• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with pigeons/doves!!!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hello,
I am doing my research for pigeons/dove but there are almost no information out there!!! I have few questions and it would be amazing if you guys could answer them.

1. Is it true that a pigeon would die if not kept in pairs, can I have one pigeon if I give him, her a lot of attention?

2. Are pigeon cuddly/affectionate?

3. There are so many species out there!!! Wich one would be a good choice if I want to train my pigeon to do tricks, flight train it and cuddle with it?

Thanks you so much it would mean a lot if y'all answer!!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hello,
I am doing my research for pigeons/dove but there are almost no information out there!!! I have few questions and it would be amazing if you guys could answer them.

1. Is it true that a pigeon would die if not kept in pairs, can I have one pigeon if I give him, her a lot of attention?

2. Are pigeon cuddly/affectionate?

3. There are so many species out there!!! Wich one would be a good choice if I want to train my pigeon to do tricks, flight train it and cuddle with it?

Thanks you so much it would mean a lot if y'all answer!!!
I forgot! Also male or female would be better?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I am new here... If I understood I don't have to do anything they will come if they want (little Instagram tags)?
They will get a notification that someone mentioned them and hopefully come to help :)

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I don’t know much about the species itself, but I do know that if you decide that they would be a good bird for you, there are usually some up for adoption if you would consider that instead of getting from a breeder.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Question 1..No,,, pidge will not die if not kept in pairs,,and yes you can have one pidge, giving daily loves and cuddles.
Question 2,,Pidgies are very loving and affectionate.
Question 3...not sure if Pidgies can be taught " tricks".. or flight train,,,theres lot of adoptable Pidgies out there,,,,,may I suggest Pigeon talk? Good website for pidge owners, may even help you find one for adoption in your area.
Or....look up local Pidge clubs in your area,,,they're usually freindly and helpful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Many here take their pigeons out and drive them to another town then release them and drive back home (usually 30-90mins away) and their pigeons happily fly home. I have not heard of this being done with just one bird but with a whole flock it’s pretty common here unfortunately. Lol I say unfortunately as they sometimes choose to hang around where they got released for a little while before going home.... poop everywhere!!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Question 1..No,,, pidge will not die if not kept in pairs,,and yes you can have one pidge, giving daily loves and cuddles.
Question 2,,Pidgies are very loving and affectionate.
Question 3...not sure if Pidgies can be taught " tricks".. or flight train,,,theres lot of adoptable Pidgies out there,,,,,may I suggest Pigeon talk? Good website for pidge owners, may even help you find one for adoption in your area.
Or....look up local Pidge clubs in your area,,,they're usually freindly and helpful.
Would a male or female be better for me?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Boys,,,cooing, loudly at times ,, can be terratorial ,,
Girls, quiet, but still nesty and will lay eggs,,,
Whatever you adopt, Im sure you will be fine.

Gav

Strolling the yard
Pigeons can make wonderful pets and can very well thrive inside with a human companion they've bonded with. Throw a bird diaper on them and I'd say they're the easiest/cleanest bird to own because they lack the destructive abilities that any parrot will have.

Many here take their pigeons out and drive them to another town then release them and drive back home (usually 30-90mins away) and their pigeons happily fly home. I have not heard of this being done with just one bird but with a whole flock it’s pretty common here unfortunately. Lol I say unfortunately as they sometimes choose to hang around where they got released for a little while before going home.... poop everywhere!!
On the topic of those racers though, any rescuer/shelter I've seen or spoken with is highly against people who own pigeons for this sport. Most are sadly picked off by predators or lose their way home and can starve to death because they have no survival skills :( Many, many rescues who come in are lost racing pigeons, and most of the ones who can't return home on their own are rejected by their previous owners.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Pigeons can make wonderful pets and can very well thrive inside with a human companion they've bonded with. Throw a bird diaper on them and I'd say they're the easiest/cleanest bird to own because they lack the destructive abilities that any parrot will have.

On the topic of those racers though, any rescuer/shelter I've seen or spoken with is highly against people who own pigeons for this sport. Most are sadly picked off by predators or lose their way home and can starve to death because they have no survival skills :( Many, many rescues who come in are lost racing pigeons, and most of the ones who can't return home on their own are rejected by their previous owners.
I definitely would never race my pigeons!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hey guys,
I have heard that doves are dusty birds. Is it true? Could someone be allergic to them?

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Pigeons make wonderful pets IF they are born and raised around people. But for someone who hasn't owned a pigeon before, I would recommend getting a dove instead of a pigeon. I've found that turtle doves are very snuggly, and bond pretty closely to their human. I have a baby dove that is trained to fly to me at the command, and no, his rewards aren't treats. his prefered reward are kisses and snuggles.
Now, that is not to say pigeons are not snuggly or bond as close! However, they are larger and more territorial. If you want a pigeon to be your best friend, you have to be prepared to A. only have one pigeon B. spend HOURS each day with it and C. be prepared to be buying a LOT of food. However, personality plays a big role. I had a wild pigeon once that was cuddling with me on day one, and was my best friend. Rest in peace Ridgeway...
Anyway, for species, I would recommend either a Ringed turtle dove or a Feral Rock Pigeon. The reason I don't say Homing pigeon is because they are a different genetic line, and from what I've seen, they aren't as friendly as Rock Pigeons. (Weird, right?! The wild pigeons make better pets than specially bred ones?)
For best bonding, I would try to adopt a rock pigeon from a rescue or get a turtle dove from a BREEDER.

Moonbabi

Moving in
Real Name
Birdie
Hello I hope you’re well. How did you raise your turtle dove? I just rescued one from a cat that I’ve been observing for a while and I’m almost certain it’s mom was also prey to a cat