• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help with my Lovebirds

Vaepness

Moving in
Real Name
Kayra
Hello, i have a male redhead lovebird and a female peach-faced lovebird. Long story short, he always threatens her whenever she is trying to eat or walks around the cage. He's been with me for 2years yet i couldn't have tamed him, i bought the other one 3weeks ago.
He is 2.5years old or something
She is 2years old as im guessing

She is eating so, so less and either sits in a corner or watches outside through window. They were sleeping together but he was pecking her i guess because she were making noises like she is hurt?
Whenever they 'fight' she makes that noise, at start they weren't doing this so i have no idea what happened.

I don't know if any back-story is needed, but if you need to know the bird better to help me then here's the story :

My uncle gave a pair of lovebirds 2years ago. We kept them at living room, they were something around 1yo or 6-7months old at the time. Redhead's mate has died to a cat hurting her as we are guessing, after a while she died (don't even ask how it happened, it still hurts. There were no blood, scar or etc. so we had no idea) but before that they weren't doing well together, he were pecking her, like attacking because she were not laying on the eggs we think. We had no ''bird breeding boxes'', there were only grass and some dirt on the floor of their cage. After that i've took the cage to my room and let him fly in my room after I couldn't tame him. (As i learned they can't be tamed if they are not nestlings?)

I bought the peach-faced knowing its a female lovebird, she had eggs with a fischer-lovebird so the eggs were empty and her new mate wasn't doing well with her as the petshop owner told us. So i took her, i was looking for a female lovebird for months and as you know you can't tell their gender except they lay eggs or take a gender test. Tried to tame her so i let her in a cage, she were doing well with my redheaded lovebird so i let her fly in my room as well.

Here are the photos of'em and the area they eat-sleep
bird1.jpeg bird2.jpeg bird3.jpeg bird4.jpeg

Vaepness

Moving in
Real Name
Kayra
I want to go for a walk with them, male lovebird loves it but female lovebird haven't gone to any. I want to solve their problem until summer's back. Thanks for the help :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kayra :)

Some things to point out,

1. The new bird should still be in quarantine for another 3 weeks. It´s recommended to keep them in different rooms for 6 weeks while you get the new bird a check up at the vet to be sure she is illness and disease free. It´s too late for quarantine now so I would get to the vet at the soonest you can to have her checked.

2. Sorry to hear of your prev. bird. It could have been something simple like a lick, it´s all it takes unfortunately. If you haven´t already worked out something for the cat, be sure to keep them away or out of the room.

After that i've took the cage to my room and let him fly in my room after I couldn't tame him. (As i learned they can't be tamed if they are not nestlings?)
Not true. You can ¨tame¨ most birds at least to some extent. It just takes a lot of time, dedication and patience.

They were sleeping together but he was pecking her i guess because she were making noises like she is hurt?
Do you have a clip of the sound so we can hear? One of my girls makes this awful squeaking sound at night with her boyfriend, he´s not hurting her, I don´t know what the sound is.
Can you see them at night? Have you seen him chasing her?

Honestly, that cage is too small for one lovebird, let alone two. I would recommend a larger cage, and a second larger cage. Something like the finch breeder cages (they are 30x18x18) are cheap and decent for a single bird.

House the two birds separately until they bond and then you can move them into a larger cage together. If they do not bond, they will need to be housed separately indefinitely.
Only house lovebirds as single birds or one bonded pair per cage.

edit; forgot to add, your ¨read head¨ is a peach-faced lovebird too. He is opaline. So both of your birds are the same species :)

she had eggs with a fischer-lovebird so the eggs were empty
Did the pet shop person tell you that?
It is possible for them to breed and create Fischeri x Roseicollis hybrids. It is those offspring that would be the infertile ones, not the two parents together.

Vaepness

Moving in
Real Name
Kayra
Thanks for the help, ''opaline'' sounds so smooth :D
I'll get her to a vet and get a bigger cage

At night, they were looking relaxed/sleepy, yet she were squeaking time to time and running away from him. He never chased her but always interrupted her whenever she wanted to eat by trying to peck her like this. There are 3 spots for them to eat yet he always doing this and they even fought few times.

How long do i need to house them separately until they bond? Plus it's been months for my opaline to fly in my room freely, i'm scared of making him sad and losing his trust to me. Are there any toys specifically for lovebirds ? They love to chew on sticks i gave them and anything that's wood in my room (even my bamboo, they've shredded it) that's for sure :D

Again, thank you so much, it's so hard to get help through internet when it comes to pets

Vaepness

Moving in
Real Name
Kayra
I have a third cage, it's dirty and old but if it's big enough to use then i'll clean it. 70x30x30'ish cm big*

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a third cage, it's dirty and old but if it's big enough to use then i'll clean it. 70x30x30'ish cm big*
No, round cages are not good for birds.

Something like this is a good choice, it is 45x45x90cm; PREVUE PET PRODUCTS Small Bird Flight Cage, White - Chewy.com
They need one each.

How long do i need to house them separately until they bond?
Until they bond. It could take weeks, months, years or never.

Are there any toys specifically for lovebirds ? They love to chew on sticks i gave them and anything that's wood in my room (even my bamboo, they've shredded it) that's for sure :D
Sure. Here´s a list of good places to shop, all are members here so you can send them a message and ask ig you are unsure about a toy and its suitability.
My little ones love cork, mahogany pods, paper, cardboard, palm leaf, banana leaf, anything that can be destroyed :lol: Bells are also a nice toy, as well as other noise makers.Be sure to buy good quality bells (I recommend SSBT for bells)

Vaepness

Moving in
Real Name
Kayra
Thank you, hope they will get along before summer. Now i need to get them into cages without scaring them :D Have a good day/night :)