• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with peach face lovebird genetics

Tigerlily

Moving in
Real Name
Kelcie chamberlain
Hi guys! I’m new here and I was figuring this might be a good place to ask! I just figured out my two lovebirds mutations and I really want help using gencalc to see what babies they might have! But everything just looks so complicated and it doesn’t.. i don’t know it doesn’t make sense to me. My boy is a slate peach face, and my girl is a creamino peach face.. my girl has red eyes and my boy has black.. not sure if that matters.. I’ll attach a photo in case you need to see them

Attachments

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome to the avenue! I'm also TERRIBLE at mutations....NOTHING makes sense with those calculators! I bought myself a book to help, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive... @Zara and @Destiny were really helpful for me, so I tagged them :) Lovely birds, though. Creamino's are dear to my heart as I have had 4 of them in the past :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Just so that you know, neither of the birds in that picture are "slate".

Tigerlily

Moving in
Real Name
Kelcie chamberlain
Welcome! Just so that you know, neither of the birds in that picture are "slate".
What makes you say that? He’s for sure not sea green I’ll tell you that. And those are the only two options for him I believe.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What makes you say that? He’s for sure not sea green I’ll tell you that. And those are the only two options for him I believe.
Slate is usually a greyer body. Yours looks as if it has one dark factor, not two. I could be mistaken though. @Zara may have a different opinion.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Zara may have a different opinion.
I also didn´t think Slate, but I don´t know.

Who told you these mutations? Do you know what mutations the parents had?
If you are just looking at similar birds and assuming that is the mutation, why did you rule out AquaTurquoise D or DD? Or did the beak not match?

Tigerlily

Moving in
Real Name
Kelcie chamberlain
I also didn´t think Slate, but I don´t know.

Who told you these mutations? Do you know what mutations the parents had?
If you are just looking at similar birds and assuming that is the mutation, why did you rule out AquaTurquoise D or DD? Or did the beak not match?
I posted in one of my Facebook groups and they told me what they thought the mutations were. I agreed with slate because he does have grayish tones all over along with his super deep olive green.. his beak is like just straight orange and my girls is more of a lighter yellow that goes down into a darker yellow. Not sure if that helps. Also I don’t know about their parents, they are both from a breeder but I didn’t get to see their parents unfortunately

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I am not very good at identifying mutations, but I can tell you a little about the possible outcomes of a pairing between a male slate and female creamino peach faced lovebird.

First, let's talk about base color. Both slate and creamino are "blue series" colors, which means that in addition to other visual mutations, the bird must have a parblue mutation - either Aqua (Dutch blue), Turquoise (White Faced Blue), or AquaTurquoise (Seagreen). A creamino is parblue and ino. If the bird has green base color, it would be lutino, instead of creamino and much more yellow. There is no true blue in peach faced lovebirds, so there are no true albinos (solid white with red eyes). Of the three blue colors, Aqua has the most yellow color and Turquoise has the least. AquaTurquoise, as the name suggests, is a mix of Aqua and Turquoise, so it is in the middle. So if your creamino bird is very light colored with a white face, she probably has Turquoise as her base color. If she is more yellow with pink cheeks she probably has Aqua.

Slate color comes from combining parblue with two dark factors. In a green series bird, one dark factor will produce medium green ("Jade") and two dark factors will produce dark green ("Olive"). In a blue-series bird, these colors are called “Cobalt” and “Slate”, respectively. However, because parblue also comes in three different shades, there is a decent amount of variation in color for cobalt and slate birds, depending on if the base color is more green-colored (aqua) or more blue (turquoise).

If your bird is olive green/gray, then he might be aqua with two dark factors. Or he might be a green series bird with one or two dark factors and violet factor.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that your girl is aqua and ino. And your boy is aqua and double dark factor. No other mutations.

In that case, all female offspring inherit aqua from both parents. All male offspring will be aqua split to ino. All offspring will have a single dark factor. So all of the babies will be cobalt (medium blue) in a greenish color.

If your male is aqua and your female is turquoise, the offspring will be AquaTurquoise (plus dark factors). If both parents are Turquoise, all offspring will inherit turquoise.

If the male is actually green, not parbblue, then all offspring will be green, split to blue. If he is green, split to blue, then half the offspring will be parblue and the rest will be green split to blue.

