• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with cockatiel diet

BesserBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Ali Besser
I got a cockatiel just over 2 months ago and it is my first bird. I gave him all seeds for 2 months until I realized he was getting fat! I did some research and discovered that was wrong but can’t find any good diets!

Can someone give me some diet info and what percentages of what I should give him?

Thanks

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
About 50/50 consumed pellets/seeds, or even slightly more seed. Get a good quality brand. I feed Goldenfeast Australian Blend and Roudybush. In addition to this give all the fresh veggies your bird will eat.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, welcome to the Avenue. There are many opinions,heres mine.

20-80% pellets. Roudybush,Harrison’s, lafeber, TOPS. My tiels Love tops and also get roudybush.

Fresh veggies: any veggie you like, no tomatoes, avocado,onions. This should comprise a large part of the diet, say 50% veggies with 40% pellet food. Personally im uppping the fresh foods for my birds. There’s a FB group for avian nutrition if you want to go that route.

Seed, nuts only about 10%.it isn’t that nutritious and they willl get fat, as you found.

I left out fruit. They can eat fruit but tend to get yeast from it.so feed it sparingly.

There are lots of threads here about getting started with pellets and veggies.

Good luck!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My Avian Vet says 50% seed, 10% fresh vegetables (most Tiels refuse fruits), 30% pellets (Harrison's fine), 10% birdy treats (birdy bread, cooked grains, dried fruit/veg, cooked egg).

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I fed a pellet dry diet (Roudybush nibles) which was always in the cage, seed as a treat mostly used when training, daily greens, boiled egg a few times a week.

BesserBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Ali Besser
My Avian Vet says 50% seed, 10% fresh vegetables (most Tiels refuse fruits), 30% pellets (Harrison's fine), 10% birdy treats (birdy bread, cooked grains, dried fruit/veg, cooked egg). [/QUOTE
What about a peeler based diet with like 70% pellets and 20% veggies and 10% seeds? Would that be okay for keeping him at the same weight?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Opinions vary on exactly what is the best diet for cockatiels but everyone I think unanimously agrees not all seeds. Cockatiels are granivores. So I do think they need seed in their diet. I used to feed mine about 50% seeds, 10% pellets (actually nutriberries) and the rest fresh vegetables and then some rice and pasta. Cockatiels usually don't eat fruit. So it's probably better to focus on having them eat vegetables. You can try broccoli, leafy greens, cooked sweet potato, etc.

BesserBirds

Moving in
Real Name
Ali Besser
Thanks you everyone for the help! Just as we started the weight loss journey it had to end... we have weighed petey for the first time and he is 90.3g! That is average weight even though he has been gaining a lot of weight! We have discovered that with the previous owner he was underweight! He is now back to Normal and is so very happy!

Once again thank you everyone for the help!
-BesserBirds

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks you everyone for the help! Just as we started the weight loss journey it had to end... we have weighed petey for the first time and he is 90.3g! That is average weight even though he has been gaining a lot of weight! We have discovered that with the previous owner he was underweight! He is now back to Normal and is so very happy!

Once again thank you everyone for the help!
-BesserBirds
90.3 g sounds pretty good...and very good when you consider that he was under weight before. :)

For comparison...Sunshine Tiel 95.4 g, Mocha 99.1 g, and Igor is 88.9 g...Igor has always been a small guy...;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Do you know how old Petey is?

I agree on a diet of 50/50 seeds to pellets with fresh foods (primarily vegetables) added into the diet. An all seed diet can lead to malnutrition and fatty liver disease. An all pelleted diet may result in kidney failure. Therefore, they do best on a diet that includes seeds and pellets.

Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum