• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need more info about lovebirds

deshud

Walking the driveway
I haven't really researched lovebirds. I am starting to get one bird to "foster" and possible rehome, hopefully to a senior. I would like to choose a bird that really needs a good home. I found on kiji a lovebird that is plucking and "semi tame". She's listing her for one hundred dollars, which is quite expensive, considering you can buy a baby lovebird locally for 125.00. So, I am assuming she'll have problems rehoming her. Sounds like she needs a good home. The problem is, I don't know anything about lovebirds, I researched many types of birds, but never looked into lovebirds. I read the good, bad and ugly about lovebirds. I was wondering, why are there so many lovebirds to be rehomed? There are so many lovebirds for sale on kiji. I read they can be loud, which is okay, unless they have a high pitch. My brownhead needed to be rehomed because of her high pitch chirp ( hurt dogs ears) Normal chirping, screeching is okay as long as the pitch isn't high. Because of her plucking, I know I have to get her vet checked, I have budgeted for that, and she will be quarantined. I guess, what I am asking is, will this bird be a good foster bird? I know it may take months, maybe longer, I am prepared for that, as long as my dog's ears can take it. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Debbie

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I had 2 lovebirds as part of my flock which included a sun conure, Quakers, tiels and greencheeks. Marco & Polo were rehomed partly because Polo wanted to be a Quaker when he grew up (and was placing himself in danger by trying to follow around one of the Quaker boys) and poor Marco was following Polo around and peeping all the time (those were the basic problems). I was lucky and found a very nice lady who loves them both in a home that has no other birds; Julie takes Marco & Polo to visit her mom's lovie and they're doing very well. Long story short, after Marco & Polo moved to Julie's home, hubby remarked on how quiet the bird room had become since they'd left.

I'd suggest visiting YouTube and listening to some lovebird videos for an idea of the peeping. :angelic: :angelic:

deshud

Walking the driveway
I had 2 lovebirds as part of my flock which included a sun conure, Quakers, tiels and greencheeks. Marco & Polo were rehomed partly because Polo wanted to be a Quaker when he grew up (and was placing himself in danger by trying to follow around one of the Quaker boys) and poor Marco was following Polo around and peeping all the time (those were the basic problems). I was lucky and found a very nice lady who loves them both in a home that has no other birds; Julie takes Marco & Polo to visit her mom's lovie and they're doing very well. Long story short, after Marco & Polo moved to Julie's home, hubby remarked on how quiet the bird room had become since they'd left.

I'd suggest visiting YouTube and listening to some lovebird videos for an idea of the peeping. :angelic: :angelic:
Good idea, thanx

deshud

Walking the driveway
The more I think about it, I think I am going to get the lovebird. I feel very sorry for him. He's plucking, and sounds like he needs a good home. I'm just thinking about the vet costs ( because of the plucking I would need to get him tested), and the attention he's going to need. I just feel in my heart I need to get him. I wish I can have more time researching lovebirds, but I know who I can ask if I have any questions. I am sure all of you will give me help if I asked. I'm going in blind with lovebirds, but I did the same with my kaks. I'm learning on the fly, and they're still all alive. LOL.

Debbie

ddy13

Walking the driveway
I started out with one abused love bird that had a cage partner he de- feathered . He is now a sweet heart except for fingers, long story. I did pay 150 came with horrible cage. I just spoiled him with fresh water all day, good food vegetables and a bath at times. One day he just flew to me and let out a loud noise for a moment thought he laid an egg he was so happy.

They can be loud when they want something, the loud is usually from the younger ones or the ones looking for a mate. They also get worked up if they see other birds fly by the window. They get mad fip dishes , put debris in their water all to say change it or I want a bath. I would suggest using a tie to lock the doors when you are away, they are good at getting out, just glad I did not have the ceiling fan on. Just act normal around them and they will ajust to the routine, right now trying to get the new kids to go back in the cage at night, takes less time now, all the others all ready know the drill.

All 11 of them like going out in the car or getting out in my place to just run around take baths. Doing the same thing over and over works add understand they are birds and will act that way. When they do something you like say good bird and bounce your head in approval they will say no by shaking their head or turn their back to you. They are Love birds that need to be taught love and shown love. :hug8: