• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help!!

Bizzy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bizzy Bender
We rescued a goffin cockatoo about 6 weeks ago and we were told that she doesn’t like women. I seemed to be making some headway, she was letting me pet her head and neck but would occasionally turn and bite me. I would give her treats if we had a positive interaction and I honestly thought we were making progress. She doesn’t do this with my husband.
In the past couple of weeks she has gotten more and more aggressive with me, lunging at me and my hand, or just straight up screaming at me with her feathers all spread out.
I really want to bond with her but I am afraid it may be hopeless, this is the reason she was rehired from her last family
Anyone have any solutions?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I would slow down. The biting/attacks is her language to you saying back off. It may be confusing as to why you keep attempting to bond when she feels her signals are quite clear. Maybe just give treats anytime you pass by, talk sweetly to her, etc. Some parrots take a very long time to settle into a new home.
I’m not a too expert, but I have experienced a lot of traumatized macaw behaviors. I’ve found just having no expectations on them and taking things extremely slow helps.
That said, sometimes they just do pick a favorite person. My severe macaw Ethel tolerates me but loves my husband. He can scratch her all day long and get googly eyes, I can scratch her for ten seconds and then she’s off to more fun activities lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is she? Is your husband around when she does this?