• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need ideas for Chaos's sharp nails

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I need some non-invasive ideas to dull super sharp nails on Chaos.
I've been thinking about those rock platforms, anyone have one? Do they dull nails?
Chaos has such sharp nails that they are piercing my arm, even through a blanket.
Not long, just super sharp.

I have a good relationship with him now, it took a few years to get there.
He'll even allow a bit of towel play, where a year ago just seeing one put him in attack mode.

I do not want any holding/binding of any kind. He holds a grudge for a long time. :(
I do not want the trust we've regained ruined.

I'll go to a vet if I must, but even that will change our relationship as he'll trustingly go in his carrier.
Any of you with difficult birds, are there any ways you've found to naturally wear down the tips?
I'm hoping to try some natural methods before going the hard way.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a pet nail clipper that I place near our guys favorite play spot and they it see every day and after they got used to seeing it actually have some fun play with treat so they like the clipper. After they were ok with the clipper I sit them on my knee and play a bit and see how many nails they let me clip! ;) It has worked for my flock without fear.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean, my boys are chicken nuggets compared to your Chaos, but I have gotten two pumice perches recently. Their nails, though tiny by comparison, were getting very, very sharp. So far, it seems to have dulled the tips so that it's not painful when they land on my hand. These perches are smooth on the top and bottom, but rough on the sides.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does Chaos hang on his cage's bars? If so, you could try using a human nail file on the tips that hang out of the cage while feeding him a nut.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I need some non-invasive ideas to dull super sharp nails on Chaos.
I've been thinking about those rock platforms, anyone have one? Do they dull nails?
Chaos has such sharp nails that they are piercing my arm, even through a blanket.
Not long, just super sharp.

I have a good relationship with him now, it took a few years to get there.
He'll even allow a bit of towel play, where a year ago just seeing one put him in attack mode.

I do not want any holding/binding of any kind. He holds a grudge for a long time. :(
I do not want the trust we've regained ruined.

I'll go to a vet if I must, but even that will change our relationship as he'll trustingly go in his carrier.
Any of you with difficult birds, are there any ways you've found to naturally wear down the tips?
I'm hoping to try some natural methods before going the hard way.
This is the very reason I use that big sandpapered T stick. Standing on these other things would work if the bird moved but they don't. When Tika rides that stick I make sure the ride is not that smooth. Lots of swooping, up and down, little jerks. He has to grip that perch pretty hard to stay on. The perch is big enough that he can not "grip" it with his feet. He has to use his nails to grip. He is his own dremel. Haven't filed his nails in 10 years.

IMG_2181.jpg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Safety pumice perch

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have three different perches with the rough parts on them- Sweet beaks and feet safety pumice perch (2 different ones- 1 plastic and one cement) and the window/shower perch I got from Sarah. They all keep his nails blunted nicely.
I have these two 095B307B-C69A-45FB-9748-25AAAD1C89C5.png 238CEBE1-D529-4856-B2F2-74B3B3B961AF.png

I will say that if you choose to get the cement safety pumice perch just double check its sizing (the one pictured above is perfect, the new size I dont like) - they seemed to have changed them from a perfect size for macaws to something that I was not comfortable using for Burt. Here’s pics for size comparison... 5D5125CF-FB98-4E56-8ED6-C36B1E29EDF0.png 24A13B3D-B5CA-4740-A93E-4B7C42D13270.png

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hahaha I just noticed I got the name wrong but I am sure you know who I mean lol.

I am not keen on the newer cement perch (I am guessing they changed manufacturers or something similar) at all as it still had really rough parts where the feet should have smooth and the smooth was not nearly wide enough for Macaw feet - I got a refund after the store checked my photos and purchase history to see that those two cement perches were supposed to be the exact same product and size...... I can't and won't recommend the newer produced cement pumice perch but the plastic one is fine. If I happen to find a store here in Aus who still has the old stock of the cement pumice perch then I will buy as many as I can- the older one is great.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
The sandpaper perch and pumice perches, are the way to go I think.
I also need to research that sandpaper chair, that also sounds like it might be helpful.

For those suggesting filing on my lap, or while on his cage, that just doesn't end well. :(
At least not without blood and screaming.
Chaos is still unpredictable to a certain extent. He is predictable in that he strikes out if uncertain or stressed.
He can and will raise his aggression to such a level that he's dangerous.
And he then watches me to see if I'm going to make the same mistake again.
I do not want to go back to that state.

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a wimp, but fighting with him isn't worth it in the long run.
We are now in an easy going, companionable state and I like it.
I've had too many years of walking around with pillow armor, I want to keep them retired. ;)

I've got some very good ideas form you guys, I truly appreciate it.

@JLcribber & @Shezbug, what is the diameter/circumference of the perches that work best for you?
For the pumice, is concrete or plastic better, and which shape is best?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
P.S. If anyone has a link to a good perch, post if for me please.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I've seen these in person and I liked them.

These are the ones they are recommending.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If he'll use the flagstone perch, yes, I've had great luck with them for my smaller birds. Jingo (quaker) almost never needs a trim because of them!

Ripley doesn't so of course his nails get long and needle sharp. I like the brick idea and might look into a paver to put in his playstand (where he spends most of his time) as the bricks worked great for the rats!

I don't think you're a wimp BTW. Don't rock the boat if you can find a way around it! :hug8:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don’t think you can pick a shape, I am pretty sure it’s just the size which would be the largest size they have for Chaos.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The sandpaper perch and pumice perches, are the way to go I think.
I also need to research that sandpaper chair, that also sounds like it might be helpful.

For those suggesting filing on my lap, or while on his cage, that just doesn't end well. :(
At least not without blood and screaming.
Chaos is still unpredictable to a certain extent. He is predictable in that he strikes out if uncertain or stressed.
He can and will raise his aggression to such a level that he's dangerous.
And he then watches me to see if I'm going to make the same mistake again.
I do not want to go back to that state.

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a wimp, but fighting with him isn't worth it in the long run.
We are now in an easy going, companionable state and I like it.
I've had too many years of walking around with pillow armor, I want to keep them retired. ;)

I've got some very good ideas form you guys, I truly appreciate it.

@JLcribber & @Shezbug, what is the diameter/circumference of the perches that work best for you?
For the pumice, is concrete or plastic better, and which shape is best?
Absolutely the biggest diameter you can find. If they can wrap their feet around the perch they will just sit on their feet. The nails may not even touch the perch. If it's a very large diameter it almost acts like a flat surface in that when they sit on it the tips of those nails will be on that surface.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
And Chaos has some big feet!
I've just ordered the 2 perches that Sarah showed. Both in Xlarge.
May also try and find a way to sandpaper an old wooden chair back that Chaos likes to sit on.

I've been dealing with puncture marks for months!
Should have asked sooner. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
For anyone who uses the pumice perches for their macaws, is the plastic hanger sturdy?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
For anyone who uses the pumice perches for their macaws, is the plastic hanger sturdy?
The ones on the Safety perches are a heavy hanger bolt and will hold up well. I can't recall what the manzanita perch had for a fastener under that plastic screw piece. If Becky ordered one and shows me a picture of the bolt I can tell you how long it will hold and if that plastic piece is replaceable if chewed. :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I ordered from Sweetfeetandbeak.com, not Amazon. Amazon is taking sooo long these days.
We'll see how they do for shipping time.
I'll post a photo once I get them.

Last edited: