• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with Charlie's seed part of his diet!

Jazzy*

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
another places you can order from in paradise perch they are from ont also I have been to there store front

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi guys!

View attachment 299201

Charlie is running low on the homemade seed mix we got from the breeder (pictures above mixed with a bunch of colored pellets) which is pretty far away, so I decided to go to the pet shop and give commercial seed mixes a try. I tried my best to pick the healthiest they had, at least that's what I thought...

View attachment 299194 View attachment 299195 View attachment 299196

I was horrified to find wayyy more sunflowers seeds than I thought! And no veggies like advertised! I don't have much time to prepare fresh veggies for Charlie everyday though I try to give him some when I can so I was hoping there would be dried ones :( I immediately started picking out the sunflower seeds to keep aside as treats, lol...

View attachment 299197 View attachment 299198 View attachment 299199
I also got some Tropimix, but again less veggies than I thought there would be.

Are those mixes any good if fed no more than 50% of Charlie's diet? He is fed Tropican pellets for the other 50% of his cage food (so excluding fresh foods) and there is already Tropican pellets too in both the mixes I got so I guess that is good, at least.

Maybe I should trust pictures more than whats written on the bag! :(

Any commercial seed mixes you would recommend in Canada? Either in pet stores or online but I would prefer in store...

Maybe I could make my own seed mix? Or should I go to the breeder to get their mix? Hmmm...

Please send help! Thank you in advance!
Sadly, a lot of that commercial seeds is just that, crap!!! Some will wash their seeds prior to selling, wash in what I tend to wonder. Many commercial seeds come from areas joined with those that spray their fields or crops......want to take that chance? Or in other cases bringing home moth larva In the seeds... Quite annoying!
I'm very picky with mine.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
For quick veggies you can also get the frozen ricer veggies in the freezer section. They are already cut into rice size bits, pop in a bowl and de-thaw if you are in a rush. Works well for those veggies that you don't need to cook prior to serving. Mix a few kinds together for a really quick chop.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Sadly, a lot of that commercial seeds is just that, crap!!! Some will wash their seeds prior to selling, wash in what I tend to wonder. Many commercial seeds come from areas joined with those that spray their fields or crops......want to take that chance? Or in other cases bringing home moth larva In the seeds... Quite annoying!
I'm very picky with mine.

Ouch, I haven't thought about that, you're right! I only get mine from Hagen/Hari and they say they use CO2 to get rid of the bugs but who knows... Another good reason to get my own organic seeds and make my mix, lol!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
For quick veggies you can also get the frozen ricer veggies in the freezer section. They are already cut into rice size bits, pop in a bowl and de-thaw if you are in a rush. Works well for those veggies that you don't need to cook prior to serving. Mix a few kinds together for a really quick chop.
I haven't thought about that!! Thank you for the idea!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ouch, I haven't thought about that, you're right! I only get mine from Hagen/Hari and they say they use CO2 to get rid of the bugs but who knows... Another good reason to get my own organic seeds and make my mix, lol!
Thats what I do....I go to a health store and get organic seeds and stuff, salt, sugar free. Then mix my own...little more expensive than store bought, but worth it.