• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help

jughed63

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mike
I just got a umbrella cock atoo hes 26 yrs old when we went to look at him and to check him out, he was wonderfull. Got him home and now he chases my children and my girl friend around trying to bite and attack them, he has bonded to me instantly. I dont want to send him back to his previous home but i also cant keep him in our home if hes going to hurt my my children and my girl friend. Please help .,..

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the Avenue! Our too experts will be around soon to help :)

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Welcome to the forum and to the world of CockaCrazy.
My Z was and still is like this. When he decides to do a Too-attack you need to instantly put him in “time-out”
What really helped us in our situation was I had to “distance” myself from Z. So my husband and daughter are the ones that feed, water and give him treats. He is rewarded with “me” time when he behaves
My husband had to carry a “T-stick around the house at first because z would go after and attack him. Once he got the idea that attacking other family members meant he had to go back in his cage he became less hesitant to attack. He still has moments of aggression and he will always be a very aggressive guy. He has a warning on his cage that he is an attack bird. But setting boundaries and realistic expectations will take time and a lot of patience by your entire family.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Please don't accept this behavior as par for the course of owning a Cockatoo. We have a 30 year old U2, and two small children. Chipper isn't fond of them or my husband. He is NOT allowed on the floor. When he is on his playstand, he gets treats, toys, praise, attention. If he ventures to the floor, I do not talk to him, act stone cold, and ask him to step up. Then he goes back to the playstand. This is called station training and it is Essential. Your bird will destroy your house and be very dangerous on the floor.
Your (older) kids and girlfriend can have a working relationship with him through target training. When he touches the chopstick with his beak, he gets a treat. It's a way for them to build trust without having to touch. My three year old target trains Chipper every day, and I hand him the treat.
Please read everything you can get your hands on. We're working with a behaviorist as well, and it's so helpful. Remember... No floor time, no cuddling, no petting down the back, under the wings, no nesting behavior inside boxes, etc. Post every question you can think of, there is a wealth of knowledge here and you owe it to your bird to educate yourself and give him a proper life!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Toos can get overly excited easily. Your children may make him too excited. Also he's probably still learning his place in the household and feeling protective of you. You may have to limit contact for awhile with others. My too will bite my fiance when he gets excited. So I remove him when I see him getting excited. A t stick and target training may help.