• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need information about my lovebird

Buamna

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone
Its been a week since I bought a lovebird I will post his/her pictures bellow I would like to know his/her gender and how old is he/she.

And I would like to know how many times or for how long I have to keep him/her outside the cage because every time when I want to put her/him inside the cage she/he refuses to enter then I force her/him by grabbing him/her from behind and I think that's the reason he/she doesn't come on my hand sometimes when I try to take her because first two days she was fine

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Your lovie is really pretty. Birds should have out of the cage time every day at least for 2 hours a day. I know it's tough when your bird doesn't want to go back in but I wouldn't grab him/her unless it was an emergency. I actually just posted about this on another thread. I think grabbing a bird ruins trust and makes a bird fearful. So you should allocate enough time to try to get him to go back in. Are there any foods that he really likes- like millet spray or a nutriberry? Food bribery can be a good way to get a bird to go back in. Will he step up on a perch? Sometimes a bird will step up on something other than a hand easier to go back in. I will also tag some of our lovie people.

@Zara ? @fluffypoptarts ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

I would like to know his/her gender and how old is he/she.
Your bird is adult. So at least 9 months. Unfortunately that is the best we can do for age. Did the person you bought them from not tell you anything?

Gender can´t be known by looking, you will need to take the bird to a vet for a dna test.
It is recommended to take all new birds to the vet for a check up anyway to be sure they´re healthy.
While you are there, get their nails clipped as they are very long.
If you made an appointment to deal with all three things at once it should save you a little on multiple consult fees :)

As for returning to the cage, Sunnysmom left good advice. Coupled with that, don´t give any treats out of the cage for a good half hour before hand.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2: I really like your lovebird's colouring. I haven't seen that green-yellow mottling before.

Buamna

Checking out the neighborhood
I would like to thank everyone for the valuable information and the compliments about my bird I really appreciate it