• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help with Charlie's seed part of his diet!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hi guys!

AF22274A-6F1D-4639-81BB-CE13682A1C71.jpeg

Charlie is running low on the homemade seed mix we got from the breeder (pictures above mixed with a bunch of colored pellets) which is pretty far away, so I decided to go to the pet shop and give commercial seed mixes a try. I tried my best to pick the healthiest they had, at least that's what I thought...

AE6080FE-6A11-42A7-81F9-BE1B922C111E.jpeg D00D4C8A-91BA-42D9-AAFA-5B24F83E3224.jpeg 16813478-05E5-48CD-8D2A-2672A81DD8AE.jpeg

I was horrified to find wayyy more sunflowers seeds than I thought! And no veggies like advertised! I don't have much time to prepare fresh veggies for Charlie everyday though I try to give him some when I can so I was hoping there would be dried ones :( I immediately started picking out the sunflower seeds to keep aside as treats, lol...

5788B07D-A113-4321-889A-EC757B2EB419.jpeg 11B5F224-7594-47E9-87AB-EB76E469D8FD.jpeg 005E7AF2-2148-4054-A01E-87F8F2A524BC.jpeg
I also got some Tropimix, but again less veggies than I thought there would be.

Are those mixes any good if fed no more than 50% of Charlie's diet? He is fed Tropican pellets for the other 50% of his cage food (so excluding fresh foods) and there is already Tropican pellets too in both the mixes I got so I guess that is good, at least.

Maybe I should trust pictures more than whats written on the bag! :(

Any commercial seed mixes you would recommend in Canada? Either in pet stores or online but I would prefer in store...

Maybe I could make my own seed mix? Or should I go to the breeder to get their mix? Hmmm...

Please send help! Thank you in advance!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read that no more than 10% of birds diet should be seed. I try to go w/ the 2 Tablespoon a day amount, but I use them to treat. So gets about one w/ his meal @ night & 1 throughout the day. What I'm not sure about, is the difference between a cockatiel & an amazon regarding this in size & genius.

Most foods are filled w/ crummy seeds. The veggies are usually in the pellet part of those mixes. Or like in the food I just threw out (Higgins) due to some chemical synthetic sorts of ingredients/vitamins I was really leary of, there are things like dried chili peppers which he didn't eat. I had to fine chop them & put them in scrambled eggs to get him to eat maybe 2 a container. He loves peppers just not chili peppers.

@Lady Jane , @Tiel Feathers ,

They maybe able to assist you much better then me. They may know of other members that can help you as they're great w/ who as smaller Fids.

I hear great things about this shop for veggie meals in a pinch. This is by far a better diet than seed in my opinion. You can try stuff for a nominal fee. Hope you can find what sparkle needs!

Christine's Chop Shop

:gbh:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't have much time to prepare fresh veggies for Charlie

This is not good. We must find the time to take care of our birds nutritional needs. Get up earlier in the morning or stay up later for a bit to prepare the next days veggies. Use dehydrated vegges and rehydrate them before serving. It does not take long to wash some greens and hang in the cage. Veggies of course cannot stay in the cage all day. I take mine out in 2 hours. You can also use frozen veggies and fruit if you feel any. If you do not feed a balanced diet (not all commercially prepared) you bird may end up with fatty liver disease. @Mizzely may have some suggestions for you also.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I've read that no more than 10% of birds diet should be seed. I try to go w/ the 2 Tablespoon a day amount, but I use them to treat. So gets about one w/ his meal @ night & 1 throughout the day. What I'm not sure about, is the difference between a cockatiel & an amazon regarding this in size & genius.

Most foods are filled w/ crummy seeds. The veggies are usually in the pellet part of those mixes. Or like in the food I just threw out (Higgins) due to some chemical synthetic sorts of ingredients/vitamins I was really leary of, there are things like dried chili peppers which he didn't eat. I had to fine chop them & put them in scrambled eggs to get him to eat maybe 2 a container. He loves peppers just not chili peppers.

@Lady Jane , @Tiel Feathers ,

They maybe able to assist you much better then me. They may know of other members that can help you as they're great w/ who as smaller Fids.

