• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEED HELP

sky&cloud

Moving in
Real Name
Trishna
previously on march i got my first pet bird, two budgies. one white female and one blue male both were told by the vendor to be around 6-8 months old.it has been 6 months still unable to tame them. I tried to separate them to tame but they got very sad they were so concerned on where the other one as and could not concentrate. I tried feeding them millets but they only ate it if my and was relatively far away. I often feed them with fruits etc but they aren't too interested in them. recently i bought a basil plant and placed it near their cage. they started to eat the leaves of the plant. I noticed this so occasionally i would pluck a leaf and feed them. hold it with my finger and they nibble on it for awhile but then they realise my hand and fly away.They don't eat it if its on my palm. have tried everything but it wont work. it has been 6 months. I really want them to be tamed .PLS HELP!!!

ps.they cage is filled with toys and they don't get bored and they are healthy. When i let them out, they cant stressed especially due to their clipped wings that still haven't grown fully.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Trishna :)

Try feeding millet spray through the cage bars while they are in the cage. This will be easier than trying to do it out of the cage.

Perhaps this will be helpful for you;

Spyglass29

Strolling the yard
I think you should try target training. It’s a great way of getting a budgie (or any bird for that matter) uses to you and your hand without actually having to get too close. And it’s also useful for getting the bird into a carrier, back into the cage, etc.
Also don’t give up! Budgies can be hard to tame sometimes :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Like others have said here, 6 months may seem like a long time to you, but it's a very short time to birds. They just don't trust easily. It took me a lonnnng time to get mine to step on my finger to eat millet. (And that is still all they do after five years!) I am not concerned really, the only thing I don't like is the fact that I can't get them in a travel cage by luring them, or by my finger... so we stay home! ;)

sky&cloud

Moving in
Real Name
Trishna
Welcome to the Avenue Trishna :)

Try feeding millet spray through the cage bars while they are in the cage. This will be easier than trying to do it out of the cage.

Perhaps this will be helpful for you;
Thank you! i will definitely try that out!

sky&cloud

Moving in
Real Name
Trishna
I think you should try target training. It’s a great way of getting a budgie (or any bird for that matter) uses to you and your hand without actually having to get too close. And it’s also useful for getting the bird into a carrier, back into the cage, etc.
Also don’t give up! Budgies can be hard to tame sometimes :)
oooo I have heard of that i will definitely try to search up on how to do so succesfully.

sky&cloud

Moving in
Real Name
Trishna
Like others have said here, 6 months may seem like a long time to you, but it's a very short time to birds. They just don't trust easily. It took me a lonnnng time to get mine to step on my finger to eat millet. (And that is still all they do after five years!) I am not concerned really, the only thing I don't like is the fact that I can't get them in a travel cage by luring them, or by my finger... so we stay home! ;)
oh im glad that it is not just my birds. i have always been concerned that i am doing something wrong

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
oh im glad that it is not just my birds. i have always been concerned that i am doing something wrong
Oh no - it's a 'thing' with budgies especially that they are super timid! And scared to death of hands. One thing is to make all your movements around them super slow, and that makes them feel a bit better. You're not supposed to look them in the eye either, because it makes them think you're a predator. I honestly never paid much attention to the eye thing because I didn't believe it, but I do think it makes sense in a way. Type 'training' or 'taming budgies' in the search bar here at the avenue and you will find lots of info! Keep posting their progress, and good luck! :excited2:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
ps.they cage is filled with toys and they don't get bored and they are healthy. When i let them out, they cant stressed especially due to their clipped wings that still haven't grown fully.
I meant to say - when their flight feathers grow back it may do a lot for their confidence level. Mine make their laps around the living room like they are superheroes or something LOL!
Just make sure that the room is bird-proof with no dangers, and either cover the windows or put stickers, or hanging things over them so they don't think they can fly through those windows, since they are see-through!

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Definitely not just you! Every budgie I've had is super skittish. Sometimes they regress too. I just lost a budgie and the remaining one is now too scared to fly very far from the cage alone. Even when I take him, I can tell he's nervous. Don't give up, it will just happen one day and you'll be sooooo proud of them and yourself.

sky&cloud

Moving in
Real Name
Trishna
update!!! the male budgies climbed on by hand when I was feeding him. However yesterday when I tried to do so he was very scared of me.But now I
Oh no - it's a 'thing' with budgies especially that they are super timid! And scared to death of hands. One thing is to make all your movements around them super slow, and that makes them feel a bit better. You're not supposed to look them in the eye either, because it makes them think you're a predator. I honestly never paid much attention to the eye thing because I didn't believe it, but I do think it makes sense in a way. Type 'training' or 'taming budgies' in the search bar here at the avenue and you will find lots of info! Keep posting their progress, and good luck! :excited2:
got some hope in him and i think that he will be able to not be scared of me anymore very soon