in front of them and including them in our family meals. They do not learn what to eat by simply putting some food in a bowl in the cage and just expect them to try it or eat it. You may have to eat a few pellets or at least pretend to. :D

Feeding Our Parrots Well

Tips for Finicky Eaters

But he doesn't like it!

Try some of the ideas in these articles.
Whatever you do, don't eat Zupreem FruitBlend Pellets, lol. I did that once, and trust me, they don't taste like they smell. :rofl:

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
If you can't get a high quality pellet food I'd just increase the amount of fresh foods. It's probably better with more fresh foods anyways. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.