• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with step up

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
I got a 3 month old pineapple green cheek conure a little over 2 weeks ago. The breeder said that he understood 70 pourcent of the time the command. He doesn't respond to me so I started from zero. I can now easily lure him on my hand. The problem is once he finishes the treat he will start walking up and down my hand and arm and bite my fingers if I don't give him an other teat. I am also using a glove on the hand he should step up on since I would love to keep my fingers. I am not making more progress from here on. Any suggestions on what I should do...

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would stop with the glove it could teach him to bite harder.
Teach him to step up on a perch first in his cage if needed dont lure him with a treat offer the perch give the command if he steps up offer the treat.
Be patient with him and just spend time with him gaining his trust dont overdo things.
He might just not like hands i have had my yellowside over 3 months will step up on a perch,onto my arm will sit on my shoulder my legs but wont go near my hand.
One day she might

Last edited:

ZY28

Strolling the yard
I would stop with the glove it could teach him to bite harder.
Teach him to step up on a perch first in his cage if needed dont lure him with a treat offer the perch give the command if he steps up offer the treat.
Be patient with him and just spend time with him gaining his trust dont overdo things.
He might just not like hands i have had my yellowside over 3 months will step up on a perch,onto my arm will sit on my shoulder my legs but wont go near my hand.
One day she might
Thought about that but he is more willing to step up on the glove than the perch... I actually went to try it he stepped up on the glove without lurering, to bite the glove...when I put a perch infront of him he starts destroying it. He does like cuddles which makes me think that hating hand probably is not the problem. He seems to not be scared of me either... He will fly to the side of the cage where I am at. Do I keep going with the perch or an other solution will be better....

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Yes as @Wardy said get rid of the glove! Try holding the perch in front of him and a treat just behind the perch out of reach to see if he will step on the perch to get the treat. If he steps on the perch treat immediately saying GOOD Step UP very enthusiastically. Lots and lots of praise for stepping up. If he bites put him down immediately and step away. Take a break and try again. Be patient and give it time, it can take a lot of time.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Yes as @Wardy said get rid of the glove! Try holding the perch in front of him and a treat just behind the perch out of reach to see if he will step on the perch to get the treat. If he steps on the perch treat immediately saying GOOD Step UP very enthusiastically. Lots and lots of praise for stepping up. If he bites put him down immediately and step away. Take a break and try again. Be patient and give it time, it can take a lot of time.
I'll try that but do I just ignore if he bites the perch before stepping up? And when I put him down do I just put the perch down and leave, because when he starts biting he will not get of anything

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try that but do I just ignore if he bites the perch before stepping up? And when I put him down do I just put the perch down and leave, because when he starts biting he will not get of anything
If he bites the perch i would possibly stop the step.up training and do some target training for a while that will teach him not to bite the perch.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Try to ignore the bites. Try not to make any noise or react when he bites. If you react that is fun and you are giving attention to the biting. If you have an open space like a table I would put the whole perch and him down when he bites. Stop for a while between. Target training like @Wardy suggest is a really great way to work on training. We have a clicker training series here that can get you started with that.

Clicker Training Classroom

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Try to ignore the bites. Try not to make any noise or react when he bites. If you react that is fun and you are giving attention to the biting. If you have an open space like a table I would put the whole perch and him down when he bites. Stop for a while between. Target training like @Wardy suggest is a really great way to work on training. We have a clicker training series here that can get you started with that.

Clicker Training Classroom
If he bites the perch i would possibly stop the step.up training and do some target training for a while that will teach him not to bite the perch.
I forgot to mention, I trained him to target. He's pretty good at it. I though him to spin using that . Thanks for all the help I'll try and see how it goes!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
I'm back... So I tried the technique but he just keep biting be perch when I put it infront of him and say the command. Do I just give it time??? I'm scares that putting the perch away is giving him what he wants....

Last edited:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target with the perch when target training with it he shouldnt be biting the perch but should just be going where directed.
Dont reward when target training if he bites the perch and have some patience you only posted your question yesterday and have only had the bird two weeks.
My yellow side wont step up after 3 months but i dont put her under preassure if she does she does.
It took me a month before my pineapple would step up.
Dont flood the bird with to much training a couple of small sessions throughout the day will work best.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Don't mind the post I posted on top . I kept trying the technique and it's working quite well. Thank's for the technique, you guys rock !