• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help! with Baby Conure

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Me too! This save me a lot and also learned a lot that I didn't know about, but one thing for sure that I know I'm not cut out for baby bird raising
The aspen bedding is fine. Make sure you have at least three inches of depth to keep the baby off the flat bottom of the container. All of my birds have grown up with pellets ( Zupreem and Roudybush) with very little seed. Harrison’s is a good choice as well and there are many others to choose from too. I avoid any colored pellets and don’t offer cuttlebone to my birds ( I personally despise it). Although my birds do like fresh fruit it can provide too many empty calories, will be a preferred food over healthier options and also attracts bugs… it’s not a priority in my diet for my little birds.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The only way I can get that is through online or the ones that are in pet stores.
However you can get it the pellets would be a great addition to the diet of your conures. It’s formulated to give them what they need. I order mine from Chewy or purchase locally in Petsmart or Petco… depending on who has the better price.

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
The aspen bedding is fine. Make sure you have at least three inches of depth to keep the baby off the flat bottom of the container. All of my birds have grown up with pellets ( Zupreem and Roudybush) with very little seed. Harrison’s is a good choice as well and there are many others to choose from too. I avoid any colored pellets and don’t offer cuttlebone to my birds ( I personally despise it). Although my birds do like fresh fruit it can provide too many empty calories, will be a preferred food over healthier options and also attracts bugs… it’s not a priority in my diet for my little birds.
Ah I see what you mean. The pet store closest to me mostly had the colored ones and so I didn't get that. I would check another one if I get nothing then I'll have no choice but to order online.

Yeah for the bedding I did do the three inches like you said.

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
The cuttlenone I gave them it as an option and my Tiels are the only ones eating it but every once in a while.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh I lied I forgot I got this one at the pet store that I got the bedding from. Bastion is nibbling at it.. but I don't know if this is still a good one.
I’m not familiar with this brand. I do think some members here have tried it. The food guru @Mizzely might have tried this with her picky eater.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any pellet that they will eat is fine :) I did try this with my parrot but he wouldn't touch it lol

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Any pellet that they will eat is fine :) I did try this with my parrot but he wouldn't touch it lol
Ya mine early pretty much any pellet but they really didn't take to this one

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ya mine early pretty much any pellet but they really didn't take to this one
Ripley is extremely picky. Even pellets he likes he randomly stops eating haha

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
Thanks again for all the advice, I'll update again if there's anything I'm not to sure about.

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE! I have good news and Bad news... Good news is that the baby is still alive and tiny little feathers are coming out. On to the bad news, the baby's feet are severely deformed. I noticed it a little before the 2 week anniversary but thought this was a baby bird thing and it would fixed itself in the next couple of days... and since I had family visiting from overseas I didn't pay attention to the baby's feet, yes I know I should have kept a closer eye on the feet but didn't. Other than a Doctor's visit is there anything I can do for the baby's feet.

And let me say this again.. I'm not a breeder and I'm not going to be.. This one baby was stressful enough to remind myself that I'm not letting another egg hatch and if I do want another baby.. I'll go to the experts and get one from them other than that this is not for me. To many things can go wrong in just a few days. The baby can be good one day and in a few days not.

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I can’t get a good enough view with this photo. Looks like a toe is bent backwards? Is it one foot/ leg or both?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have someone hold the baby for you if you can’t get a better photo by yourself. But to be clear.. the front toes on both feet are bent back towards the body?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Poor baby are the swollen could you email a vet some pictures see if they can advise you ?

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
I'll take a better shot in the morning.. it's late here and Bastion is with her baby and I don't want to disturb them.

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE!! Okay So I forgot to get a better picture of the toes, but right now Anjanath which is now the baby's name Anji for short, is at the vet's office until Saturday getting their toe treatment. Hopefully it helps. On another note the baby is 4 weeks old now and doesn't have the fluffy white feathers that covers the baby's body is there anything I can add to their diet when I pick them up and is there anything I should ask the doctor to look at while they're there. I saw on another thread that someone was talking about a Crop Swab should I get that tested? Or is getting a fecal test is enough.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
UPDATE!! Okay So I forgot to get a better picture of the toes, but right now Anjanath which is now the baby's name Anji for short, is at the vet's office until Saturday getting their toe treatment. Hopefully it helps. On another note the baby is 4 weeks old now and doesn't have the fluffy white feathers that covers the baby's body is there anything I can add to their diet when I pick them up and is there anything I should ask the doctor to look at while they're there. I saw on another thread that someone was talking about a Crop Swab should I get that tested? Or is getting a fecal test is enough.
So glad they are getting treatment do they know what it is ?