• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with my Quaker

Kiki28

Checking out the neighborhood
My Quaker is 6 months, just got him a week ago. He was on a regular diet, but now he’s not eating and will only eat bird formula. Any suggestions on what could be going on?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have quaker experience but I know it's common for baby cockatiels to regress and need hand feedings when they go to a new home. Are you offering the same type of food he was being fed before you got him? @Hjarta ? @Mizzely ? @Monica ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kiki :)
After handfeeding the formula, offer up the adult foods, he is more likely to eat them then.

:bump7:
@SandraK @Hjarta5

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:greet5: Hi @kiki and wlecome to AA. I don't know if I'll be much help but I'll try. The Quaker baby my hubby gave me, Kiwi, came to us eating seed. That I remember she didn't regress much but as total rubes at the time and having grown up in S. America where there (technically) wasn't any such thing as "pet food", you fed your pet whatever your pet would eat. So we tried soft foods like mashed banana (big hit) and would offer Kiwi some of Fred's cream of wheat or oatmeal. Fred's being lactose intolerant meant that there was never any milk or butter in either not that we would have known it was bad for her. The banana made an impression because her first words were ba-na-na um um good! She would try everything and anything we'd offer to her and it was because of her that I found Avian Avenue. Talk to your baby softly too and tell her what you're doing when you change out water and food.

Does your baby have a name yet or are you waiting to see what she's like temperament-wise?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Would not hurt to rule out medical reasons by seeing an avian vet. :)

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I suggest trying cooked foods, such as vegetables, sweet potatoes, Quinoa, to get him or her interested in other foods.A 6 month old Quaker, shouldn't be having formula. Have you tried any pellets for him ? If hrs hungry enough he will eat.