I hear great things about this shop for veggie meals in a pinch. This is by far a better diet than seed in my opinion. You can try stuff for a nominal fee. Hope you can find what sparkle needs!

Christine's Chop Shop

:gbh:

I have read that about the 10% too, but I have also read that cockatiels need more seed in their diet? But either way my avian vet recommends the less seed possible so I'm trying to get Charlie to gradually eat as less seeds and as much pellets & veggies as possible :) That shop looks awesome, thanks for the link! I'll just have to check their shipping fees :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
This is not good. We must find the time to take care of our birds nutritional needs. Get up earlier in the morning or stay up later for a bit to prepare the next days veggies. Use dehydrated vegges and rehydrate them before serving. It does not take long to wash some greens and hang in the cage. Veggies of course cannot stay in the cage all day. I take mine out in 2 hours. You can also use frozen veggies and fruit if you feel any. If you do not feed a balanced diet (not all commercially prepared) you bird may end up with fatty liver disease. @Mizzely may have some suggestions for you also.
I know how important it is for our fids to eat as much veggies as possible, don't get me wrong. I don't want Charlie to get ill, and I'm really happy he's at least eating more pellets than my last birds, and I'm trying to get him to eat more veggies. I was just hoping there would be some dehydrated veggies in those mixes to help me out. And I do usually have the time to prepare the veggies, sorry that I worded this incorrectly, the problem is taking them out after 2 hours since I have school and Charlie is less motivated to eat them in the evening than in the morning. Still have work to do to get him to eat them. But I'll keep trying in the evening on week days and in the morning when I don't have school, and hopefully get real bags of dehydrated vegs!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If my choices were to do no veggies or leave them in the cage all day, I would leave them in the cage all day :)

Cockatiels do need more seeds in their diets than other parrots, usually equal parts seed to pellet ratio. There is actually a lot less sunflowers in that mix than a lot of them sold here in the states and I wouldn't hesitate to feed it myself.

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
If my choices were to do no veggies or leave them in the cage all day, I would leave them in the cage all day :)

I'll be honest...I leave my veggies in the cage all day. If I can make it home at lunch and have time, I'll remove them at lunch (4 hour mark of them in the cage), but I can't always guarantee I can be home from work at lunch. On the weekends they get removed a lot sooner. My birds have gotten the hang of fresh in the morning and tend to chow down the moment I put their veggie in in the morning, they might pick at them an hour after that but any time after that...most of the remains have fallen through the cage crate or they've moved on to other foraging (I have a nestcam). If they nibble on them beyond that, it's not enough that I worry. But YMMV.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph

Cockatiels do need more seeds in their diets than other parrots, usually equal parts seed to pellet ratio. There is actually a lot less sunflowers in that mix than a lot of them sold here in the states and I wouldn't hesitate to feed it myself.

Thank you for your input!!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I'll be honest...I leave my veggies in the cage all day. If I can make it home at lunch and have time, I'll remove them at lunch (4 hour mark of them in the cage), but I can't always guarantee I can be home from work at lunch. On the weekends they get removed a lot sooner. My birds have gotten the hang of fresh in the morning and tend to chow down the moment I put their veggie in in the morning, they might pick at them an hour after that but any time after that...most of the remains have fallen through the cage crate or they've moved on to other foraging (I have a nestcam). If they nibble on them beyond that, it's not enough that I worry. But YMMV.
Okay I'll feel less bad to do so then haha xD I agree it's better than no veggies at all, I was just a little scared I guess. Just left some broccoli in Charlie's cage :) Thank you!

