• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with young budgie :(

maki

Checking out the neighborhood
My recently found a young budgie outside at our neighbourhood a day ago. We're assuming its been taken care of by someone else before because it went to my dad when he reached his hands out. As we had no cages to house it in and neither could we get one because it was already late at night, we placed it in a cardboard box with some water and food, and covered it with another piece of cardboard with a slight gap to allow air flow. The next morning it was trying to get out, flying against the cover to try and escape. We had to put it back in a couple of times before we let it out to do its own thing. It was active and it flew around a lot, exploring the house. When we got the cage, however, it ate a lot and started sleeping a lot. We assumed it was probably tired and shocked from being out in the wild for who knows how long, and what it experienced in our house before we got the cage. As I'm writing this it's been more than 24 hours since it started sleeping. It wakes up occasionally to preen its feathers and to eat and drink a little before going back to sleep. So far we've fed it some millets. It also tends to prefer sleeping at the bottom of the cage, and it has droppings stuck to its bottom. Its droppings are white, sometimes with dark green parts (when they are not stuck to its bottom). I'm very worried and I'm not sure what to do. I have plans to bring it a vet as soon as I make arrangements.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, welcome to the Avenue Maki :)

Sounds like the little one is exhausted from their outdoor adventure and in need of some good rest.

The green in the poop could be from seed diet.

Be sure to list the found bird on www.parrotalert.com
Let all local vets know you found the bird
You can post in facebook local goups, pet groups, lot found groups for your area - but don´t post pictures there, just a simple vague description and let the people tell you what the bird looks like and show photos as proof of ownership.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Send info to shelters too, including cat-dog ones. :)