• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help! with Baby Conure

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
So this is the first time this happened to me and it's definitely gonna be the last. So my Sun Conure lay her regular winter batch of eggs because after she's done with sitting and brooding on the eggs she'll normally give up and abandon them and go back to being her spoilt self until winter time again, and I do normally checked them even though all the batching since she started had been duds. This time I didn't check them and was ready for her to give and and move on until I heard chirping coming from one of the eggs. I have never dealt with egg hatched babies and I don't want to thank goodness it was only the one that hatched and the other 2 were duds, I checked. So needless to say I'm not gonna let another one hatch again and I read on this forum to boil the eggs 4 days after they are layed so I'm 100% gonna do that from now on.

Baby Bird

The link is a Video of the the baby conure, I had just took him/her out to clean the nest box that the mother and baby sleeps in. So I want to know is that normal breathing for a baby that small and it makes a tiny click noise when sleeping only again is that normal for baby Conures. The baby doesn't sleep open mouth I've watched him/her sleep to observed their behavior, also I should mention that in this video the baby is 2 weeks old and well the only thing again that the baby does is sleep on their stomach but my Sun Conure the baby mother sleeps like that too so I know that's a normal thing for Conures.

If there's anything else I should know please help.

I would like to mention I do know how to hand feed birds but never this young, and Bastion the Sun Conure is doing a good job feeding the baby thankfully.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh goodness :wideyed:

Welcome to the Avenue!

I wish I could offer help, but I have no doubt someone better equipped will be along. Do you have an incubator or anything like that? How warm in the room/nest box?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
And how’s she handling it? Is she acting like mom or ignoring it?

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
No she's acting like a mom, she's feeding the baby and sleeping with he/she at nights, she loves her baby...lol

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No she's acting like a mom, she's feeding the baby and sleeping with he/she at nights, she loves her baby...lol
That’s a good start! Hopefully it stays that way, it would be a lot easier on you I think!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The baby looks to be a good size and well-fed. it sounds like mom is doing fine feeding and keeping the little one warm. Some conure babies sleep on their stomachs and some sleep on their backs. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
Oh goodness :wideyed:

Welcome to the Avenue!

I wish I could offer help, but I have no doubt someone better equipped will be along. Do you have an incubator or anything like that? How warm in the room/nest box?
My room that the Baby and mom sleeps in is my bedroom is at a nice warm but not too hot temperature plus if it's the mom sleeps with the baby... because of the them I can't use my A/C so I'm the one dying in my room while they sleep in comfort...:dead::dead::lol:

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
The baby looks to be a good size and well-fed. it sounds like mom is doing fine feeding and keeping the little one warm. Some conure babies sleep on their stomachs and some sleep on their backs. I wouldn't worry about it much.
Oh thank goodness, because I saw the baby sleeping on their back and I didn't know if that's normal or okay for the baby because of the full crop.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Looks great to me as well. As long as the mom is feeding I would let her feed until the baby is weaned. You only mention the mother… there’s a dad in there somewhere but you don’t mention him. Do you keep the pair of adults together and does the male also go in the nest to feed? What type of nesting material do you have in the box and how deep do you fill the nesting material? Can you share a photo of the nest box?

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
Looks great to me as well. As long as the mom is feeding I would let her feed until the baby is weaned. You only mention the mother… there’s a dad in there somewhere but you don’t mention him. Do you keep the pair of adults together and does the male also go in the nest to feed? What type of nesting material do you have in the box and how deep do you fill the nesting material? Can you share a photo of the nest box?
I didn't mentioned him because he doesn't go near the baby, the mother don't let him. All my birds have free range of my room and so they fly where they want and Senu the male flies and sit with me by the computer all day long. Every now and then the male goes to the nest box by not in it. The mom do all the work raring the baby.

And no he don't stay with the mother and baby at nights, he prefers to sleep in his cage.

The baby is in a container lined with paper towels.

Attachments

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
Luckily all my birds live in harmony, they have their own section of the room they play and hang out in and the all eat together when it's dinner other than that none of my birds go near the baby and mother and Bastion and baby are only disturbed when I'm cleaning out the paper towels of poop.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You need proper nesting materials so your baby doesn’t end up with splayed legs

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
ah okay... so will a paper shreds will that work as well?
I’m glad I asked to see what the nest looked like. I would not personally use paper shreds but they will work in a pinch until you get the ‘proper’ nesting material suggested as soon as you can. I would use three inches of thickness at the least and pack it down a bit with your fist to create a slight bowl indention for the baby to stay in. ( The entire container- not just one end). Keeping a baby on a flat surface like you have now highly increases the chance this baby will end up with legs splayed out to the side. It’s a horrible disability to try to correct so the sooner you get the correct substrate the Better for the baby. What are you feeding the mother? She should have an ample diet if she is the sole provider of a food source for the baby.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I didn't mentioned him because he doesn't go near the baby, the mother don't let him. All my birds have free range of my room and so they fly where they want and Senu the male flies and sit with me by the computer all day long. Every now and then the male goes to the nest box by not in it. The mom do all the work raring the baby.

And no he don't stay with the mother and baby at nights, he prefers to sleep in his cage.

The baby is in a container lined with paper towels.
How many birds are in your room free range? All the same species?

Bastion

Meeting neighbors
I’m glad I asked to see what the nest looked like. I would not personally use paper shreds but they will work in a pinch until you get the ‘proper’ nesting material suggested as soon as you can. I would use three inches of thickness at the least and pack it down a bit with your fist to create a slight bowl indention for the baby to stay in. ( The entire container- not just one end). Keeping a baby on a flat surface like you have now highly increases the chance this baby will end up with legs splayed out to the side. It’s a horrible disability to try to correct so the sooner you get the correct substrate the Better for the baby. What are you feeding the mother? She should have an ample diet if she is the sole provider of a food source for the baby.
Okay I'll do that tomorrow then with the nesting stuff. I feed her like steam broccoli because that's the only way she'll eat it, same with carrots some other veggies and grapes or apples as her fruit of choice and she gets a small amount of mixed seeds