• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with new lovebird

Mariacap3

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Maria
Hey guys,
So I just got a lovebird almost a month ago and I’m not sure how to get him to trust me. I’ve been putting my hand in the cage everyday and with treats in my hand. He will eat millet out of my hand but only from the perch. If I try to get too close he backs away. I know that hands in the cage he just may not like but my question is how to I get him to trust my hands ? I looked up towel training but I feel that’s kinda harsh. We also hang out all the time ..I leave his cage open sometimes he comes out on top
Of his cage but never comes near me. I know it’s only been a month but I don’t want to do irreversible harm either. Thanks for listening !

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Maria 1.welcome signs.gif

Try feeding him the treats through the cages bars rather than putting your hand in the cage.

I don´t think I know what towel training is? But it sounds like it could possibly be a name for flooding (not good).

More often than not, it just takes time and patience. Repitition and constant positive interactions :)

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
It took Mango(untamed bird) close to a year to trust me. It requires a lot of patience.

This video helped me I like her method of training better than bird tricks. Jen is gentle & compassionate towards her rescue birds.
http://instagr.am/p/CMpdxEqFWpT/