• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need opinions! Lonely Diamond Dove?

Should I get Lovey Dove a friend?

• YES! He's probably lonely! He needs a dove-y friend.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • NO. You're probably overreacting. Give him more one-on-one time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
Hey everyone.

I was hoping for some opinions. I'll stick a poll up if I can figure out how...

Lovey Dove seems...sad, to me. I'm out a lot lately because I need to be in class, etc, and while CC doesn't seem to mind (actually, I think she sort of likes the peace and quiet) Dovey has been seeming a tad lonely. He calls a lot when I am home, and his voice seems hoarse. I wonder if he's calling and calling for us when we're not here? Maybe I'm just crazy, but I know doves are very affectionate. I have space in his cage for another dove and I doubt anyone would give me a hard time. The landlady probably wouldn't even notice, but I can ask for permission, since right now only two birds are officially in my lease.

Do you guys think this would be a good idea? Or should I just try and give him more love? Or am I overreacting? He's right next to CC and does like her, but she's a little territorial so I can't let him in her cage (he tries to get in all the time; sometimes she tolerates it, sometimes not).

Thanks in advance.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would wonder a few things first~ What if they do not get along? Is Lovey sexed, and would you get same sex or opposite? If opposite, are you prepared for eggs?

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
He is NOT sexed, which means I would need a confirmed female. Often male diamonds will fight with other male diamonds, and even though I'm not POSITIVE, they do have sexually dimorphic traits (like the size if the red ring around the eye).

The negative of eggs is definitely a major consideration. CC is/was an egg layer, so my Avian vet taught me how to feel her itty bitty abdomen to check if she is ready to lay, and to be sure she isn't hold an egg or egg bound. But I am not so sure a dove would let me poke around her body like that. I have never had VIABLE eggs, either, and I think having to boil them, etc (since I can't keep the chicks) would probably break my heart. I cry a lot anyway about the birds out of worry, etc and I think I might not be able to handle disposing of viable eggs; it would make me feel awful not to give the babies a chance.

That said, I'm really not sure what to do. I've considered giving him to someone with diamonds...I just don't want him to be lonely. But I love him and he has a safe, warm, loving home here, and I can't guarantee that elsewhere.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I voted he needs a friend. Birds like doves and finches, need same species pals. But will you be able to afford another bird's long term care?

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If you can't bring yourself to do what's necessary to keep eggs from hatching, then don't get another dove, because you'd only be bringing more lives into an existence that is most likely to be miserable. (I'm not talking about their existence with you - I'm talking about the likely fate of most doves.)

If you can, then yes, I think doves generally do much better with another dove.

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Separate cages, fake eggs, etc, really help too:)
I voted "yes" because I think it sounds like he is lonely..... I'm not sure about the egg issue. I, myself, will have similar problems when I get Marley a friend. However, I also know that I am not going to raise babies..................... so although it would be hard for me, I would not be likely to let eggs hatch. I have thought of letting Marley raise ONE baby and keeping it though. :rolleyes:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
Diamond Doves need the company of others. I suggest a male/female pair, they almost always get along. When she lays eggs, it will only be two at a time, replace them with fake and let her sit for 14 days and then remove them.

I LOVE my pair and have had diamonds for years......I even hand raised a baby that was repeatedly rejected. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do, but very rewarding!! That is when I started replacing eggs with fake ones...............no more babies for me! :D

I just reread your posts and just saw you are sensitive to disposing eggs. Well, another male is an option in another cage. The second cage could be a factor if you don't have the room. Keeping a female in another cage would just be teasing I think and not cure the lonliness.
Another option could be a finch friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.