• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with seedmix plz

❤ HIɊᗰᗩ ❤

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hiqma
Can anyone help me figure out how to make my own GREEN CHEEK conure seed mix. ( he’s 4.5 months ♥) As in what ratios. I’ve decided on the following seeds:
Millets of different colours
Buckwheat
Paddy
Safflower
Hemp seed( should I use the large or small ones?)
Pumpkinseed
Sunflower seed( but I rather not put it in the mix, just treats )

Is there something I really must have in the seed mix ? I have access to the above at the moment. We’re in lockdown and struggling to get supplies.

Ps: my GCC eat veggies, sprouts and fruits twice a day and seeds as a supplementary food. I don’t have pallets here so I rely on veggies for nutrition.
Thanks

Attachments

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You absolutely cannot get pellets shipped in? Green Cheeks are so prone to obesity and all the health issues that come with that... I simply don’t want to make a recommendation for a seed mix because any seeds, fed in moderation (over 10% of the diet) can lead to health problems. Many avian vets put these guys on the same par as Amazons, with seeds and fruit not exceeding 10% of the daily diet due to the fat and sugar.

If you’re okay telling your location, we have members from all over the world here that know what pellet companies and where they ship.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would just continue using veggies as the main source of food; you can sprout seeds too (not flax or chia usually though as they need a different process). I would not feed a bunch of seeds except as a treat like mentioned above. I think the seeds you've chosen are good!

❤ HIɊᗰᗩ ❤

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hiqma
You absolutely cannot get pellets shipped in? Green Cheeks are so prone to obesity and all the health issues that come with that... I simply don’t want to make a recommendation for a seed mix because any seeds, fed in moderation (over 10% of the diet) can lead to health problems. Many avian vets put these guys on the same par as Amazons, with seeds and fruit not exceeding 10% of the daily diet due to the fat and sugar.

If you’re okay telling your location, we have members from all over the world here that know what pellet companies and where they ship.
Thanks for the reply . Im from Bangladesh. Any pellets found are in seed mixes...and since my baby has a predominantly veggie diet I don’t buy such seed mixes, and they are out of stock anyway ...shipping would be wayyy to expensive tbh.. I rather stick to freshly cut veggies twice a day.. I only give like a teaspoon of seedmix ..

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use pretty much all on your list except pumpkin and sunflower for their foraging treat.

I use unhulled hemp (the crunch mimics sunflower)
and also add dry Quinoa.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
I use pretty much all on your list except pumpkin and sunflower for their foraging treat.

I use unhulled hemp (the crunch mimics sunflower)
and also add dry Quinoa.
I didn't know you could feed dry quinoa ! learn something new everyday lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Sounds like you're on the right track! I'd do mainly the veggies with sprouts and then smaller amounts of nuts, seeds and fruits. Variety is the key! I follow an awesome page on Facebook called Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition where the focus is on feeding only raw whole foods. You may get some useful info from them. Dr. Crean has been feeding his birds this way for many years and consults for Zoo's who want to do the same.