• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Need help with Baby Aracari

nizakov

Moving in
Re: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly About Green Aracaris

Please help! I got a baby aracari today. Baby is around 6 weeks old. He makes a very strange sound when in incubator. It sounds like he has trouble breathing. Out of incubator he is fine. What incubator temperature should I keep? For how long should I incubate the baby? I will appreciate any advise.
Thank you.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I hope someone comes along quickly with some answers for you

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
He may be panting if it gets too hot in there, be sure to keep an eye on the temperature. Does your baby have feathers, and what specie is it?

I am not a vet, nor a breeder of these birds, but I do recommend seeing one as soon as possible, or speaking to a skilled breeder of aracaris.

However, what I have found on various specie profiles leads me to believe your aracari is old enough to not need to be placed in an incubator if its environment is warm and draft-free. This is based off of the readings I have done on the Collared and Curl Crested Aracaris. The time of infancy varies from specie to specie, however, and this may not be true for your baby. I really do recommend speaking to a breeder, or researching the reproductive cycle of your individual baby's specie. Best of luck!

Last edited:

nizakov

Moving in
Thank you very much for the respond. My baby is a Green Aracari. He has some feathers, but not completely covered yet. Unfortunately, there are not too much information on the internet about aracaris. But he is so adorable!

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Where did you get this bird and why was he not weaned when you got him? Can you ask the person who sold him to you? Or better yet, can he take the bird back until it is weaned?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:( What are you feeding him, have you ever fed a baby bird? I would say 80-90 degrees F at least until you verify the correct temperature. Unfortunately we do not have anyone here that has bred aracaris. Just people who keep them, and we've never had anyone with one this young. Please join this group on yahoo, and ask Jerry Jennings who owns Emerald Forest Bird Gardens your questions~ You should get a response fairly quick. There are a few who breed them in this group. TOUCANS_RAMPHASTIDS : TOUCANS_RAMPHASTIDS

Rabbit

Walking the driveway
Jerry is an absolutely amazing source for information, and is rather good about getting back to people within a 24 hour or so time period. My roomate purchased her curl-crested aracari from him and that bird is just a love. They are wonderful, but rather specialized birds.

nizakov

Moving in
:( What are you feeding him, have you ever fed a baby bird? I would say 80-90 degrees F at least until you verify the correct temperature. Unfortunately we do not have anyone here that has bred aracaris. Just people who keep them, and we've never had anyone with one this young. Please join this group on yahoo, and ask Jerry Jennings who owns Emerald Forest Bird Gardens your questions~ You should get a response fairly quick. There are a few who breed them in this group. TOUCANS_RAMPHASTIDS : TOUCANS_RAMPHASTIDS
I never hand fed a baby bird before. I am feeding him papaya, bananas and soaked Zuprim low iron pellets.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought there is a formula for them? Do you understand what aspiration is?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I thought I would update that this member took my advice. She has written to the yahoo group and is getting excellent advice, including Jerry Jennings' personal phone number!:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Oh and Jerry said 85F for the brooder, so I was kind of right.:dance4:{just in case anyone does a search}

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: so adorable..so glad he is doing well!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..he is adorable Nelly!:heart: You did good!:hug8: