• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
neighbor stopped by asked if i could come to their house(they are from Peru and hard for me to understand said bird is breathing funny...go to house Double yellow head Amazon has had 20 yrs...nice people ...ok bird is breathing tru mouth sounds like nose is plugged..is perching said it ate yesterday but not much today She had put cough syrup in its water took it out keel bone is thin i flushed his sinus it was very plugged had a hard time getting water to go tru at first nose looked clear when i looked with flash light did not see anything in throat after fluch did see some stuff it sneezed out put also could see some still in there told them bird was very sick they begged me to take it home to see if i could help it...my vet is gone till mon and reese is not ava tonight..made up a hosp cage and put blanket around it to steam him he is stressed right now what else can i do for him besides flushing sinus an steaming him

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i can in the morning

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i can go to reese vet clinic

Kayaker

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
George
you could try a drop or two of liquid decongestant or childrens liquid ibropren. that is what my vet told me to use on my scarlet macaw when I first got him home because he to had a bad cold/ allergy
Good luck

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I think you have it really. My vet isnt available til the morning either so I am no help to you :(

I hope he lives, poor baby. I do not see anything else that can be done. Will he take any hand feedings at all? Oatmeal ?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have any Baytril on hand that you can give him and then replace when you get to the vets? Also I would hand feed with formula with a tiny bit of corn syrup or honey in the mix to keep his blood sugar level up. Warmth and perches low, pedylite by syringe for fluids.

Ginger

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Steam and sinus flushes are good. What are you using to flush? Next would be the hospital cage with heat and keep the bird hydrated with 50/50 pedialyte and water. Your vet will take a look at the debris and determine if antibiotics are warranted.

Once the blockage is clear the bird should breathe better.

gary

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Calling a Vet Tech friend...will call you if I have any answers

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
still very labored..got ahold of dr mac..called in some cipiril till i can get to vets..keeping cage at 85 vet says it could be secondary problems for bad diet if he hasent been eating he will need feedings fluids and may need breathing treatments along with antibotics this bird is VERY bad i do not think they will pay a vet this is very sad

amazonlove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
CARRIE
tanya is there anything i can do or bring you?....i can bring out those pickers if you need.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Oh no Tanya...I wish I could do somethng...be we use the same Vet. :(
I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the poor guy.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Awww I think you are doing all you can. Poor baby, I hope the owners just pay for the vet or give him to you :( I hope he makes it....ugh that is really really sucky. Sending healing energy!:hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
So what does this mean, no vet treatment because they won't pay?

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
no, just till i can get to a vet tomorrow im trying to do what i can i did find some Batril vet broke down dose for me..gave him that...and pedilite and some karo syrup keeping him warm his breathing is sounding better right now still labored but no weazing

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Tanya,

Do the best you can by giving the antibiotics, nasal flushes, steam, heat, fluids and extra formula. You care is just as good as the vets.

Please keep us posted.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.