• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with GCC

Ips

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ivory
Hi all! I came here trying to figure out a number of problems with my mothers 6 month old GCC. Firstly I'd like to add we got him from Pet Smart (Bad call i know) He was about 3 months old and hes very skitish and aggressively grooms himself? To the point where his tail feathers are all beat up. He's never inside his cage until bed time and hes gotten better about little things like he'll take food now if you're really slow about it but still doesn't want anything to do with us. We also have another GCC about the same age as him but she was hand raised and we bought her from a breeder. She is very loving and always wants to be with us and she doesn't do anything he does. They don't bicker at all they will sit there and groom each other until one falls asleep so there isn't any problem there. He is also VERY loud and screeches when he sees birds outside (his cage is right next to the window) he doesn't scream like this until he sees them outside. He's very alert all the time. Thanks in advance!

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Others know more, but I can guess it's going to take quite a bit of time. I can only imagine the annoyances from the Pet Smart he had to endure. Just go at his pace, be close and talk to him without trying to touch him. He may never be as loving as the other, they all have their own personalities. It is helpful the other gcc is tame, it will help him to know your not bird eating monsters.:)

Ips

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ivory
That's what i was guessing. I really want to know why hes so aggressively grooms himself and just squacks at the window lol even when hes eating he looks like hes being aggressive

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Give him time and babies will mess their tails up a lot. You may have a guardian bird...or what I like to think of as the one in the flock always alert and loudly warns of impending doom. I have several...their eyesight is really, really good so he may see things that you don't.

:welave:

analliecat

Walking the driveway
Real Name
allie
as a petsmart employee i can tell you that conures do not get the attention they need nor do they have a set routine. i personally try my best to give the conures personal attention, but i get scolded
i got my gcc from petsmart. most of their tails are tattered because of the enclosure they’re in, the excessive grooming from boredorm, and just normal baby bird stuff. my jethro’s tail is not to pretty looking. i got jethro to stop preening aggressively by introducing him to his toys. it hasn’t stopped but it’s gotton so much better because he just attacks his toys.
jethro screams when he sees other animals that he can’t get to (my cats, my hamster, birds outside, etc). i think it’s pretty normal.