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
things for wings she is in Canada and is on here also. just got an email saying she is doing a sale today and tomorrow 10% off

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
things for wings she is in Canada and is on here also. just got an email saying she is doing a sale today and tomorrow 10% off
I have purchased from her once but I have yet to try her food :) I am also checking out The Parrot Shop as they are closer to my location than Thing For Wings, even though both are in Canada. Thank you for letting me know about the sale!! I'll check it out :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have noticed that the veggies, if left in the cage too long, will wilt and be looking like wet noodles. When they look like that I think the birds really don't eat them.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I have noticed that the veggies, if left in the cage too long, will wilt and be looking like wet noodles. When they look like that I think the birds really don't eat them.
Yeah I've never seen my birds eat their vegs once wilted lol!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
So Charlie didn't touch his broccoli today, but I went to my local natural products store and got him some dehydrated beetroot :) He immediately tried it and seems to like it! And so do I..! So that would be a cool treat or occasional topper for when I'm busy, but of course fresh vegs are better :) I was also very happy to find dehydrated apple & mango (I know theyre sugar so I can't give Charlie a lot, but I love them myself!) as well as a loooot of sprouting seeds and dried herbs!! Also quinoa and various other good birdie & human stuff. I will definitely be going back.. ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I immediately started picking out the sunflower seeds to keep aside as treats, lol...
I do that too ;)
I posted a picture of the 5.5L tubs of mix I buy on a thread here once because the sunflower seeds always rise to the top. I have to get my hand in the tub to mix the seeds well.

If the breeder sells the colourful mix, maybe buy that?

Do you feed your birds sprouts? Mine love lentils and mung beans :) Not every day, but every other day - I make just enough for one serving, so I always have sprouts growing.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I do that too ;)
I posted a picture of the 5.5L tubs of mix I buy on a thread here once because the sunflower seeds always rise to the top. I have to get my hand in the tub to mix the seeds well.

If the breeder sells the colourful mix, maybe buy that?

Do you feed your birds sprouts? Mine love lentils and mung beans :) Not every day, but every other day - I make just enough for one serving, so I always have sprouts growing.

Hehe, I'll check that thread out! And yes I think I'll get at least a bit of the breeder's mix next time I'm in their area :) Yes I'm trying out sprouts, Charlie isn't too sure about them yet but he does eat them! I am currently sprouting him some Hagen budgie seed mix I had left. Will probably try to sprout seeds from the natural products store too, since they have chia, alfalfa, broccoli, etc, basically a nicer variety :) Thanks for the sprouting suggestion, the Tropimix I got actually has lentils and Charlie eats them!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Stephanie is it ok to call you Steph?

Canada is so big, are you anywhere near Niagara Falls? There's a Rescue/Sanctuary ( sort of ) near there, I want to say Ontario. They maybe able to help, if for some reason our vendors can't help you. Which I doubt, but if you need me to look @ my bookmarks & find it for you give me a shout. I've never delt w/ them tho. Just tripped on their site.

You may want to try quinoa w/ your cooked veggies. Supposed to be a healthy addition to those dried or frozen veggies. Certain types of rice once in awhile mixed in too. You have to be careful w/ rice tho because it naturally contains arsenic. Don't freak out, it pulls it from the ground, anyway there are a few kinds really low levels. Jasmine rice is the one I use as I love it (personally) & Buddy usually loves what I love to eat. A great combination.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Stephanie is it ok to call you Steph?

Canada is so big, are you anywhere near Niagara Falls? There's a Rescue/Sanctuary ( sort of ) near there, I want to say Ontario. They maybe able to help, if for some reason our vendors can't help you. Which I doubt, but if you need me to look @ my bookmarks & find it for you give me a shout. I've never delt w/ them tho. Just tripped on their site.

You may want to try quinoa w/ your cooked veggies. Supposed to be a healthy addition to those dried or frozen veggies. Certain types of rice once in awhile mixed in too. You have to be careful w/ rice tho because it naturally contains arsenic. Don't freak out, it pulls it from the ground, anyway there are a few kinds really low levels. Jasmine rice is the one I use as I love it (personally) & Buddy usually loves what I love to eat. A great combination.
Yes, you can call me Steph! In fact, anyone can if they would like to :)

I am located in Montreal, Quebec, which is Ontario's eastern neighbor, but it's still quite far from me since Canada is so big indeed, haha! I do have family there though, so I could check out the sanctuary when I go visit them :) Thanks for the tip! I think I should be alright with T4W & The Parrot Shop.

Thank you for the quinoa & rice suggestions, I have yet to try giving it to Charlie but I bet he would love it! :)