• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need name suggestions!

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Hi all,
This is my first IRN (and first bird since I was a kid!). He is just over 3 months old and is a male violet grey. I am looking for some name suggestions for him because I cannot decide on anything to save my life lol.

Also - how long, in your experience, did it take for your bird to trust you/be comfortable with you? He isn't nippy at all and is content in his cage or on his perch but when either my husband or I go to pick him up or get him out of his cage, he tends to run away and then after he steps up he shakes like he is scared and seems extremely on edge. We've only had him for less than a week so I didn't expect it to happen immediately, just curious if there is a timeline or if I can do anything for him to make him more comfortable with us?

Thanks!

1622825678712.png 1622825705465.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful! I'm bad at names, but Henry, Dexter, Morgan, Ares, Thor, Jasper?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Grey . . . Ring . . . Gandalf? (Too geeky? Sorry, all I got goes downhill from there ;) )

Timeline? Better advice is likely coming, but it all depends on the bird.

I'd caution fretting too much about it -- they do pick up on our unease and are GREAT at echoing it back :facepalm:

What's worked for us (admittedly, limited experience) -- Hang out and be chill when he's winding down for the night. You're relaxed, he's relaxed, and now your presence gets attached to that clam time at the end of the day. Once he loses the unsettled feelings about your presence, then you've got inroads to playtime and training.

. . . and Michelle is right, he's a beauty. You've got a lot of time ahead of you -- no need to rush it :)

mfrahm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariah
Grey . . . Ring . . . Gandalf? (Too geeky? Sorry, all I got goes downhill from there ;) )

Timeline? Better advice is likely coming, but it all depends on the bird.

I'd caution fretting too much about it -- they do pick up on our unease and are GREAT at echoing it back :facepalm:

What's worked for us (admittedly, limited experience) -- Hang out and be chill when he's winding down for the night. You're relaxed, he's relaxed, and now your presence gets attached to that clam time at the end of the day. Once he loses the unsettled feelings about your presence, then you've got inroads to playtime and training.

. . . and Michelle is right, he's a beauty. You've got a lot of time ahead of you -- no need to rush it :)
The geekier the name the better! My husband suggested Gandalf and I suggested Dorian for Mr. Dorian Grey.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Ash, Porter, Merle, Brody, Felix, Gatsby, or Flynn. Although I do love the idea of Dorian!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the photo your pretty bird looks like a beautiful silver color. Makes me think of the Lone Ranger whose horse was named Silver so I choose the name Ranger. Do you like it?

As far as the trust question that is up to the bird. Trusting a human is something that slowly your earn by doing things with him that promote comfort and companionship. Example find a picture children's book and read to him in such a way that he can be close enough to see the pictures. Do this at least once or twice every day, even if you think he is not paying attention.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Grey Wind
Widget
Wickett
Higgins
Callisto
Quark
Orion
Nostromo
:D

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can go ultimate geek and call him Mithrandir which is Gandalf's sindarin name :lol:

But yeah, Gandalf or Dorian are both adorable. Or maybe Oscar, as in Oscar Wilde, the author of The Picture of Dorian Grey?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe this list will help;

Feel free to add to it :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road