If your male is split to ino, you might see some creamino offspring. If your female has one or more dark factors, then the babies will be all dark (if both parents have two dark factors) or a mix of shades.

There also might be other hidden genes which could affect the outcome - for example, your ino female might be carrying violet factor or other mutations that are masked by ino or your male might be split to other recessive mutations. Without knowing more about their parentage, it is impossible to rule out entirely.

Tigerlily

Moving in
Real Name
Kelcie chamberlain
I am not very good at identifying mutations, but I can tell you a little about the possible outcomes of a pairing between a male slate and female creamino peach faced lovebird.

First, let's talk about base color. Both slate and creamino are "blue series" colors, which means that in addition to other visual mutations, the bird must have a parblue mutation - either Aqua (Dutch blue), Turquoise (White Faced Blue), or AquaTurquoise (Seagreen). A creamino is parblue and ino. If the bird has green base color, it would be lutino, instead of creamino and much more yellow. There is no true blue in peach faced lovebirds, so there are no true albinos (solid white with red eyes). Of the three blue colors, Aqua has the most yellow color and Turquoise has the least. AquaTurquoise, as the name suggests, is a mix of Aqua and Turquoise, so it is in the middle. So if your creamino bird is very light colored with a white face, she probably has Turquoise as her base color. If she is more yellow with pink cheeks she probably has Aqua.

Slate color comes from combining parblue with two dark factors. In a green series bird, one dark factor will produce medium green ("Jade") and two dark factors will produce dark green ("Olive"). In a blue-series bird, these colors are called “Cobalt” and “Slate”, respectively. However, because parblue also comes in three different shades, there is a decent amount of variation in color for cobalt and slate birds, depending on if the base color is more green-colored (aqua) or more blue (turquoise).

If your bird is olive green/gray, then he might be aqua with two dark factors. Or he might be a green series bird with one or two dark factors and violet factor.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say that your girl is aqua and ino. And your boy is aqua and double dark factor. No other mutations.

In that case, all female offspring inherit aqua from both parents. All male offspring will be aqua split to ino. All offspring will have a single dark factor. So all of the babies will be cobalt (medium blue) in a greenish color.

If your male is aqua and your female is turquoise, the offspring will be AquaTurquoise (plus dark factors). If both parents are Turquoise, all offspring will inherit turquoise.

If the male is actually green, not parbblue, then all offspring will be green, split to blue. If he is green, split to blue, then half the offspring will be parblue and the rest will be green split to blue.

If your male is split to ino, you might see some creamino offspring. If your female has one or more dark factors, then the babies will be all dark (if both parents have two dark factors) or a mix of shades.

There also might be other hidden genes which could affect the outcome - for example, your ino female might be carrying violet factor or other mutations that are masked by ino or your male might be split to other recessive mutations. Without knowing more about their parentage, it is impossible to rule out entirely.
Wow that’s a lot of info.. thank you! I’ll have to read through it a couple times and digest it.. but my female is light colored with a light colored face. So I think turquoise is her base color. I’m not sure about my male honestly.. I guess he will be a mystery until I see how the babies turn out.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sorry about the info dump. I am quite fond of genetics and I get carried away easily. :D

To summarize, if your male's base color is green, the babies will be either all green or half of them will be green and half will be blue. If his base color is blue, all the babies will be some shade of blue.

Since he isn't a normal blue or green color, the male must have some other mutation(s), like dark factor or violet factor or something else, so you can expect to end up with a darker shade of blue and/or green in his offspring, possibly all the same color or different shades.

It is unlikely that you will get any ino offspring, because it is a sex-linked recessive mutation and your female is ino. The girls can only be ino if the dad has at least one ino gene. If he has no ino genes, they will be normal. Girls can't inherit ino from the mother, because she gave them the sex-determining chromosome that made them female, instead of the chromosome with the ino gene. Any male offspring will be split to ino, because they will inherit ino from the mom, but they will not be visually ino unless the dad is able to provide a second ino gene.

In other words, if you get any inos from this pairing, it confirms that the male is split to ino (or that you mixed up the gender of the parents ;) ).

ARC

Checking out the neighborhood

Brilliant break down! Thanks for that