• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help with plucking

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I've never posted but have stalked this site for a while.
Yesterday, I somehow ended up with a Gold-Capped Conure who is most likely going to be named Maccha. He's almost completely plucked, with only feathers on his head and a tiny bit on his wings. It doesn't make him any less adorable.
I don't know what to do? Hopefully someone can help me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome! It would help to have some history of the bird and a picture.

clicketty

Real Name
Ashlyn
Welcome to the forum!
I don't have any experience with birds who pluck so I would like for a more knowledge person to help me out here, but I know that there are some remedies like special lotions that claim to work. The one I am thinking of now is from Kings Cages right here. Again, I have no experience so wait until theres a second opinion on these treatments :)
I have also seen some plucked birdies wearing little handmade sweaters. I believe they serve the dual purpose of preventing plucking and keeping the bird warm is its a little chilly :)
Good luck!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First order of business is to take him to a vet right away to determine whether the plucking is behavioural or medical. Have the vet do the usual tests (CBC, chem panel, major viral diseases). Maybe someone here more experienced with plucking could suggest some more tests? I think I might do a heavy metal test too, I hear heavy metal poisoning can sometimes cause plucking?

Once you rule out any medical issues, then you start thinking about things like plucking collars, etc.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agreed... rule out medical causes to plucking......

Then next thing...... big cage, lots of toys, lots of foraging opportunities, bathes, enrichment, new behaviors, great diet, etc!

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I've just got back from the vet. She said that it's most likely medical related. She's determined that he has some bacteria and inflammation throughout his skin, that it's caused by an infection. She's taken blood and checked for mites and etc. Thankfully he's mite/lice free. Just waiting on the blood test results, which should be available early next week.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Hopefully he'll be alright.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Maccha into your home. Depending on the results from the lab work you might want to consider adding Nekton Bio to his water. Check with vet regarding this once you find out the results. The Nekton Bio can help with feathering and I have used it successfully with one of my birds who plucked but not so much success with another, although I haven't been consistent with giving it to her.
http://www.amazon.com/Nekton-Bio-for-Bird-Feathering-150gm/dp/B0002DIM4G

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm just reading up on plucking myself, but I've heard that the Tea4Beaks blends have provided relief for pluckers. Especially the Skin & Feather Tonic and the Feather Spa. D-T4B81045 TEA4BEAKS Skin & Feather Tonic 2 oz - TEA4BEAKS
D-T4B81054 TEA4BEAKS Feather Spa 2 oz - TEA4BEAKS
Oh thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely be reading up on this, and most likely be making a purchase.

Thank you for taking Maccha into your home. Depending on the results from the lab work you might want to consider adding Nekton Bio to his water. Check with vet regarding this once you find out the results. The Nekton Bio can help with feathering and I have used it successfully with one of my birds who plucked but not so much success with another, although I haven't been consistent with giving it to her.
Amazon.com : Nekton-Bio for Bird Feathering, 150gm : Pet Supplements And Vitamins : Pet Supplies
Thank you :)
His lab results came back yesterday and besides a calcium deficiency and infection he's in good health.
I'll definitely be bringing this up with the vet. Thank you for the recommendation!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
what has the vet given you for the bacteria/skin inflammation?

Pentameter

Real Name
Lucy
Make sure to complete the full course of antibiotics! Hopefully the infections will clear everything up.

mochiballs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
what has the vet given you for the bacteria/skin inflammation?
The antibiotic Trimethophim Sulfa

Make sure to complete the full course of antibiotics! Hopefully the infections will clear everything up.
Oh I will. The doctor has just given us another 7 days because he's been really receptive to the treatment.